NX 11-42 vs GX 9-46- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NX 11-42 vs GX 9-46

Looking at options on a new bike and one of the options is the SRAM GX which is a $200 add on.

Wondering if this is an option that I should consider?

I believe the GX provides a lower and a higher gear over the NX so how would I evaluate if this is something I would benefit from. If anything, I would need a lower granny gear but guess the chainring could always be changed if I really needed a lower gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    SRAM GX comes in 2 variants, 11 and 12 speed (Eagle). 11 speed is 10-42 and 12 speed is 10-50.There is no 9-46 from SRAM that I know of but there are 3rd party cassettes that do that range.

NX comes in 11-42 and uses a Shimano style cassette hub (not XD driver like most of the other SRAM cassettes), so you can't easily convert from NX to GX later, without also upgrading your freehub body ($80-100), so keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Use an online gear calculator to compare the new gearing to your existing. Dont forget to account for any change in wheel size. You can easily adjust gearing on 1x setups by swapping chainrings. 4 bolt crank spiders have a limit to hiw small of a chainring can fit on there. Usually 1x setups will have some small comprimise in either low end or top end gearing relative to double and triple chainring setups.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Use an online gear calculator to compare the new gearing to your existing. Dont forget to account for any change in wheel size. You can easily adjust gearing on 1x setups by swapping chainrings. 4 bolt crank spiders have a limit to hiw small of a chainring can fit on there. Usually 1x setups will have some small comprimise in either low end or top end gearing relative to double and triple chainring setups.
    Dischucker is correct, it's a third party cassette that is being offered with that drivetrain upgrade.

My current 29er has a low gear with a 24t crank and a 36t CR.

The new bike will be a 27.5 plus with a 30t crank and a 42t CR so I need to look it up to determine how it compares. I prefer a 1x drive and that is what's being offered on most all of the new bikes, like almost new new cars are only available with automatic transmissions! I am hoping my low gear is as low as my current 29er and if not, I guess I will need to have the crank arms replaced to get a smaller chainring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

NX 11-42 vs GX 9-46

9-46 sounds like the e13 cassette which requires an XD freehub.

Yes, if it were my money, I would definitely upgrade for 200 bucks. Whether you get the e13 or the actual GX which is 10-42. Each of these cassettes alone will also drop about .4 pounds off the bike. That is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    9-46 sounds like the e13 cassette which requires an XD freehub.

Yes, if it were my money, I would definitely upgrade for 200 bucks. Whether you get the e13 or the actual GX which is 10-42. Each of these cassettes alone will also drop about .4 pounds off the bike. That is a lot.

There is really that much of a weight difference?? And, is the GX a better shifting package?

The cassette is a third party unit, it's an e13 TRS 9-46 and it's mostly the lower gears that I need rather than the high end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Dischucker is correct, it's a third party cassette that is being offered with that drivetrain upgrade.

My current 29er has a low gear with a 24t crank and a 36t CR.

The new bike will be a 27.5 plus with a 30t crank and a 42t CR so I need to look it up to determine how it compares. I prefer a 1x drive and that is what's being offered on most all of the new bikes, like almost new new cars are only available with automatic transmissions! I am hoping my low gear is as low as my current 29er and if not, I guess I will need to have the crank arms replaced to get a smaller chainring?
    Are you looking at the gg trail pistol? It looks like they come with raceface aeffect cranks which should be direct mount chainrings. That makes it very easy to swap chainrings and no, you shouldnt need a new crankset. I would confirm with gg that it is the direct mount version of that crank because i think raceface might make a 4 bolt version also.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yes, the cassette alone is 200 grams lighter. A tad more for the light e13.

NX is a beast of a cassette. 525 g

If it is the low gear range you are concerned with, I would get a GX with a smaller front chainring to not have the big jumps either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Yes, the cassette alone is 200 grams lighter. A tad more for the light e13.

NX is a beast of a cassette. 525 g

If it is the low gear range you are concerned with, I would get a GX with a smaller front chainring to not have the big jumps either.

Yes, my concern is the low end so you recommend the GX with a SMS.ler tooth crank?

I was told these 1x drives do put a lot of extra force on the chain but guess you just need to be more diligent with cleaning and keeping it lubricated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Are you looking at the gg trail pistol? It looks like they come with raceface aeffect cranks which should be direct mount chainrings. That makes it very easy to swap chainrings and no, you shouldnt need a new crankset. I would confirm with gg that it is the direct mount version of that crank because i think raceface might make a 4 bolt version also.
    Yes, you nailed it, I'm thinking of ordering a Trail Pistol and I'm still hung up as to going with the specified Suntour Fork or sucking up some big change to go for the upgraded fork that is about $450 more if my memory is correct.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yes, for nice range down in the bottom 3-4 gears. If it is the direct mount dram crankset, you can get direct mount chainring all the way down to even 26 or so. 28-30 would be great for most on a 10-42.

I run a 32. 34-36 is appropriate for racers and fast people in flat areas.
    Good luck spinning a 36-10 unless you are going down a street hill.

Elitest thrill junkie
    SRAM tested, but ultimately decided not to produce, a 9t rear cog, due to significant efficiency losses with gears that small. Definitely wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0