mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Oval to round to oval to round to...

I just ordered an oval chainring from absolute black to put on my xx1 crank. My question: the bike I use on my trainer has a round chainring. I've heard it can take a few rides to get the feel for the oval. So would going back and forth mess with my mind/legs? Don't want a discussion about oval not being effective/scam. I've read pages of that already. I'm just gonna give it a shot for kicks.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    I have oval on my road bike and round on my Mtb. I can't tell the difference. Haven't got around to putting oval on the Mtb yet. But it's on the to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I can't feel a difference when pedaling on my AB oval chainring. It felt normal from my first ride and I don't notice any weirdness when switching between my 3 bikes I ride all the time (only MTB has oval).

mtbr member
    I tell myself, I can feel a difference, but if you blindfolded me, I probably couldn't tell you which chainring I was riding.

Sticking to the topic. The difference is so subtle it will not mess with your mind/legs. There is no issues switching back and forth.

I have Round 2x mtn rings, oval mtn ring, round road ring, and *GASP* old school Biopace Road chainring. I switch constantly between them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I switch between bike with oval and one round. No issues. In fact, I like it. I do notice a positive difference in power transfer to wheels/ground with the oval. Glad it's on my mtb because of punchy steep climbs when fast transfer of torque really helps.

mtbr member
    I ride more radical elliptical chainrings on my three bikes than your AB oval rings and have a LeMond Revmaster spin bike. I definitely feel the tear drops hurting more on the Revmaster due to more knee strain. Other than that, you'll get used to the slight difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oval on mtb, round on road and cross. I can seamlessly go between bikes without having to adjust anything. MTB is typically at a lower cadence, where it is more beneficial.

First winter without knee pain (a lot more climbing where I ride mtb compared to road/cross). I'm sold on oval.