Otso Waheela S/Hollowtech BB/Shimano RS510 Crank/105 FD Issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Otso Waheela S/Hollowtech BB/Shimano RS510 Crank/105 FD Issue

Just got an Otso Waheela S, which rides like a dream--amazing bike. I do have one issue, though.

The 105 FD (Braze-On attached to clamp adapter) is right where it should be, both in distance above and in alignment with the chain rings, but when I drop it all the way down and disconnect the shift cable, despite taking the limit screw out as far as it will go, the FD will not go low enough to avoid chain rub when the chain is on the top 2 gears at the top of the cassette. It's hard to notice, because they have those plastic inserts in the FD cage now, but it's rubbing. I'm kind of picky about this sort of thing.

Otherwise, it shifts fine.

I feel like the drive side of the BB might need a spacer, though technically it should not need a spacer, as far as I understand things.

Has anyone else ever had this type of thing happen? Any ideas for solutions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    the BB and cranks should have whatever amount of spacers is prescribed for the BB, cranks, and BB shell width. no more and no less.

I would need photos to understand what's going on with the rest of that. why are you disconnecting the cable?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I disconnected the cable to make sure that the cable wasn't impeding the ability of the FD to reach the full extent of it's low adjustment.

68mm shell width
    R5500BB
    FC-RS510
    FD-R7000 (braze-on with clamp adapter)

Based on the shell width and parts, the prescription doesn't call for a spacer, and yet it still rubs. Pics are not possible right now.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Got it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    You could run a small spacer, 1mm shouldnt mess anything up. Sometimes documentation doesnt get it all right. Sometimes individual frame and setup is just a little out of spec of what they want. I just got super pimp crankset and new bottom bracket. According to docs it only supposedly needed one spindle spacer. I ended having to cob together 5mm additional spindle spacers!
    Heck, see if they make a .5mm bb spacer, that might be enough to get it to stop rubbing.