Rear derailer problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear derailer problems

I went riding on my friends farm in the wood yesterday. The bike did great and we had a blast going down the mountain, all except for one thing. You could normally expect a flat tire or a few bruises, but not this time.

It seems as though something on my rear derailer is bent, It almost looks like the black mount piece that attaches it to the frame is, but it is rather thick looking. It also seems like the silver frame part on the lower gears is twisted or something. I am not exactly sure what is up. I though that it would be harder to mess these nicer bikes up??? Anyway, when I am in first gear, the derailer rubs the spokes slightly now as well as it is not shifting correctly. What looks to be wrong?

Thanks,
    -Brett

AZ
    banned
    Bent cage , possibly bent the hanger . Have your LBS check out the hanger , replace the R.D.

mtbr member
    Is there a way to fix the cage, like can I take it apart to straighten it? I really do not want to get a new D.R. since I just bought the bike a couple weeks ago.

-Brett

Never trust a fart
    Bent hanger. Get your LBS to straighten out. The cage on the RD can be straightened by hand if done properly. I've saved a few RD's this way. Made several customers happy they didn't have to spend $60+ on a new RD.

mtbr member
    Ok, I assume it is worth a try to straighten it all out. I will do it myself, I am good working with my hands.

-Brett

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042
    Ok, I assume it is worth a try to straighten it all out. I will do it myself, I am good working with my hands.

-Brett
    You still need to check/straighten the hanger. Not really possible to do right without the tool. Go see your LBS.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You still need to check/straighten the hanger. Not really possible to do right without the tool. Go see your LBS.
    I see what you are saying. I straightened the cage after I got it apart. That was pretty easy to do. The hanger, I do not think I will be able to straighten it with out getting it off the assembly. I do not have a Bike Shop within an hour or so. How do I take it off, and better yet, will I be able to put it back on?

I see a snap ring thing, is that what holds it on there? I would like to do it if at all possible. I love working on things and do not like to pay people to do it for me, you know?

Thanks again
    -Brett

LDH
    mtbr member
    you should be able to pull it straight yourself the first time but I would go get a spare hanger for the next time it gets grounded.

mtbr member
    I found out how to get the mounting bracket off and attempted to straighten it. It is real flexy and I was afraid to beat/try to bend on it too much. I made it closer to where it is supposed to be, but I think it will be best to get that part at minimum.

I cleaned it all real good, greased up the bushing on the gears and dry lubed the joints. I have it all back together and she is shifting pretty good. Some fine tuning will be necessary I am sure.

-Brett

Members who have read this thread: 0