mtbr member

Replacing the M970 XTR middle ring

I bought M970 cranks from my friend with a 38t non-shimano chain ring. (He had sold the orginal 32t to someone else). Now I have a 22T 38T Bashguard combo and the shifting sucks.

I need to replace the 38T with a 32T, but I cannot find M970 Shimano 32T chainrings anywhere in Europa.

The question is: Can I use any non shimano 32T chainring?

MTJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Probably

The XTR uses a 104 mm bolt circle. You should, theoretically anyway, be able to use any 104 mm chainring. XTR stuff is notorious for not playing well with others, though.

Then again I don't imagine a non-XTR chainring of the correct size would shift worse than what's on there now. I also understand that adding international shipping to an already outrageously priced XTR ring would be a lot of money to cough up.

I'd look around for a cheap 104mm in the right size and try it out, if you're not happy with it you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and ship one from the US.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you tried setting up the dérailleur so you can shift to the third ring (even though you have a bash ring) so you can get more leverage then shift back to the middle ring after it climbs the 38T? Just adjust the limit screw to the outside ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    Have you tried setting up the dérailleur so you can shift to the third ring (even though you have a bash ring) so you can get more leverage then shift back to the middle ring after it climbs the 38T? Just adjust the limit screw to the outside ring.
    Yes, I have it like that now... and my X.O/XTR pair screams in agony trying to pull the chain up to the 38T. I will try a Middleburn Slickshift chainring...

ups and downs
    $121 US for a 32T XTR 970 middle ring. Definitely not cheap.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    xt will fit and should have the same ramping and pins, the xtr is expensive because its ti & carbon

but Diggin the 1 x 14 too

970 Xtr Rings

Quote Originally Posted by steelduck
    I bought M970 cranks from my friend with a 38t non-shimano chain ring. (He had sold the orginal 32t to someone else). Now I have a 22T 38T Bashguard combo and the shifting sucks.

I need to replace the 38T with a 32T, but I cannot find M970 Shimano 32T chainrings anywhere in Europa.

The question is: Can I use any non shimano 32T chainring?

...TRY ebay - i just saw 3 2007 - M970 XTR chainrings for sale!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    xt will fit and should have the same ramping and pins, the xtr is expensive because its ti & carbon
    Can I use 2006 M960 XTR middle ring? Those are freely available here?

banned
    Sep 2005
    '06 won't work on there, unfortunately.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I dont think so, the 07s changed the bolt pattern to xt style, but if the bolt holes line up it should be ok

but Diggin the 1 x 14 too

xtr chainrings

...2006 XTR chainrings will NOT FIT the 2007 cranks, sorry to say! The system works best and is LIGHTEST with the 2007 parts. good luck.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    actually I think the o6 XTs will work but not the 06 XTR

I Love my Rize

No good XT chainrings rot

I wouldn't put any XT ring on there as they are the WORST chainrings made. You would be better off with the lowly Deore steel chainring. At least it would last and not but subject to killer chainsuck and skipping like the XT.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    I wouldn't put any XT ring on there as they are the WORST chainrings made. You would be better off with the lowly Deore steel chainring. At least it would last and not but subject to killer chainsuck and skipping like the XT.
    never had a problem with xt on 3 diff. bikes

I Love my Rize

You must be the only one

never had a problem with xt on 3 diff. bikes
    This is the worst rating on the board. Pretty much everything they say is true and then some. Read and weep

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chainrin...ct_20628.shtml
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    This is the worst rating on the board. Pretty much everything they say is true and then some. Read and weep

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chainrin...ct_20628.shtml
    you need to read the reviews with an unbiased eye, first most of those reviews are 5-6 years old, the 2 or 3 that are from 05 or 06 could still be for older products. look at all the other rings reviewed (at least look at the ones with at least 10 reviews) every one of them has complaints. Its been my experience that half if not more complaints are not because of product defects, usually the person complainig either isnt using the product for what it was designed for (big heavy freerider on a xc lightweight bike) or maybe didnt setup the product properly or didnt maintain it .
    as an example, a coupel of reviewers had enduro bikes, I have an 05 and an06 enduro both with xt rings and both never had a problem. I dont ride in wet conditions if I can help it and I clean and lube my bike after every ride. 6 of the people I ride with have xt, 2 have xtr also no problems.
    Its been my experience that chain suck is usually caused by dirty or worn chain rings, now if you ride in mud alot (notice alot of the bad reviews were from the UK) your equipment will wear out faster
    another problem is people will put on new rings but leave the old chain, which will cause the new rings to wear out faster
    so, bottom line. take any reviews with a grain of salt , you dont know anything about who wrote it or what level of expertise they do or dont have
    I stand by my ealier statement
    I have had several bikes with xt rings without any problems what so ever

