Race face Next sl and race face Turbine Sl with Shimano 2x10 drive train- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Race face Next sl and race face Turbine Sl with Shimano 2x10 drive train

Any compatibility issues if I were to use a Next sl 2x10 or a turbine 2X10 with 10 speed Shimano XTR, XT, or SLX, drive train?

I was looking at 30/42 in front and 11-36 in back. Also any issues with using an XT cassette with XTR RD and FD. I was reading on Shimano's website that if you use the 3x10 FD with a 2x10 setup it might not work optimally.

My LBS said no problem but I wanted to double check. I am pricing different 2x10 setups and just want to double check compatibility issues.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by kumarpr227; 01-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.

ups and downs
    They were supposed to be doing some compatibility testing in late December, so they'll have the info available by the time the 10 speed rings are shipping in January.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kumarpr227
    Any compatibility issues if I were to use a Next sl 2x10 or a turbine 2X10 with 10 speed Shimano XTR, XT, or SLX, drive train?

I was looking at 30/42 in front and 11-36 in back. Also any issues with using an XT cassette with XTR RD and FD. I was reading on Shimano's website that if you use the 3x10 FD with a 2x10 setup it might not work optimally.

My LBS said no problem but I wanted to double check. I am pricing different 2x10 setups and just want to double check compatibility issues.

Thanks for the input.
    Hi,

I tried with the following components :

- Shifters : XTR 10s
    - RD : XT SGS 10s
    - FD : SLX 10s
    - Crank : FSA Comet 386 BB30 42-27 X-10
    - XT 11-36 cassette and HG-94 chain.

The SLX triple front derailleur design don't fit the double crankset. On 42/11 and 27/36, chain touches the derailleur. I found an adjustement for which 42/36 and 27/11 crosses don't scrape but it's impossible to set correctly for "all at right" and "all at left".

I bought an European Flash F3 frame which comes originally with SLX 10s triple derailleur and double FSA crank that's why I thought it would run without issue, however it isn't.

Today I mounted an XTR 985 FD (10s, double) instead of the SLX one and it seems to be good without trying it on the ground. I'm going to test it now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thats great. I have been wanting to upgrade my dated drive train for a while and figuring with my X-mas bonus I can splurge now.

What Chain are you using? Is there any shifting difference, other then weight, between the XTR vs the XT cassette that you know off? I remember reading that the 960 and 760 series were interchangeable but that rear shifting was a little smoother with the xtr cassette.

Meaning is the xtr chain designed with the xtr cassette in mind?

What I am thinking is getting XTR shifters, XTR FD, XTR Chain, and Raceface or XTR double crank. XT cassette and XT RD.

Let us know how your new FD works out.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    XT cassette and chain are interchangeable with XTR ones. With XTR you save weight and with XT you save money. XTR, XT and SLX 10s chains are directionnal (like DA, Ultegra and 105 ones but no full compatibility between road and offroad chains)

Yesterday I tried the double XTR FD and now I can say that if you ride with double crankset and if you want that the front drivetrain works like it have to work, you need a double specific front derailleur.

I repeat my configuration :

- XTR 10s shifters
    - XTR 2x10s FD
    - XT 10s SGS FD
    - FSA Comet 386 BB30 42-27 X-10 crank
    - XT 10s 11-36 cassette
    - XT 10s chain

FSA says that its X-10 rings are Sram specific and its M-10 rings are Shimano Specific (I've never seen M-10 rings yet) but the X-10 42-27 works fine with my Shimano drivetrain. I suppose that it's the same for Race Face double cranks.

I choose the XT rear derailleur because that component is exposed and I didn't want to buy a 140 euros wear component. Maybe it's a mistake because shadow design is a reliable way to protect rear derailleurs. Shimano says that with "VIVID" system (XTR) the pullay effort is constant on all the cassette (equivalent to "exact actuation" by Sram. I don't now if it really works). With XTR shifters and XT RD I can feel a difference in force applied on lever between the low and the high sprockets. Maybe with a full XTR couple (shifters + RD) the shifting is constant (or maybe not). Except this detail (for which I don't know if it can be improved), rear shifting is smooth and really accurate. The "click" is marked. You can do accurate and fast multiple up and down (plus 2 way release). Lag set up of XTR shifters is useful.

