rear gear changing problems, xt/xtr gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

rear gear changing problems, xt/xtr gear

hey guys

i am on a 2010 giant trance X1, its ony done a total of 352km's

ever since it got to the 200km mark i have had it back at one of my local bike shops twice and another shop once to try and fix the gears

from what i can see the deraileur is straight its an XTR shadow deraileur, all the rest of the drivetrain is XT, i am having to push the lever sometimes 3 times to get a gear change. its doing that on both the up and down. when it gets to the lowest gear i have to push really hard on the lever to make it move its so tight. each time i have gone back the the bike shops they have fixed it but 50km's later its back to playing up, i dont have the time and the money to go back to the bike shop that often

everyone tells me its my cable tension but i have tried it at every possible tension now going all the way through the gears and its no different. even when i take the chain off and go through the gears sometimes the derailluer barely even moves even when under tension

starting to really annoy me! any help would be great thanks guys

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you clean and lubricate your derailleur, cable and chain regularly? Sounds like dirt stuck in moving parts to me...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yeah mate every ride i pull the chain off and clean it as i only ride on the weekends
    i lube the moving parts of the front and rear ders about every 2 - 3 rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does the derailleur move freely if you try and move it with your hand? If it does, then the problem is with the cables or shifter, if it doesn't, it is the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slider32
    Does the derailleur move freely if you try and move it with your hand? If it does, then the problem is with the cables or shifter, if it doesn't, it is the derailleur.

Try to eliminate anything you can as a possibility then go after the things you can't rule out. If you rule out the derailleur, inspect the shift cable/housings and rule out any sort of a kink or pinch somewhere. You may want to consider installing a new cable instead of screwing with existing. They are cheap.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds like the cable housings may be coming out of the cable stops, then shifting goes to hell????

Often caused by cable housings that are too short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks guys

yeah the derailer moves freely when i move it manually

also i didnt mention i have removed and lubed the cable housings plus replaced the cable so i am thinking shifter problem as well.

especially when you take the chain off and run through the gears. when changing to a smaller cog from a larger one (in physical size not how hard it is to pedal) sometimes one change will barely move the derailer but the next one will move it about twice as far as it needs to to i guess counteract the change that barely moved. if that makes any sense

Fat-tired Roadie
    How does the shifter feel without a derailleur on the other end of the cable? If the derailleur's moving well and the cables are good, the shifter pod is what's left...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    well i took the bike in this morning and dropped it off, so im not sure about how the shifter feels but thats something i will check when i get it back.

when i took it in i told them whats happening and everything that i have done and they dismissed it as cable tension so i will be back there in another 50kms no doubt

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've just bought a 2011 Giant trance x4. Whilst the bike is brilliant I'm also having the same trouble with the XTR shifters.

I've just purchased a 2011 Giant trance x4. whilst the bike is brilliant I'm also having the same trouble with the XTR shifters.

Went out today to find gear jumping when under pressure (climbing). The triggers will either not shift to the next chain ring or they will move over a couple of rings a considerable amount of time after hitting the triggers.

Ive had it in the garage since getting back and have set-up the rear derailleur as i have done in the past. Whilst shifting is now a little more accurate the shifter will not reach the bottom chain ring (big) or return to small chain ring. Yet the stoppers are set accurately when moving the derailleur manually.

Also one thing to note is the shifter can become very stiff and hard to shove. I've been tempted to drop it in to the local bike shop in the week but am worried after reading this that it will remain a problem.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Simplest answer is that something's dirty or not lubricated. So, clean and lubricate the chain. Do the cassette if it's really nasty, ditto chainrings.

Next simplest answer is that the chain's worn out. Measure it for "stretch."
    Chain Maintenance

After that, look at your cables and housings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Shall do, thanks for feedback. I'll check it all out to further detail tomorrow evening. Hopefully find the problem.

Merendon Junkie
    Maybe there is a problem with the cable routing on these bikes?

Members who have read this thread: 0