mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Rear Derailer is touching 34T cog on 9th big gear. Would 8spd work? Also, a fork Q?

I am building a 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper frame up with used parts from 2002+ Specialized Rockhopper and a Specialized Crosstrail and a Rockhopper A1 FSRXC.

Currently installed are a Shimano Atlus FD-310 (48T max, 20T capacity) and a Shimano Deore LX RD-M581 Long Cage (45T capacity). (48-28=20) + (34-11=23) which equals 43.

My cranks are Square Taper 44/32/22 with chewed up teeth and a decent Octalink 48/32/22. I can buy a 28 64mm small ring gear for the crank for around $8 CDN, to get it inline with RD capacity of 20.

The wheels are aftermarket, but standard 9 speed. My 1994 Stumpjumper came with 7 speeds, so I think this is why my RD is catching on the big gear in the cassette. I already have the stem, headset, fork installed with the handlebars and quick-fire 9 speed shifters.

Would a 8 speed cassette touch the RD?

Also, the original front suspension fork on the 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper has quite a bit less height then my 2002+ suspension fork, it makes the top bar not level. Will this cause issue? its just a casual bike, with moderate trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did you adjust the B-tension screw?

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.p...0A-002-ENG.pdf

mtbr member
    7-8-9 speed, it makes no difference. The 34T will always be in the same place on the freewheel, next to the spokes. Remember, that it is the selector that alters the changing positions and this will therefore make difference to your problem.

Adjust the B-screw as suggested. This is the screw above the setting pair of screws. By screwing it in, you will rotate the derailleur a little which should pull the pulley away from the teeth of the sprocket. Watch that you have the correct chain length, on the larger chain-wheel to the 34T, the system will be at full stretch, and on the smallest chain-wheel to smallest sprocket, the chain will be beginning to sag.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?