Race Face EVOLVE XC vs XT crankset- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Race Face EVOLVE XC vs XT crankset

Hi, i was wondering if you guys can give me your thoughts on these two cranksets and what you think of them? I'm thinking of buying one of these two and was wondering if you guys can offer up some thoughts or pros and cons of these two cranksets.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    Hi, i was wondering if you guys can give me your thoughts on these two cranksets and what you think of them? I'm thinking of buying one of these two and was wondering if you guys can offer up some thoughts or pros and cons of these two cranksets.

Thanks!
    the new M760 XT Hollowtech crank is the best value formoney at the moment.

the external bearings are super stronger and will add noticable stiffness to your drivetrain.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    the new M760 XT Hollowtech crank is the best value formoney at the moment.

the external bearings are super stronger and will add noticable stiffness to your drivetrain.
    hi, oh sorry, i should have been more clear. i meant the non integrated bottom bracket version of the XT crankset. I guess my main dilemma was the fact that with the XT i would be limited in my bottom bracket selection whereas with the race face i could use any isis bottom bracket, i don't have too much experiance with the race face cranksets so i'm not really sure what type of level of quality the evolve cranksets are.

Thanks for the replies!

Feb 2004

Wink Fc-760?

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Best value at $250+???

Please...
    Really wonder why we can have it in Manila for $135

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    hi, oh sorry, i should have been more clear. i meant the non integrated bottom bracket version of the XT crankset. I guess my main dilemma was the fact that with the XT i would be limited in my bottom bracket selection whereas with the race face i could use any isis bottom bracket, i don't have too much experiance with the race face cranksets so i'm not really sure what type of level of quality the evolve cranksets are.

Thanks for the replies!
    2 yrs ago i was stuck in the same dilemma. The whole Shimano splined BB system confused the hell out of me, there must be over 7 different models and none of them interchange except maybe the LX/XT for that one year. Isis is much simplier, so i went Isis.<p>A couple of things, none of the shimano splined or isis BB will go much past a season of riding if you put in like 3 a week riding. Sure there are a few exceptions but the tiny ball bearings just don't last. So unless you do low miles don't splurge on a Ti BB because it won't last all that long.<p>I have no experience with the Evolve line and its their bottom of the line cranks but I do have a set of Prodigy cranks (the former bottom of the line cranks) and they work great. If you dont' huck or aren't downhilling on them you should be fine on them. The Evolve BB comes with a 2 year warranty on the bearings, a better warranty than the Signature series and you will use it.<p>How soon do you need these? Because i have been doing the math, the Evolve w/BB is about $150 at Pricepoint. Its not available now but at Performance.com the DeusX crankset w/BB is $299, for Team members its 10% off right now, add in the NY bike show code for another 20% off, and then another 10% for your team member reward = $195.00, not a bad deal for a crankset made to rival the '04 XTR.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    $250? are you kidding?

i just bought a pair for 130 -bought them plain jane retail too. not mail order. not bro-deal.

is there really such a price difference between europe and the US? c'mon the dollar aint that weak!

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Best value at $250+???

Please...
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Apr 2004
    I've always divided the crankset into three sections:

$150 = 2003 XT crankset
    $400 = Middleburn RS-8's not sure if they available in the US
    $lots = Storck Power arms carbon cranks

I'm UK based so the prices are approx.

Even with a large budget, I'd proberly plumb for XT throughout - it does seem worth getting an XTR/DA rear dr and PC-99 chain.

Vic

Apr 2004

Go ISIS

If you don't mean integrated solutions, ISIS spline is definitely better (stiffer too) compared with Octalink solution. I'd suggest you Race Face Evolve series BB paired with some Truvativ crankset (depending on your riding style) as a decent and reasonably priced solution. That's what I'm using now.

You can go with some other ISIS BB (FSA or Truvativ) but to me no one makes BBs better than Race Face. The only alternative to ISIS in terms of stiffness and durability is some kind of crankset integrated with BB. Friend of mine got Cannondale Si Hollowgram - oh, he's so happy now! I'd have been too, just have not got extra $5000 for the brand new Scalpel Team Replica .

fsr
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Raceface

The warranty on Raceface ctranks is voided if you use a bottom bracket other than their own. FSR.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No ISIS BB has ever outlasted an Octalink on my bikes.
    My XTR Hollowtech II (M960) integrated crank BB has lasted extremely weel at 18months and still going.

In my experience ISIS has been absolutely rubbish
    Anmd I would stay very far away from the cheaper Race Face cranks. Most of my mates who have Giant NRS XTC1oor 2 have some RF cranks on them. They break at least the spline wears strangely and the ISIS BB's don't last either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No ISIS BB has ever outlasted an Octalink on my bikes.
    Does that include the 4 bearing Truvativ and FSA BBs? Or the RF Signature series? I took my regularly maintained Signature XC BB to about 3.5k miles but it need to be lubed (it has grease ports) every 900 miles, if you don't maintain it i am sure it will sieze in 1k mi.
    My XTR Hollowtech II (M960) integrated crank BB has lasted extremely weel at 18months and still going.
    Just to clarify for VT, Hollowtech II is not a splined system but an outbound bearing system. Yes they are doing much better than a splined BB but at $500 retail it better be gooder.
    Most of my mates who have Giant NRS XTC1oor 2 have some RF cranks on them. They break at least the spline wears strangely and the ISIS BB's don't last either.
    Don't know what to say, splines wearing strangely is not a normal problem but Isis BB not lasting is.

mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here.

The splines in the cranks seemt o be made of a special type of very firm cheese. They are very easily damaged. I did'nt have this problem but they did.

Does ISIS not have a slight taper to the splines?

Jan 2004
    hmm, thanks a lot for the replies everyone! a lot of different views.. however, XT is the top line of shimano cranks and Evolve is the bottom of the race face line right? but also at the same time, in terms of weight differences for the 03 XT and the evolve, its not too off from each other right?