Sand in drivetrain?- Mtbr.com
    Out there
    Aug 2006

Sand in drivetrain?

I just put some slicks on my niner SIR9 for commuting and noticed that the drivetrain feels really crunchy. I missed it before with the knobblies. It ony has about 200 miles on it. Everything is tight and adjusted properly, from the cleats to the cassette via the bottom bracket and cranks and chainrings... but still when I stand on the pedals I can feel a little crunch.

Last week we were in Kingdom Trails after a lot of rain, which meant going through 18-inch deep mud wallows, and my regular daily commute involves crossing a sandy beach, and about 5 miles of trail alongside it, so I'm thinking it's sand/grit in the chain. It feels gritty when I manipulate it. I've tried cleaning it with a cloth and so on but the grit seems to be right in the links. Any suggestions for getting/keeping it out?

My commute is so sandy and ditto all my regular rides that I am going to be continually cleaning it out unless I can figure or way to keep it out, or decide to just live with it.

Sep 2006
    No way to keep it out other then don't ride on it.
    How you were able to pedal through foot and half of mud is a mystery to me but anyways all you can do is treat your drivetrain like a firearm and clean it after every use or two.

I deal with alot of sand in the weak river trails near my house and it's the only way I've found to deal with it.

Get some good oil, a toothbrush and a rag.
    After that just go to town.

The beginners forum has a guide to help you clean your drive train.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    'twas more like six inches of mud and twelve inches of very muddy water... with no hard boundary between the two...

local trails rider
    Maybe use something like the Parktool Chain Scrubber to clean the chain once in a while. Some of the really meticulous guys remove the chain, put it in a jar with some degreaser, shake, leave for a week, shake some more, etc. Then dry and lube the chain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Use a chain with quick link

I like to use a SRAM chain or one similar with a quick link. I pull the chain off, put it in a gatorade bottle with some degreaser and shake it until it is clean, wipe it off, reinstall, and lube.

mtbr member
    Regular chain cleaning is a great idea, either by removing or the park chain cleaner ( chain gang?) I would invest in a bottle of pedros Ice Wax to lube the chain with. Lube the chain the night before you use the bike to let the wax set up. I use this stuff in very sandy conditions and it works better than all the other lubes I have tried.Just follow the directions on the bottle .

Members who have read this thread: 0