PS sorry for my poor english

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am looking to purchase the 2011 Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks and run the Truvative XX- 26/39 chainrings. RF offers 26/38t rings, but the RF rings have never shifted that well in my experience. Also Sram makes a big deal about the 26/39T combo, somthing about the odd teeth numbering. The 80/120 bolt pattern is compatible, but I wonder about the chainring spacing, the XX Chainrings seem to be a bit thicker and offset from a standard basic chainring. I hate to spend $ 700 to experiement and the XX chainrings are definately the way to go in terms of shifting precision. Again the question is weather the RF spider/offset works with the XX ring spacing. Anybody try this setup yet and any clues as to when the product will start shipping again from RF?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd caution you against buying Race Face products for now. As of March 12 this year, the company went into receivership, and the assets were/are being liquidated. I have searched for further news, but as it stands right now you would have no warranty if you bought these cranks. Trust me, warranty is a good thing to have. I bought one of the 1st sets of Next carbon cranks and the chainring tabs broke. I got a replacement set under warranty, but I suspect I'm SOL if they fail again.

ups and downs
    Race Face was back in business as of May 10, they just re-signed Brett Tippie again too. It was bought by a group that included the original VP of sales and they are honouring all warranties

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Race-Fa...Continues.html
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool. I am glad they are back! Seeing blog posts on the site from last week made me think that someone had stepped up, but I just didn't find any direct reference to that fact.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    I am looking to purchase the 2011 Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks and run the Truvative XX- 26/39 chainrings. RF offers 26/38t rings, but the RF rings have never shifted that well in my experience. Also Sram makes a big deal about the 26/39T combo, somthing about the odd teeth numbering. The 80/120 bolt pattern is compatible, but I wonder about the chainring spacing, the XX Chainrings seem to be a bit thicker and offset from a standard basic chainring. I hate to spend $ 700 to experiement and the XX chainrings are definately the way to go in terms of shifting precision. Again the question is weather the RF spider/offset works with the XX ring spacing. Anybody try this setup yet and any clues as to when the product will start shipping again from RF?
    My Race Face Next SL triple crankset shifts as well as the XTR one it replaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The 2011 Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks are now shipping again, but apparently only with a 28-40 chainring configuration. I am still interested in running the Truvative XX 26/39 chainrings and hope that they prove to be compatible with Race face chainring tab spacing and offset (the bolt pattern is the same at 80/120). Anyone have experience with this yet? (see below)

I am looking to purchase the 2011 Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks and run the Truvative XX- 26/39 chainrings. RF offers 26/38t rings, but the RF rings have never shifted that well in my experience. Also Sram makes a big deal about the 26/39T combo, something about the odd teeth numbering. The 80/120 bolt pattern is compatible, but I wonder about the chainring spacing, the XX Chainrings seem to be a bit thicker and offset from a standard basic chainring. I hate to spend $ 700 to experiment and the XX chainrings are definetely the way to go in terms of shifting precision. Again the question is weather the RF spider/offset works with the XX ring spacing. Anybody ?
    Last edited by buggymancan; 07-17-2011 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hmm...I'm considering the same as you, buggymancan. Or the FSA SL-K Compact 386 Megaexo, in white. XX Chainrings and 26/39 is very interesting - if they not only fit, but if they shift well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anybody know the q-factor on the RF Next SL 2x10? Can't find it anywhere...

mtbr member
    Lots of questions - Let's get started. First off RF will be honouring warranty on existing product.

I was reading on Shimano's website that if you use the 3x10 FD with a 2x10 setup it might not work optimally.
    True - 2x10 setups shift like a middle-big combo. The cable pull middle-big is ~8mm rather than ~12mm for granny to middle. A standard triple FD may work but not as well. Here is a link to help the only addition will be 2x XT once available.

raceface.com/comp/pdf/10%20Speed%20FAQ.pdf

I am looking to purchase the 2011 Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks and run the Truvative XX- 26/39 chainrings. The 80/120 bolt pattern is compatible, but I wonder about the chainring spacing, the question is weather the RF spider/offset works with the XX ring spacing.
    We believe we design the best shifting rings around and our 26/38 combo will be shipping in the coming weeks. If you do decide to go the SRAM route the XX rings (or X0, X9, X7) will bolt on seamlessly. This upgrade will save you ~125g on the armset/BB alone and an additional 30g if you wait for the RF rings. Make sure to order the SRAM bolt pack though as they thread directly into the big ring.

