Recomendations- Mtbr.com

Thread: Recomendations

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Recomendations

Okay, so I never post on this site even though I'm on here all the time. I do have a question for all of you.

I was on a trail yesterday having a great time and then bam....stick kicked up and caught my rear derailleur and twisted my hanger sending the derailleur over the cassette and into my wheel . Needless to say, it was a long walk back to the Jeep (guess I should start carrying pliers with me to bend things back). Anyway, I could probably just bend the hanger back into shape, again, and get everything working (haven't looked closely at the derailleur but it's had a rough life) but I'm thinking it might just be time to replace it. This is where I need the help. I need some recommendations on an inexpensive (lets face it, cheap) rear derailleur for my entry level bike.

I have a '09 hardrock that came stock with a shimano altus derailleur. I have an 8-spd cassette on there since I changed out the wheels to a free hub for a disc brake conversion, but I'm still using the stock 7spd levers. I had it running great so I should be fine with a new derailleur and same levers again (I just had it set to run the lower 7 gears and not go to the highest). I'm running my bike on trails but I'm not doing anything crazy with it....no 10' drops or anything. I just don't want to dump alot of money into my little bike because I'm just going to upgrade in a year or two into a beefier bike.

My other ride is your mom
    check bike swaps in your area....check your LBS as well....many have a bin in the back of old parts that they might part with (pun intended) for a sixer.....

Never trust a fart
    Get a new derailleur - an Altus or Acera will work fine, along with a new derailleur hanger. If it was bent that bad, just replace it. Trying to straighten it out, you'll snap it.

Members who have read this thread: 0