mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Removing SLX crankset for 1x conversion

Hey all

In process of removing my SLX crank arm so that I can unbolt the 2x chain rings and attach my raceface 30t narrow wide . Do I need the tool to remove the black crank arm cap on the non drive train side or is there an easier way to access the hex bolt?

Pairing with a praxis 11-40 on the rear .

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

mtbr member
    Loosen the 2 hex pinch bolts. Stick a long nose pliers in the center plastic cap , spread open the pliers so it catches inside the center cap and turn clockwise. Once its twisted off, just pull the non drive side crank arm and take a rubber pallet and tap the crank out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just tried but the cap doesn't turn much . Afraid it will strip the cap . Clockwise sounds backwards . And it only moved a little .

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlau3 View Post
    Hey all

In process of removing my SLX crank arm so that I can unbolt the 2x chain rings and attach my raceface 30t narrow wide . Do I need the tool to remove the black crank arm cap on the non drive train side or is there an easier way to access the hex bolt?

Pairing with a praxis 11-40 on the rear .

Thanks!

You might be able to get the thing out, but getting it properly back in by hand would be a pain. What you could do is substitute a flat tool if it's the correct width as it doesn't need any real torque. Just enough to take the play out and have it spin freely should do.

Access the hex bolt? There's no hex bolt hiding behind there. There are 2 bolts facing each other that need to be loosened and a plastic spacer that's pinched between them. That needs slid/flipped upwards (one end is hooked over the end of the spindle to help keep it coming out if the bolts loosen). After that the arm should be easy to pull off. If the drive side is a little snug, give it a tap or 2 with a rubber mallet and done.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Just tried but the cap doesn't turn much . Afraid it will strip the cap . Clockwise sounds backwards . And it only moved a little .

Clockwise is backwards. That'll tighten it if it moves at all.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Here's a vid showing how just in case. It's a road bike, but it's the same mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bMyl0dcDW4

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Shit went clockwise and prob tightened it . Can't get it out with no tool . May stop by store tomorrow to pickup a tool or just have them remove the cap

mtbr member
    I've used a big flat head screwdriver in a pinch, you'll need a tool to tighten it anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Those things don't take much torque, but they can get pretty badly seized. I would definitely get the correct tool. They're cheap.

mtbr member

Sorry, had 1 too many beers when i wrote it and left the counter off the clockwise. Even with the correct tool, those things wont budge unless you loosen the pinch bolts first and then it doesnt take much to loosen it.

mtbr member
    You can use a dime and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove and adjust the end cap on the non drive side crank arm

mtbr member
    It doesn't need to be very tight--I just stick a finger in it, wrapped in a thin shop rag, to tighten. Removal is the same. Or use the handle of a small screwdriver, also with a rag wrap...and yes, do loosen the pinch bolts first. (but tighten the arm cap before tightening the pinch bolts when re-installing)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need the tool and wrench to get it off. The cap just preloads so shouldn't be tight but can be

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Personally, I'd really suggest just getting the tool. It'll make the job easier and it's cheap.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...KfBoXtefyguKAO

since 4/10/2009
    Just get the correct tool. Shimano's is just plastic, though I have seen some companies sell colorful machined anodized aluminum ones. It's cheap. Really cheap. If you have any Shimano cranksets, there's really no reason not to have one of these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks all! Ordered the tool online. Didn't want to wait so I brought the bike into my LBS and they removed the cap and installed the raceface 30t chainring for me. Finally done with the conversion and ready to ride. Appreciate all of your tips and help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Found this thread via Google. I can confirm the dime and pliers trick works on the cap. I was able to get the BB shell off using channel locks and an old sock. I have the Park tool to get these back on, but had to get the BB out pronto while traveling.