A Man Of The Truth

New question here. Removing Stripped Cranks?

Removing Stripped Cranks?-badcranks.jpg

Any tips for removing cranks from a bike when the crank arm puller pulled all the threads off the crank arm instead of pulling the crank arm?

I'm moving all components from my previous bike with a cracked frame over to this frame, including BB and cranks. The other crank came right off but the drive side pulled itself right out. Yes I threaded it in all the way. I tried a second time and of course got the same result. In years passed when I had this problem (back when I still rode bikes with these style cranks) I'd go ride around the block until the crank finally worked loose and fell off. But I can't really do that here.
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    A gear puller will work or put some penetrating oil on/in the spindle and then use a punch and heavy hammer from the other side to get it off.

The gear puller is more elegant but at the end of the day it's going to take brute force to remove it.

OR: As you're moving parts to a new frame and you're going to need a new crank anyway just leave the old BB and crank on the cracked frame, save yourself some time, swearing, bruised knuckles, blood, sweat and tears and just go buy a new BB to go with your new crank.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    A gear puller will work or put some penetrating oil on/in the spindle and then use a punch and heavy hammer from the other side to get it off.

The gear puller is more elegant but at the end of the day it's going to take brute force to remove it.

OR: As you're moving parts to a new frame and you're going to need a new crank anyway just leave the old BB and crank on the cracked frame, save yourself some time, swearing, bruised knuckles, blood, sweat and tears and just go buy a new BB to go with your new crank.
    This is the old BB/Crank I'm trying to remove. Off the good bike. I have access to a gear puller, I'll try that and hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    This is the old BB/Crank I'm trying to remove. Off the good bike. I have access to a gear puller, I'll try that and hopefully it works.
    If it's really "on there" when it releases it will go with a big "crack" or "bang"... just prepare yourself because first time I had to do this I cr@pped myself.

mtbr member
    Go for a ride and it will eventually fall off.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    My suggestion would be to leave it on the cracked frame and get a new BB and crank for the new bike. Since it's stripped, it's shot anyway. You can get a new Suntour crank for $30 and a new square taper cartridge BB is like $20.
    Do the math.

A Man Of The Truth
    THIS IS THE GOOD FRAME. I'm taking this junk crank off so I can put my old XT on there. Why would I be bothering with a beat suntour crank that was stuck in a cracked frame?

mtbr member
    Do you have a threaded bb with external bearings?

I had this happen once and used vice grips to loosen the bb which pushed the crank arm off.

mtbr member
    If the gear puller doesn't work break out the sawsall.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

SS Pusher Man
    If it is the GOOD frame....put the crank bolt back in and back it off a thread or 2. Then go for a ride. It'll loosen up on the spindle.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Go for a ride and it will eventually fall off.
    Right?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You've got the NDS crank off, so you can put it back on so both cranks are parallel and then use a car jack. This has worked for me.

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I used a cheap 3 jaw gear puller from auto parts store along with a small section of copper pipe and I think a 10 mm socket. The pipe holds the socket and fits over the end of the puller and helped keep it pushing on the axle. Popped right off.

A Man Of The Truth
    I've been at this for hours today and I'm getting nowhere at all.
    I tried the gear puller method. The only thing to hook it to are the steel chainrings. It pulled right through the chainrings without any budging at all.

Removing Stripped Cranks?-img_7272.jpg

It's actually worse than pictured. I kept going and it kept tearing it apart. Then I was able to hook them on the middle ring and it tore right through that too. Now theres really no place left to hook a gear puller.

I tried hammering it, hard, back and forth, for over an hour. No movement at all. I tried prying with the back of the hammer against the BB and unsurprisingly, no luck.

The chainrings are riveted on so I can't remove them to try to get better access.

And riding the bike is not an option. It's freezing out, this bike has no brakes, the crank and chanrings are beat to shit, the bike's original drive train is already trashed and removed and replaced with my modern(ish) one. There's no way to get this bike rideable.

Because it's still on the bike and everything is so close together, there's not a lot of access to even cut it off. It's very important that I don't mess up this frame. But the cranks/bb are junk and can get destroyed.

