RD choice - older XT or newer SRAM- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

RD choice - older XT or newer SRAM

Instincts tell me my XT M750 RD is fine for my 8spd setup but I have a SRAM X-7 laying, newer take off part. Am I missing anything my not trying it?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by turner45 View Post
    Instincts tell me my XT M750 RD is fine for my 8spd setup but I have a SRAM X-7 laying, newer take off part. Am I missing anything my not trying it?
    Match the RD/shifter brands. Can not use a SRAM RD with a Shimano shifter
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Well SRAM never made parts for 8speed and you dont say how new the X7 derailleur is. And You cant mix and match Shimano and SRAM derailleurs for the most part.

If you have an older XT derailleur and a Shimano shifter - keep it going this stuff lasts forever.

You have an X7 derailleur, if you need a new cassette and chain it might be worth picking up an X7 shifter as well and going to 9/10speed.

X7 is available for 9speed and 10 speed but they are specific to the shifter and amount of gears on the back cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Well SRAM never made parts for 8speed and you dont say how new the X7 derailleur is. And You cant mix and match Shimano and SRAM derailleurs for the most part.

If you have an older XT derailleur and a Shimano shifter - keep it going this stuff lasts forever.

You have an X7 derailleur, if you need a new cassette and chain it might be worth picking up an X7 shifter as well and going to 9/10speed.

X7 is available for 9speed and 10 speed but they are specific to the shifter and amount of gears on the back cassette.
    SRAM has indeed made 8-speed (and 7-speed) RDs and shifters.

SRAM "9-speed" RDs are compatible with SRAM 7/8/9-speed 1-1 shifters.

The 9 and 10 speed RDs are different.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My setup is all shimano LX and XT Mega 9 from my older bikes I just happened to have a full SRAM drivetrain from a part out of a newer bike and thought about doing a trial before I sell it. I did not know that mixed shifter and RDs might not jive together.

Quote Originally Posted by turner45 View Post
    My setup is all shimano LX and XT Mega 9 from my older bikes I just happened to have a full SRAM drivetrain from a part out of a newer bike and thought about doing a trial before I sell it. I did not know that mixed shifter and RDs might not jive together.
    The SRAM shifters are likely 9-speed, so you would also have to change the cassette and chain to use the SRAM setup.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0