road bike drivetrain question- Mtbr.com
    bust a move

road bike drivetrain question

I have an old trek 2200 with 105 dt. Middle chainring is shot but I want to replace every thing as it is extra high mile. I have not needed to take this drivetrain apart before and my old square taper park crank puller would not remove these cranks. Does someone know what puller I need and also if it is wise to replace with the same shimano level or would ultegra be a better choice? Appreciate any help!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

High Gravity Haze
    Is it a 9sp Octalink crank?

The newer Ultegra 6700 series is sweet, but so is the newer 105 series. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

bust a move
    I do not see the word octalink anywhere but it is 9spd and is 105 and says hollowtech in small print. It is pretty old, like 99ish. Sounds like both levels are nice so maybe I'll do a little shopping. I will see if park has a specific octalink puller. Thanks
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

High Gravity Haze
    If it is an Octalink crank, there is a built in extractor. The thing that looks like the old style axle end dust cap with an 8mm allen bolt head stays on while you turn the allen bolt. That creates the negative force to pull the arm off and no special tool needed.

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    If it is an Octalink crank, there is a built in extractor. The thing that looks like the old style axle end dust cap with an 8mm allen bolt head stays on while you turn the allen bolt. That creates the negative force to pull the arm off and no special tool needed.
    Turn this bolt with allen to remove crank? Does the big O around the hollowtech stand for Octalink? If so...doh and double doh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails road bike drivetrain question-sam_0031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's a hollowtech 1 crank with an octalink bb the old square taper puller wiil work you just need an insert.

bust a move
    Where would I get the insert? shimano part?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    Where would I get the insert? shimano part?
    The older style crank pullers had a narrower tip which was meant to engage the square taper spindles. With the advent of Octalink and ISIS style bottom brackets (keep in mind these are not interchangeable), the old crank puller's tips were too narrow and would not engage the bottom bracket spindle properly. The newer crank pullers come with two tips to allow for use with either square taper or Octalink/ISIS bottom brackets.

It's been awhile since I've had a bike with Octalink/ISIS drivetrain, but I believe nickels (or was it a dime?) could be used as an insert. You basically need a coin or some other contraption to rest between the bottom bracket spindle and the older style crank puller. Sometimes the coin can get bent and pushed into the hollow spindle (just tap it out from the other side with a long screw driver or bolt). It's a federal offense to destroy US currency; so I just want to declare that I've never destroyed any coins in the process .
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Former Bike Wrench
    Check with an LBS, newer crank pullers are made for Octalink and ISIS...or they may have one of those old adapters that Shimano shipped with the cranks when they first came out many years ago.

mtbr member
    Slightly OT, but it is not a federal offense to destroy a penny. This is why those machines that smash a penny and emboss it are legal. Also why the Cutco guys can cut a penny with their shears.

bust a move
    Thanks for the replies, I'll pick up a newer puller.

Fat-tired Roadie
    FWIW, I've got a road bike that age and the new 105 chainrings drop right in in place of the stock ones. Replaced the outer and middle rings on it last Spring. I think if this is the first time you've had to replace your middle ring, you've got a few more miles left on it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    FWIW, I've got a road bike that age and the new 105 chainrings drop right in in place of the stock ones. Replaced the outer and middle rings on it last Spring. I think if this is the first time you've had to replace your middle ring, you've got a few more miles left on it.
    Thanks, that is what I ended up doing. Outer & middle rings, chain and cassette.

Hopefully it should make the "ole girl" happy again.

Members who have read this thread: 0