mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. Opinions/reviews on race face aeffect crank w cinch/direct mount???

I am spec'ing parts for a 2013 intense carbine frame I just bought and am wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge either good or bad feedback on the new 2016 race face aeffect cranks?? They have the 24mm spindle as opposed to the new 30mm of the turbine, but have the versatile cinch direct mount so you set them up for 1x10, 2x10 (or 3x10) and they would be backward compatible w the older BB standards.

The 24mm spindle size is a plus for me in that my frame already has a shimano BB installed, so the cranks would be compatible without having to buy and install a new PF BB92 BB. The prices are coming down to about $100 and the NW single rings can be found for around $50 and together the weigh around 750gms.

I ride in moab, xc/am and try to stay on the advance trails or easier, but I know I will venture beyond that some w the 6" suspension of the bike and I do enjoy going fast on the downhill sections. Want to make sure this will be a quality problem free design for my needs or should I consider stepping up to a more expensive option?? Or does a gal just use her old xt 2x10 or slx 3x10 cranks for a 1x11 setup and save some money,. The rest of the aeffect line is interesting as well, I might go for the 35mm stem as they are very affordable as well?? Going riding and will check back later, thx.

MCMXCV
    Interested in this as well

since 4/10/2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought the aeffect for my pugsley. Asked for some feedback in the fat bike forum, here's the thread.

Quick summary is most say it's the turbine arm with a steel spindle. Specs on RF site show a pretty minimal weight gain. Haven't ridden the crank yet, but it looks great, and the price was nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi,

As far as I know, this crankset (crankarms + spindle) is compatible with any BB (24mm) or I need the specific Aeffect cinch BB ???

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have the same question, can I just use this crank with BB that came with my Shimano XT M785 crank?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    I have the same question, can I just use this crank with BB that came with my Shimano XT M785 crank?
    Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question? I have race face aeffect cranks and need a new bottom bracket. Will the shimano bb work with this cranks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tykraenzler View Post
    Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question? I have race face aeffect cranks and need a new bottom bracket. Will the shimano bb work with this cranks?
    I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    I'm running that setup... well an older Shimano BB, but they were all the same for a few years.

Only comment I have about the crank (been riding this setup since spring) is you do need to check torque on the fixing bolt periodically. This is an every month or 2 type deal. Thing is if it comes loose on a ride, it needs.. 15 or 20 ft# (don't remember exactly, basically as tight as you can get it with common bike tools), it's just about impossible to get that torque with a multi-tool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got a frame coming with a 120 mm BSA (a mistake I think but gotta work with it now) and a 197 mm rear end. I'd like to use the Raceface aeffect and direct mount ring but RF site says their aeffect 190 mm spindle won't work with 120 mm BSA. however, they say their turbine with 189 mm spindle is ok. Killian at JensonUSA measured the two spindles and says they're the same. Can anybody think of why I couldn't go with the aeffect? Or, even better, has anybody used the aeffect with a 120 mm BSA BB?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    I've got a frame coming with a 120 mm BSA (a mistake I think but gotta work with it now) and a 197 mm rear end. I'd like to use the Raceface aeffect and direct mount ring but RF site says their aeffect 190 mm spindle won't work with 120 mm BSA. however, they say their turbine with 189 mm spindle is ok. Killian at JensonUSA measured the two spindles and says they're the same. Can anybody think of why I couldn't go with the aeffect? Or, even better, has anybody used the aeffect with a 120 mm BSA BB?
    It has to do with the way the crank preloads the bearings.

Turbine cinch has a preload adjuster to do that. The crank bolt doesn't preload the bearings. But for the aeffect, that is exactly how it works. So spacing needs to be precise for the aeffect.

And, 24mm spindle spacers are uncommon. Widest size is 1mm. There are wider spindle spacers available for 30mm spindles.

Technically you can make the aeffect work, but you have to get the spacers exact so the bb bearings are preloaded correctly. And you will have to buy a LOT of spacers to fill in the space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

thanks harold

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It has to do with the way the crank preloads the bearings.

Turbine cinch has a preload adjuster to do that. The crank bolt doesn't preload the bearings. But for the aeffect, that is exactly how it works. So spacing needs to be precise for the aeffect.

And, 24mm spindle spacers are uncommon. Widest size is 1mm. There are wider spindle spacers available for 30mm spindles.

Technically you can make the aeffect work, but you have to get the spacers exact so the bb bearings are preloaded correctly. And you will have to buy a LOT of spacers to fill in the space.
    Thanks harold but the aeffect cinch should use that same preload method, shouldn't it?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    Thanks harold but the aeffect cinch should use that same preload method, shouldn't it?
    no.

The Aeffect only uses the CINCH chainring/spider interface, NOT the CINCH spindle/bb interface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Raceface was willing to send me extra spacers for my aeffect (100mm version) because it didn't ship with enough. Have you tried contacting RF directly to ask them about this? They were very helpful with I contacted them. If they won't give you the seal of approval on this, they might be helpful in getting the right spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks Harold, that's gotta be the reason turbine is recommended and aeffect isn't for 120 bsa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hi guys - bringing up a bit of a zombie thread, but hoping someone might have ended up running this (RaceFace Aeffect 170mm) with a flipped 6mm offset ring.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post13271087

I am trying to figure out if the flipped 6mm offset ring will physically fit. If you have run this or can look at your setup and tell if it would work, i'd greatly appreciate your input!

Thank you!