Next I'm going to try to heat up the spindle very hot, then hammer off the cranks. If that doesn't work, maybe I can use a hand hacksaw and reach the spindle. If so, I'll be sawing for days but eventually I'll get it off.

A Man Of The Truth
    That's odd, this forum rotated the image when I uploaded it.

mtbr member
    ^ If you have a sawsall you could easily cut that off...like 30 seconds easy. Safer to your frame than heat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pickle fork, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbui...iABEgLyj_D_BwE

This will get it off. Slide between the BB shell and crank and hammer away. Also, good idea with heating it up, temperature variations have helped me get many things separated

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Pickle fork, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbui...iABEgLyj_D_BwE

This will get it off. Slide between the BB shell and crank and hammer away. Also, good idea with heating it up, temperature variations have helped me get many things separated
    I'd be afraid that would damage the frame. These are internal bearings so that would be rubbing between the crank and the frame, not crank and BB bearings?

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^ If you have a sawsall you could easily cut that off...like 30 seconds easy. Safer to your frame than heat.
    I don't have one. But would a regular metal cutting blade even work on a BB spindle, or would you need one of those fancy diamond encrusted blades?

mtbr member
    I don't have one. But would a regular metal cutting blade even work on a BB spindle, or would you need one of those fancy diamond encrusted blades?
    Any blade would cut that but I'd go with a metal blade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd be afraid that would damage the frame. These are internal bearings so that would be rubbing between the crank and the frame, not crank and BB bearings?
    Most of the older square taper BB's still have a little bit of a "face" that sits outside the actual shell, use the flat portion against that and the tapered portion to wedge the crankset outwards. The BB will get jacked up too, but the frame should still remain in tact if you do it right.

Since you said it is freezing, leave the bike in the coldest spot you can for a long time (overnight?) and then try to warm up just the crankarm itself without warming up the spindle, that should allow for some extra wiggle room. And if you haven't already done it, penetrating lubricant of any sort will help too.

Or just sawsall two notches into the crank/spindle interface and that would do it too.
    I've done all these techniques at the non-profit.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

A Man Of The Truth

Bonking ... not feelin' well

The adventure continues!

Removing Stripped Cranks?-img_7274.jpg

I heated up the crank. Yes, using a candle, not a torch. That's all I had. I left it on there for probably half an hour, with the flame right on the bolt hole in the crank. It got good and hot. I quickly flipped it up and started bashing it with a hammer but nothing happened.

While I was doing that, I tried prying again with the back of the hammer. I did feel like I was getting some movement, but that movement turned out to be me knocking the chainring bundle off the crank! Oops. But wait! With that off, I now had something I could hook the gear puller to and try that again...

Removing Stripped Cranks?-img_7275.jpg

That's a nice firm grip, that's not going to bend or fall off. That's going to pull until the crank comes off of the puller breaks.

Removing Stripped Cranks?-img_7276.jpg

... the puller broke.
    Well that's all of the good ideas. Time to grab my hack saw, put a fresh blade on it, and start hacking away.

A few minutes of hacking, I took a flashlight to check out the spindle. It had a shiny spot where I had been cutting... that's it, it was shiny. Not even a hint of a notch. So hacksaw is out, and I think that means sawzall without a special blade is also out.

I gave up for today. BUT with the chainrings off the crank (and sorta just floating between the crankarm and the frame), I have a lot more space to hit the arm with a dremel. So tomorrow, I'm going to try to cut through the arm. Hopefully I can cut enough of the arm that it will ease up and come off. But the way things are going, I'm sure this will find a way to not work.

mtbr member
    It doesn't help you, but it's been quite an interesting read

mtbr member
    If you have one of this crown remover tools you may can do it.
    Removing Stripped Cranks?-91590_00_d.jpg

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    If you have one of this crown remover tools you may can do it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91590_00_d.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1237719
    I definitely do not have one of these. I suspect it wouldn't work. A crown should pop up a lot easier than this big solid stuck crank. Also in your photo, what am I supposed to do with the "use threaded rod" holes?

mtbr member
    I definitely do not have one of these. I suspect it wouldn't work. A crown should pop up a lot easier than this big solid stuck crank. Also in your photo, what am I supposed to do with the "use threaded rod" holes?
    That thing is defintely strong enough to strip off your crankarm.
    People use it to remove the steering wheels on cars.
    That what the threads are for.
    Removing Stripped Cranks?-4552_01.jpg
    You can build something like this yourself for cheap with parts from your local DIY store

Time to get hold of an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the BB spindle so you can access the cups to remove the old BB from the frame.

mtbr member
    ... the puller broke.
    Well that's all of the good ideas.

