mtbr member

RaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?

What do you guys think? I followed the "big rear gear + 2 links" method but it seems short to me. I get a little bit of drivetrain noise in the 2 tallest gears and I feel slight resistance when trying to shift out of the tallest gear.

Thanks!

RaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?-img_2393.jpgRaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?-img_2392.jpg

mtbr member
    Did you measure it with the shock fully compressed?
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    I just added some links to mine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?-rsz_20151218_141050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks about perfect to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    I just added some links to mine...
    Lol...I can hear that derailleur screaming for mercy through my screen.

mtbr member
    4 links on 1x
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Assuming you have an allowance for suspension travel it looks great to me - pretty conservative even.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! I did not check the length through the suspension travel. Unfortunately, we have rain in so cal today so it's a perfect day for me to tinker on the bike.

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem to much different with the shock compressed. What do you guys think? Still good to go? Thanks!

RaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?-img_2396.jpgRaceFace NW 1x10 chain length too short?-img_2397.jpg

mtbr member
    The longer the chain the easier the shifting into the lower gears. I would personally go as long as you can without droop or chainstay interference when in highest gear. Your chain is WAY too short in the pics. Think of the torque you are producing when forced to use that gear. The chain will be trying to pull itself back towards a better chainline. Add some links to that chain. Your shifting in all gears will improve dramatically. Trust me......give it a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Your chain is WAY too short in the pics. Think of the torque you are producing when forced to use that gear. The chain will be trying to pull itself back towards a better chainline.
    I'd say it looks fine. On hardtails I've done shorter.
    I'm no engineer but any chain slack is always going to be on the bottom of the chain run where it doesn't accomplish/affect anything other than the position of the top pulley. The top of the chain run where the tension and torque are will always be the length between the crank and cogs.

mtbr member
    Your chain is WAY too short in the pics.
    Totally disagree^ if the chain were WAY too short the OP would have to add 4 links or more. 2 more links might be acceptable but it looks near perfect as is, I'd leave it be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Totally disagree^ if the chain were WAY too short the OP would have to add 4 links or more. 2 more links might be acceptable but it looks near perfect as is, I'd leave it be.
    I totally respect and appreciate your posts and knowledge JB. I have always felt the same as most here regarding one-by systems on customers bikes and my own. We have been experimenting quite a bit with chain lengths and shifting ease/speed with these things. Granted, this has only been on SRAM clutch derailleurs, but I dont see a problem with Shimano. I have gone longer and longer than what seems to be the traditional thinking and the shifting has been exponentially better. No problems with too much slack if you get it right. Looking at OP's pic and derailleur positioning, I would urge the OP to just "try" adding 3 or 4 links and see what he thinks.
    Everyones mileage will obviously vary..........just putting some alternatives out there.

mtbr member
    Everyones mileage will obviously vary..........just putting some alternatives out there.

And they are appreciated (by me anyway). I agree that 2 more links would improve shifting into the largest sprocket, but at the expense of chain retention in the smaller ones. 4 more would just be too much all around IMO.

mtbr member
    Your chain is WAY too short in the pics. Think of the torque you are producing when forced to use that gear.
    Bear in mind that pedalling with the shock bottomed is going to be rare event.
    His chain length looks perfect.

If you're in the shortest gear you're probably traveling at low speed. Unless he doing wheelie drops or trials. I'm pretty sure my pedals can't turn over if the bike is bottomed out.