Anybody know the q-factor on the RF Next SL 2x10? Can't find it anywhere...
    165mm for NEXT 2X and 166mm for Turbine. Be cautious of narrower Q-factors when you're spec’ing you bike. Some frame designs do not have the chainstay clearance to run a tighter Q.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    We believe we design the best shifting rings around and our 26/38 combo will be shipping in the coming weeks. If you do decide to go the SRAM route the XX rings (or X0, X9, X7) will bolt on seamlessly. This upgrade will save you ~125g on the armset/BB alone and an additional 30g if you wait for the RF rings. Make sure to order the SRAM bolt pack though as they thread directly into the big ring.

Not sure this is entirely accurate. In carefully comparing the RF crank arms w/ XX, it appears that the XX outer ring has a 0 .7+- mm recessed area where the chainring bolts to the outer spyder. This corrosponds to a knoch in the outer spyder on the XX arms. The RF outer spyder is flat, which would suggest that if using the XX outer ring, it would slightly affect the chainring spacing relative to the fixed inner chainring location. So unless the spacing difference is to the inside (hence requiring a thin 0.7+- washer to space the inner ring inward-hence mainting the proper spacing between rings) the XX may not prove to be 100% compatible w/ the RF crank arms. Has anyone else measured this and what is he final determination. Again the question is are the XX rings 100% compatible w/ the RF next SL 2x10 carbon crank arms? If not when will we actually see delivery of the RF 26/28t rings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. In carefully comparing the RF crank arms w/ XX, it appears that the XX outer ring has a 0 .7+- mm recessed area where the chainring bolts to the outer spyder. This corrosponds to a knoch in the outer spyder on the XX arms. The RF outer spyder is flat, which would suggest that if using the XX outer ring, it would slightly affect the chainring spacing relative to the fixed inner chainring location. So unless the spacing difference is to the inside (hence requiring a thin 0.7+- washer to space the inner ring inward-hence mainting the proper spacing between rings) the XX may not prove to be 100% compatible w/ the RF crank arms. Has anyone else measured this and what is he final determination. Again the question is are the XX rings 100% compatible w/ the RF next SL 2x10 carbon crank arms? If not when will we actually see delivery of the RF 26/28t rings?
    Yes the XX rings are 100% compatible with RF arms. The critical dimension is between the big ring and small ring mounting position on the crank arm. The recess you are seeing on the XX ring set has no affect on the compatibility.

If you have anymore questions feel free to reply to [email protected]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    problem solved.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    any one knows the weight of the turbine 2011 cranks alone?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    raceface can you please do a 24/38 64/104 combo

mtbr member
    May 2010

2x10 replacement rings

Chris from WickWerks here. We offer SRAM XX and XO 2x10 replacement rings that are spaced perfectly for the XX and XO cranks as well as the Race-Face Next 2x10, 120/80BCD.
    Team Kenda/Felt raced the Race-Face Next 2x10 with our rings in 2011 and will again in 2012. We have throuoghly tested these rings on both the XX and Next cranks and the Felt team went through two chains before changing the rings out on their third chain, they last in other words. They come in a 40/26 now and will be available in a 42/28 in April. They are stiffer than the XX rings and they shift better. Hopefully this lets the readers know they have another option for replacement rings for their SRAM XX,XO and Race-Face Next and Turbine 2x10 cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    raceface can you please do a 24/38 64/104 combo
    Ask and you shall receive. This combo will be available in the spring.

Thanks for riding Race Face!

Go faster!
    Are the arms and spider of the Race Face Next SL crankset one piece?
    how is the stiffness compared to XTR and SRAM XX cranksets?

Go faster!
    Yes, probably not great!...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    "Are the arms and spider of the Race Face Next SL crankset one piece?" YES
    "how is the stiffness compared to XTR and SRAM XX cranksets?" STIFFER AND MUCH LIGHTER

mtbr member
    May 2010
    "Yes, probably not great!... "
    Actually the Race-Face Next is a great crank, it's stiffer and much lighter than either the SRAM XX or Shimano.
    The WW rings take a regular XX or Next 2x10 to a higher level of performance. Saying they're better is one thing, riding a set and proving it to yourself tells the truth, they are beter shifting rings and that's saying a lot because the XX rings are good rings, the WickWerks rings are great rings.

Go faster!
    I didn't ask about your chainrings...
    How can you tell the raceface next sl cranks are stiffer?

Live fast. die younG.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFace-suit View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. This combo will be available in the spring.

Thanks for riding Race Face!
    Will it work with the current turbine SL 2x10 cranks?

Members who have read this thread: 0