Seriously, before buying any more tools try putting the chain back on and going for a ride.
    I brake for stinkbugs

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Seriously, before buying any more tools try putting the chain back on and going for a ride.
    +1. Listen to JB. He knows what's what.

Then maybe the hammer and a punch...but that was mentioned, too. Someone isn't paying attention?

A Man Of The Truth
    Theres no way to make this bike rideable with this crank still on. You guys can keep suggesting it but it still wont be possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Theres no way to make this bike rideable with this crank still on. You guys can keep suggesting it but it still wont be possible.
    May be dangerous too. Follow the previous advice and use a sawzall. The blades are cheap and I'm willing to bet you have a friend or acquaintance who will loan you one.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    May be dangerous too. Follow the previous advice and use a sawzall. The blades are cheap and I'm willing to bet you have a friend or acquaintance who will loan you one.
    Would definitely be dangerous as I've previously said, disk brake wheels on rim brake bike means no brakes. This bike is for indoor roller use so no need for brakes. Even if the chainrings were still attached and even if they weren't beat to shit with a hammer, it still would not be safe to pedal this bike around outside.

mtbr member
    Didn't realize it was brakeless and unrideable. Sawzall would work. Make sure to get a sharp blade, you've seen how hard those spindles are. you could hack off the chainrings and spider for easier access.

Depending on the BB you may also be able to remove the drive side cup without removing the crankarm.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sawzall is nice, but a hacksaw will work too.
    Do the math.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Sawzall is nice, but a hacksaw will work too.
    As previously stated, I tried a hacksaw and it didn't even leave a mark on the BB spindle. I'm going to cut the crankarm with a dremel. That should cut easily and relatively cleanly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Are both arms stuck? If not, you could try mounting the other arm in the same orientation as this one, tighten it down, turn both toward bottom of frame get a short length of steel pipe (like 1" black steel pipe from home Depot) that would fit between the 2 crank arms with a bit of space, slide up under bottom bracket and use a pry bar placed between the steel pipe piece and stuck crank arm to pry at it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Bill View Post
    Are both arms stuck? If not, you could try mounting the other arm in the same orientation as this one, tighten it down, turn both toward bottom of frame get a short length of steel pipe (like 1" black steel pipe from home Depot) that would fit between the 2 crank arms with a bit of space, slide up under bottom bracket and use a pry bar placed between the steel pipe piece and stuck crank arm to pry at it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    With how stuck it was, I think that would have snapped a crank arm before it slid the stuck crank off. It was crazy stuck. Yes, *was*! Success!!! Details to come...

A Man Of The Truth
    SUCCESS!!! Finally!

I took my dremel, and some cheap large diameter, fiberglass reinforced grinding wheels and cut the top (bottom?) of the crank down to the spindle. I kept going and going until finally it started to wiggle! At that point I was able to remove it with my bare hands. I was on the verge of having trouble with the BB but finally it came lose and I was good to go.

Removing Stripped Cranks?-chop.jpg

Finally, I got this stupid thing off!

Removing Stripped Cranks?-chopped.jpg

BB is nice and clean, ready to go!!!

Removing Stripped Cranks?-empty.jpg

Actually this was before I cleaned it. After taking this pic, I cleaned it, sized up my external BB and XT cranks, threw THREE spacers on there and buttoned it all up nice and snug. It should last forever now . Especially with no outdoor use, only basement use.

Here is the end result, with the "good" parts installed.

Removing Stripped Cranks?-orangebike-.jpg

Shimano XT external BB, with XT cranks. Beat to shit old cranks, with one of the four chainring mounting arms broken off, but still a better crankset than suntour. This bike will never leave my basement but i'm still happy with how it looks. I wish it's previous owner could see it like this.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dremel can fix all!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.