Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed

Hi, I recently replaced the rear derailleur, upgrading from 8 speed to 9 speed and now the top of the Rear Derailleur is touching the bottom of the cassette (see pics attached).
    I purchased a Shimano Deore M592 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech, Long Cage, and a Shimano Deore HG50 9 speed Cassette and Chain, giving me 3x9 speed. I also have a Shimano Deore M590 Front Derailleur and Triple Chainset, I did assume they would be compatible. Previously I had been on 3x8 speed but the parts were well worn and needed replacing.
    I can pedal mostly ok on the largest chain ring, although the chain slips at random every 15 mins or so. However on the smallest chain ring the chain slips if I pedal at all 'hard' and on the middle chain ring its unusable, chain is slipping constantly. Not to mention the obvious clicking sound when I'm pedalling, you can see from the photo how the cassette is touching or too close to the R.D.
    Cassette, Chain Rear Derailleur all new, Chainset 6 months older, I cycle to work most days about 5 miles a day so its had a fair bit of usage but the previous chainset lasted 8 years?! The rear derailleur pulls down fine and seems nice and bouncy although just springs back up when I let it go.
    Chain length: I'm not 100% sure I've got it right but when on the the largest rings there's not much slack, doesn't feel like it can afford to take out many more links.
    Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed-sg108769.jpg  

Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed-sg108770.jpg  

Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed-sg108771.jpg  

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thanks for your reply, I have the B-Link screw tightened up as far as it will go, if that sounds right. I can see it has helped push the Derailleur body down but not down far down enough to look and feel right.
    It looks like if the screw was longer it would've allowed me to tighten it further, and push the body further down. What if I were to source a longer screw with the same thread, worth a try or is that just daft?
    [incidentally why do Shimano supply such soft, poor quality screws? I've only used it twice, very carefully, and the screws are worn.]

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What size is the largest sprocket on the cassette? They often have issues with stuff between 34-36, especially if the hanger is slightly shorter than is recommended by their engineering specifications.

The screws aren't particularly junky, but they also aren't Phillips. They're JIS crosstip, so not a particularly good fit. It's not a huge issue in practice, but Phillips crosstips are meant to cam out, whereas JIS isn't. A clean #2 Phillips will work okay.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Did you take the derailleur off the bike?

If you didn't you will need to remove it to get it into the correct position.

mtbr member
    Like cobba said you need to get the b-link in this position-

Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed-967968d1425031466-new-derailleur-issues-bracket-axle-unit.jpg

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    * You aren't meant to use all 27 gears combinations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Now solved, thanks for the advice.
    I re-attached the rear derailleur although this time, there is a 'ridge' or 'bit sticking out' on the RD that should be sitting to the left of the bike frame, I think it naturally springs below the frame unless you hold it in position whilst screwing the RD onto the bike frame, hope that makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear Derailleur touching Cassette since replacing 8 speed with 9 speed-sg108776.jpg