mtbr member

Seeking advice converting from 3x9 to 2x10

My rear derailleur crapped out and my front is all rusted and ugly so I think this is a good opportunity to upgrade to a 2x10. (It is my understanding that I can do this with my existing wheels, unlike upgrading to a 1x11.)

According to an article I read a while back on mtbr, I think, the components I'm interested in because of their "best value" are:

Rear shifter: XTR
    Rear derailleur: SLX or XT (medium cage?)
    Front shifter: SLX or Deore
    Front deraileur: XTR

Also, I'd need a new chain (XTR?), cassette (XT, 11T-36T), and cables. Have any of you done this upgrade? You see any problems I might encounter? Any other advice I should consider, like ways to save money or get a better value (even if it costs a little more)?

In the mean time I will continue to do more research.

Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For best value, I'd probably go Deore or SLX across the board.

What's your plan for your crank?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Hey AndrwSwitch,

I appreciate the feedback. I found the article I based my choices from: Shimano Components: Where to Spend Your Money - Mtbr.com

For my ~10 years old XT cranks, I will add a bash guard with the 2 new rings. That would work fine, right?

I ride fairly aggressively on cross country trails and really should/will buy a newer all mountain bike with 6 inches of travel but I also want this current bike to be a reliable back up.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why don't you just buy a couple new derailleurs and call it a day? If there's nothing wrong with your shifters, that should get you back into nice shifts.

If what you really want is a new bike, own that.

I appreciate having a 'B' bike. Right now, it's set up 3x9. I don't really want to replace everything and I can't say the 2x10 drivetrain on my other bike has affected much of anything except that cassettes and chains for it cost more.

I'd take that article with a grain of salt. It was written by an employee of a company that profits from you believing what they say. It links to stuff they want to sell you. It presupposes that you were thinking of buying Shimano's most expensive line and proposes to get you the same performance for a bit less "or you can just go ahead and buy XTR Di2." You've been riding for ten years on a mix of less fancy stuff, though.

As far as the cranks are concerned, there's enough conflicting information out there to make me nervous. But I think putting 10-speed rings on will get everything to play nicely.

Think about what it is that you really want. Is it XTR? Is it a blend of expensive components that performs almost as well? Is it good value? That'll make this stuff a bit more clear, I think.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    or go 1x10

narrow wide whoever chainring for you current crank

Sram whatever shifter and rear derailleur, sram stuff works better with my next suggestion

Sunrace 10 speed cassette 11-42 or 11-40

or just skip 10 speeds all together and go right to 11. Sram's cassette is the only one that won't work with your current wheelset.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...in-993314.html
    Last edited by canker; 11-06-2015 at 03:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for yall's advice. I'm thinking I'll go with the 2 new derailleurs and be done-with-it path. Then focus my research and money on a newer complete bike. Maybe do the 1x11 way down the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would suggest skipping 10sp and upgrading to Shimano's 1x11, which will work with your current wheelset. It has a better feel than 10sp, can reach a wider range than 1x10, has more chain wrap, less chain slap, etc. It's slightly nicer than 10sp in a bunch of small ways that add up.

A downside is that you can't get quite the wide gearing range as 2x10 (or 2x11), but for many people in many places an 11-42 cassette is plenty wide with an appropriately sized chainring.

Your parts choices might look like this:

Rear Derailleur: XT, medium cage (RD-M8000-GS)
    Cassette: XT, 11-42T (CS-M8000)
    Chain: XT/Ultegra 11sp (CN-HG700-11)
    Shifter: XTR, right only (SL-M9000-R)
    Chainring: Any 104BCD 30T-36T narrow-wide, round or oval, depending on your preferences.

Being able to use an oval ring is a big reason for me personally to go to 1x10 or 1x11. Easier to maintain traction on slippery climbs, easier on the knees (less painful if you are recovering from an injury or have joint issues), easier to turn over at a low RPM. A lot of people (myself included) wouldn't go back, but they might not be for everyone. But you can't shift an oval, so using a front derailleur disqualifies you from even trying one.

If you went with that part list, the Shimano stuff would come to $300ish from the usual discount online retailers (plus $35-$65 for a good chainring). If you went 10sp, those same level parts would be about $80 less, but then you would only have an 11-36t cassette, and adding an expander cog or going 2x10 would make it the same cost or more expensive than 1x11.

I personally agree with most of what the article you linked says, assuming you're looking at all new high-end parts. In the case of Shimano 1x11, there is no SLX or lower yet. For $40 more I'd rather have an XTR shifter, since it'll have a bigger impact than an XTR derailleur and is the pary you're least likely to have to replace, but the XT works very well too.

mtbr member
    Interesting, lazarus. I appreciate it! I read something recently about the oval chainring and was intrigued.