Quick question on changing shifter cables!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick question on changing shifter cables!

Hi! To the nitty-gritty. Just got a pair of Jagwire Teflon-coated shifter cables. I noticed that both ends on each cable is capped by a silver block. I know one end is designed as an "anchor" inside the shifter, but to thread the cable through the shifter entry hole, am I supposed to cut off the other silver block? I think I do because the cable entry hole on the shifter is only small enough for the cable itself to go through. I just want to make sure so I don't mess up!

Bonus question:
    This is a SRAM X7 shifter set. I removed the barrel adjuster on one, and upon putting it back I don't remember if it was screwed in all the way down (tight) or if there was one or two turns left (loose).

Jul 2006
    Yes you cut off the silver cap that you don't use, I think they give you 2 sizes, the smaller prolly being the one you need. As far as the adjuster barrell, I like to thread it all the way in and then give one turn out, in case my cable is a little tight, but thats just preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You want to use the end that looks like a little barrel, and cut off the end that looks like it was smushed with a hammer.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Frazy. I just noticed that the end caps are of two different sizes. But the difference is very small. Does it matter which one I cut off?

mtbr member
    Jagwire teflon cables can be used for derailleurs or brakes, hence the two types of ends. Just clip off the larger one, it's meant for brakes.

Bonus answer:

If you tighten your barrel adjuster all the way down, you've only given yourself to one direction of adjustment. If you leave it in the middle somewhere, you have equal adjustment to either side (loose/tight). Make sense?
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    Jagwire teflon cables can be used for derailleurs or brakes, hence the two types of ends. Just clip off the larger one, it's meant for brakes.
    Yeah, I recently discovered this when I ordered a set of Ripcord brake cables. I thought it was odd that Jagwire makes the cable double-use like that. By that, I mean I was expecting the brake cables to be the more common thicker cable, but it's not.

I'm not sure I like that; I'm fond of the traditional brake cable.

Time will tell, I guess...

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    I wondered about that as well, but once I got everything dialed in, I was pleased to find my braking better than ever before. I love my Ripcords.

mtbr member
    BTW, can I just use basic wire cutters, like regular pliers but designed to cute wires?

I don't have any special cable cutters.

mtbr member
    Make sure they're sharp, if not they will crimp the cable and when it does finally cut, it will fray making it impossible to thread.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    BTW, can I just use basic wire cutters, like regular pliers but designed to cute wires?

I don't have any special cable cutters.
    While it isn't necessary to get a pair of bike cable cutters...they are better than your average wire cutters.

another option if you don't want to spend money on the cable cutters is a cold chisel (not a wood one) and a metal surface. tape the cable where you want to cut it and then hit it with the chisel and hammer of course. of course this has to be done more or less away from the bike so that makes it more difficult.

DMR

mtbr member
    I've never had a pair of wire cutters do even a satisfactory job. Cable cutters are the way to go.

Old man on a bike

Yeah, I recently discovered this when I ordered a set of Ripcord brake cables. I thought it was odd that Jagwire makes the cable double-use like that. By that, I mean I was expecting the brake cables to be the more common thicker cable, but it's not.

Uh, no. There is a 1.1 or 1.2 mm derailleur cable, and there's a 1.5 mm brake cable.
    http://www.jagwireusa.com/innercable.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Mar 2005
    Well, I have 2 different, brand new sets of Ripcord MTB brake sets (package marked that way at any rate), and the cables are derailleur thickness, but do indeed have 2 different sized knobs at each end. But both knobs look like the normal shifter cable knob-end, not the brake bigger brake cable puck -looking end. One is slightly bigger, but not as big as a normal brake cable end.

I haven't put the cables on. If this is something new Jagwire is doing, it seems very strange; why not package/label the cables as double-use if that's the intent? They sure look like derailleur cables - not brake cables, as they are labeled.

Weird stuff. I'm too lazy to contact Jagwire CS about it. I suspect they will sit around until I need to replace my shifter cables.

Cheers, Chris

Old man on a bike
    Both brake and derailleur cables can come double ended for different brake lever and shifter needs...but I prefer to use the thicker brake cables for the bigger load (there are weight weenies who do use derailleur cables, though).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Double-metric mtb man
    I recently did the shifter cables on my bike...gave me a chance to re-route a few things at the same time. I will say that using proper cable cutters is the way to go...a quick snip, a quick little hit o' superglue to make sure the end doesn't fray while threading and bingo. The superglue goes buh-bye with any excess cable when everything is done.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Hmmm, that's weird. Mine are definitely brake weight but I thought they could be used for both. Since I only needed the big barrel, maybe I just didn't look closely at the other end. Is the same housing used for both applications, then? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

I think I have another set around somewhere, I'll check them out when I get home.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Cable cutter=electric tape and dremel set mid range. I used my dremel to cut my brake housing. Perfect! Sure the inner plastic will mellt with the heat a little bit, to fix that you just re-face the cut end so it's flat and while it's still hot you push your cable through. Then to cut your cable, find your length, wrap it with electrical tape. I went a wrap above the cut line, a wrap below the cut lin, then a wrap on center. Then I just cut the middle of the tape. Tookk off that center wrap, super glued and caped. Perfect, non-frayed cut.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use the Jagwire teflon derr cables and they do indeed have a fitting on each end. If you look very closely, you will see little 'c's on one and little 's's stamped on the other. One end is for Campy shifters and the other for Shimano. I'll leave it to you to work out which end is for which!

I don't know which end would be the one for off road shifters though. Why don't you give Jagwire a call if you want to be 100% sure. Or call Larry at www.biketoolsetc.com He will know as he sells all the Jagwire kit and he is the one I got mine from.

Members who have read this thread: 0