Race face NW and Shimano 552 crank- Mtbr.com
    Hi There!

Race face NW and Shimano 552 crank

Converting my Shimano 3X10 to 1X, should the chainring be on the inside or outside of the crank? Also, should the 'flashy' side be facing out or in? Thanks.
    NTFTC

The Original Suspect
    Try putting it in the same spot as your middle ring was while 3x.

mtbr member
    race face ring graphics on the outside inside the spiders. you'll need these bolts and use the spacers between the crank spiders and chainring.

Amazon.com : TruVativ Steel Chainring Bolt Set, Black : Bike Chainrings And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Hi There!
    So....my mechanic put the chainring on the outside of the spider, and i asked him to put the plain side of the ring facing out because i'm low-key.

Then i brought up that all the images on the web show the ring on the inside of the spider so he moved it to the inside but he didn't think the chainline looked as good so he flipped the chainring over to the graphics side facing out and checked that, still wasn't satisfied.

He thought the chainline looked best with it outside the spider and plain side out so that's how he put it. I have to admit that with the chain on the 2 most middle rear sprockets it looks really straight.

I rode it 3 times on one trail and 1 time on another and no issues whatsoever to this point. The thing is, it's kind of bugging me that it's on the inside for everyone else....anyone got any ideas on why mine is "different"?
    NTFTC

dadamamabooboo
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    So....my mechanic put the chainring on the outside of the spider, and i asked him to put the plain side of the ring facing out because i'm low-key.

Then i brought up that all the images on the web show the ring on the inside of the spider so he moved it to the inside but he didn't think the chainline looked as good so he flipped the chainring over to the graphics side facing out and checked that, still wasn't satisfied.

He thought the chainline looked best with it outside the spider and plain side out so that's how he put it. I have to admit that with the chain on the 2 most middle rear sprockets it looks really straight.

I rode it 3 times on one trail and 1 time on another and no issues whatsoever to this point. The thing is, it's kind of bugging me that it's on the inside for everyone else....anyone got any ideas on why mine is "different"?
    there are many different cranksets out there, using different bb's etc, as well as differing frames, different size and/or even dished cassettes...point being it's not a one size fits all for everyone. I'd say that if when you eyeball it, the chainline runs straight back to the center of your cassette you're one of the fortunate ones. many folks running 1x have a devil of a time achieving a good chainline. and if it's not making any noise, etc...sounds like it ain't broke..so don't go fixing!
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub