mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Possible to downgrade 12 speed to 10 or 11 speed?

Planning my next bike purchase. These big cassettes add weight and I have no need for them with a smaller chain ring.

The bike I'm looking at uses SRAM NX Eagle shifter and derailleur, and the hub has an HG hub. Will a 10 or 11 speed cassette fit on it properly? Will it shift properly after setting the limit screws and indexing? I suspect a chain specific to the number of cogs is required as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
    Planning my next bike purchase. These big cassettes add weight and I have no need for them with a smaller chain ring.

The bike I'm looking at uses SRAM NX Eagle shifter and derailleur, and the hub has an HG hub. Will a 10 or 11 speed cassette fit on it properly? Will it shift properly after setting the limit screws and indexing? I suspect a chain specific to the number of cogs is required as well.
    I get that you don't need the 50t, but almost everything you mentioned is indeed a problem. The NX 11-50 12 speed and NX 11-42 11 speed cassettes do use a standard Shimano splined hub.

You would have otherwise to replace the whole drivetrain. Which is expensive unless you find someone locally who wants to trade you.

Not worth it. Upgrade something instead, maybe fork.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I get that you don't need the 50t, but almost everything you mentioned is indeed a problem. The NX 11-50 12 speed and NX 11-42 11 speed cassettes do use a standard Shimano splined hub.

You would have otherwise to replace the whole drivetrain. Which is expensive unless you find someone locally who wants to trade you.
    I was afraid of that. So in order to lose weight, cheaper options would be to find a 12 speed cassette that uses the standard HG hub, or change the hub to an SRAM XD hub (if even possible) to get more cassette options?

mtbr member

As far as I know, SRAM 1xX offerings have the same pull ratio between 11 and 12 speed. So at minimum you would need to replace the shifter with 11 speed one and then there are quite a few options in regards to cassettes to choose from on the HG freehub.

Any 11 speed "mountain" cassette will work and the smallest option is the 11-34 ultegra/105 11 speed unit, which fits the HG body.

You can also then use any 10 speed cassette as cog spacing between 10 and 11 speeds on HG is so close that one can index the other.

Essentially, if you replace the shifter with 11 speed, then you can even use 11-23 10 speed cassette, if you so choose.

You can keep the chain, btw.

Nutrailer
    In the real world, unless you're planning to weight-weenie your bike, just how much weight would you save swapping out the cassette? Would you really feel the difference when riding?
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Going to 11 speed I could save half a pound with the cassette alone. But that's likely not possible with another 12 speed cassette. And yes you're probably right about not noticing it.

Barely in control
    Get a tight ratio 11 speed cassette: Shimano HG700, Edco Monoblock, XT 11-40. You won't notice the extra click in the 12 speed shifter since the limit screw will prevent it from going that far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Get a tight ratio 11 speed cassette: Shimano HG700, Edco Monoblock, XT 11-40. You won't notice the extra click in the 12 speed shifter since the limit screw will prevent it from going that far.
    That's the type of answer I was hoping for. Is this the right one?
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...1-40T-11-Speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's the type of answer I was hoping for. Is this the right one?
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...1-40T-11-Speed
    I'm not sure all that is worth it to save 200 grams. Maybe it is for you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I'm not sure all that is worth it to save 200 grams. Maybe it is for you?
    Not necessarily, but I still like to have the right info before I make a decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Are you sure that cogs in 11 and 12 speed cassettes are spaced the same?