Replacement cassette rec for x-caliber...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Replacement cassette rec for x-caliber...

I have a 2012 x-cal and the cassette is wearing out. I probably only have 250 miles on it.

It has the Shimano HG62 11-36, 10 speed cassette.

Should i get another like this or would i benefit from an upgrade?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    The only reason to upgrade is to go lighter or if you plan of getting a wheelset with an alloy freehub body that requires a cassette with a aluminum carrier holding the 6 largest cogs. Otherwise cassettes are wear items.

However, I have to ask what makes you think your cassette is worn out after only 250 miles. They should easily last 4x that long or more!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have something on the lower call cogs that have stars on them.

When I apply pressure in peddling when I have the chain in the lower cogs the gears will sometimes slip without shifting.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement cassette rec for x-caliber...-uploadfromtaptalk1345757413422.jpg  

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    I have something on the lower call cogs that have stars on them.

When I apply pressure in peddling when I have the chain in the lower cogs the gears will sometimes slip without shifting.

Thanks
    get a hanger alignment tool... from the sounds you have a slightly out hanger .. those dimples are cause by the chain not seating square on the cassette and/or the chain has stretched and riding up on the teeth of the cassette. if they are only on the outside of the tooth then most likely it's both as the chain is riding up the tooth from being stretched and pulling off the one side as it enters the cassette from the derailleur..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    More likely a bent derailleur or derailleur hanger.
    Make sure your cable tension is correct as well.
    If either of the above is off, your shifting will be terrible, while the cassette itself might be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let me just explain the situation a little better. The shifting is ok. The problem occurs when i i am locked in gear and not shifting. It is something that happens more so when peddling hard. When i peddle easy or moderate there is no problem. It is not constant but is annoying when try to power up hills.

Thanks

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    Let me just explain the situation a little better. The shifting is ok. The problem occurs when i i am locked in gear and not shifting. It is something that happens more so when peddling hard. When i peddle easy or moderate there is no problem. It is not constant but is annoying when try to power up hills.

Thanks

Like we both said.. bent hanger ( I wasn't that clear and was pointing to the tool to fix it)

a bent hanger will make "ghost shifting" I have a vid that shows it but worse than what you have... a slightly out hanger will be OK on the stand but when you apply pressure/torque. the out of alignment chain hitting the cassette will stress and pop off a gear...

get a hanger alignment tool...

Trail Tire TV: Fix ghost shifting
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, if you're looking to replace the cassette, staying with the 11-36 ratio is a good idea, but not necessary if you want to change things up. Basically, your original cassette is a decent component, but not too impressive. If you want to save money, replace it with an identical unit. If you want to lighten up your bike, spend more and get a nicer (lighter) cassette. When you spend more on a cassette, you're pretty much just paying for less weight. Of course, having a light, expensive cassette can be a good motivator to measure your chain frequently and replace it before it stretches and damages cassette and chainring teeth.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Oh, also check your "B" screw adj.. having it tooo far out will cause the tooth flair like that...

Members who have read this thread: 0