I Love my Rize
    Never had chainsuck in any condition with a Deore steel ring. Lasts fo a easy 2 years in mud, wet sand or anything else. Last year at Sea Otter the biggest complaint was everybodys garbage XT rings sucking so bad they had to stop and clean them in order to move. XT rings are good for the parking lot though if there are no puddles.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Never had chainsuck in any condition with a Deore steel ring. Lasts fo a easy 2 years in mud, wet sand or anything else. Last year at Sea Otter the biggest complaint was everybodys garbage XT rings sucking so bad they had to stop and clean them in order to move. XT rings are good for the parking lot though if there are no puddles.
    so bottom line is steel rings are better?
    or is my original statement about the reviews on target
    i.e. xt aluminum rings are not meant to used for extreme muddy conditions because soft aluminum will wear out too fast with abrasive mud?

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, I have it like that now... and my X.O/XTR pair screams in agony trying to pull the chain up to the 38T. I will try a Middleburn Slickshift chainring...
    I would try a smaller chain ring. That might be the biggest problem. Maybe 32-35. 36 if you got the cash to spare to buy a smaller one if it does'nt work out. A jump from 22T to 38t is a whole 16T.

Your lucky that you got the new XTR crank you can find more options at a cheaper price.

I Love my Rize

Xt are

so bottom line is steel rings are better?
    or is my original statement about the reviews on target
    i.e. xt aluminum rings are not meant to used for extreme muddy conditions because soft aluminum will wear out too fast with abrasive mud?

They are great cranks with nasty chainrings, Put the steel ones on and then you will have a real durable set up and stiff. Alu rings wear way faster even without mud. And yea, I think steel rings are MUCH better.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

I Love my Rize

About as much as the change in your pocket

Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Steel rings are ridiculously heavy and have NO advantage over aluminum rings. I know half a dozen people with aluminum XT or XTR rings and they are smooth shifting as can be. Keep your drivetrain in good shape and you don't have to resort to cheap steel rings.

That's the difference in weight. N0 advantage, you must be kidding right I don't see much less durability as being a advantage. On a trail bike alu rings have no use IMO. But to each their own. Fact is lighter is not always better. Just make sure you stay out of the rain and mud and you might be fine.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

banned
    Sep 2005
    Steel rings are ridiculously heavy and have NO advantage over aluminum rings. I know half a dozen people with aluminum XT or XTR rings and they are smooth shifting as can be. Keep your drivetrain in good shape and you don't have to resort to cheap steel rings.

banned
    Sep 2005
    That's the difference in weight. N0 advantage, you must be kidding right I don't see much less durability as being a advantage. On a trail bike alu rings have no use IMO. But to each their own. Fact is lighter is not always better. Just make sure you stay out of the rain and mud and you might be fine.
    So you're telling me that after riding a season of heavy mud, grit and snow my aluminum chainrings are shot? I beg to differ. I've ridden aluminum chainrings for years, in all kinds of conditions, and I've never had any of the problems you claim are SO prevalent.

But hey, that's your business if you want to use cheap quality steel crap on a nice bike. No skin off my back.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My cheap Deore hollowtech square taper crank set comes in heavier than my Saint crank set. The difference is steel.

Heavy

mtbr member
    May 2006

Get a Cycle Dynamics Titanium middle ring

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/granny.html

Cycle Dynamics do a Titanium middle and inner ring for XTR and they are a US company.

I have used one for a long time, I recon they last about four times longer than a standard Aluminium Shimano one.

Make sure you get the spacers with the ring though as it is slightly thinner than a Shimano.

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My advice is to put a 24T granny ring. 14T of difference shouldn't be as big problem as 16T. Maybe the big chainring has bad shifting ramps and pins?

Members who have read this thread: 0