Novice question - converting to a 1x10 on a Scalpel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Novice question - converting to a 1x10 on a Scalpel

I know this has to have been asked to death, but hopefully you'll excuse it being asked one more time. I'm pretty new at this and just want to make the right decision before ordering parts.

I have a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er 4 and right now I have the stock 3x10 setup. My bike has a BB30, FSA Comet cranks and a 10 speed Shimano HG-62 cog on the back. The front chainring is a 42/32/24. I spend 99.9% of my time on the 24T ring, and my riding is all twisty singletrack/woods/XC.

I want to go to a single chainring up front with a bash guard, but am at a loss as to what to go for. Ideally I'd like a 30T sprocket.

Stupid questions abound:

- Can I keep my stock cranks? Or am I better off buying a crankset that comes with a single 30T ring? I'd really like to try the Race Face narrow/wide 30T, but have no idea if it will work with what I have now.

- Since I want a bashguard, should I get a crankset (or sprocket set?) that's for a 2x10 setup, and use the inner ring for the drivetrain and replace the outer ring with a guard? Or is there a better way to go about it?

- I have a BB30 - will any BB30 crankset fit my bike? (I assume this one is a yes...)

Basically I'd like to keep it around/under $300, so if anyone could shoot me some suggestions on a good single 30T+Bashguard setup that would fit my bike, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    as long as your cranks have bolts in them you should be able to just take all those rings off and put the 30tooth narrow wide on the middle ring and the bash in the bigger ring position.

It sounds like you actually have a pretty ideal set up to do a 1x10 conversion. If you are ditching the front derailleur you might want to consider a chain guide of some sort or a clutch derail. Depending on your terrain though the narrow wide might be good enough

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply! I've been chatting with a buddy of mine who's much more knowledgable about these things than I am, and he suggested the same thing. I already have a clutch derailleur (XT shadow), so I believe that I can go with this 30T narrow wide:

Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles

And this XCG guard:

Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | Shop

And pretty much be all set. I'm not the most aggressive rider, and my same buddy has had great luck running a Wolfetooth narrow/wide without any chain drops. (He has a clutch derailleur as well).

I'm cautiously optimistic right now because this is way less expensive than I thought it would be... Which means more bike parts somewhere else!

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    its only a clutch if it is an xt shadow plus. Shadow just refers to a lower profile. If it has a clutch there is literally a switch on it that says on and off.

mtbr member
    Sorry - yeah it is a shadow plus. I upgraded to it earlier this season after quite fantastically destroying my regular shadow that it came with on a rocky trail.

Looks like my bike doesn't have ISCG tabs though, so I'm back to a regular bash. If I'm running a 30T chain ring, then a 36T bash is my best bet, yes?

(Thanks again, there's a lot to learn when you're starting out, haha.)

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    yea you could actually get a smaller bash and have more clearance but nothing wrong with going with a 36. That way if you eventually want a bigger ring your bash would still be usable. Just depends on what you want. If you are trying to save every gram of weight get a 32.

I ordered a 30tooth narrow wide from Jenson a few weeks ago with a 20%off coupon for about 48 bucks. At the shop doing the conversion now. Cant wait to get it back. I had to get new everything though. New cranks, cassette, derail

mtbr member
    Nah, my bike's heavy as it is (and so am I, haha), but I may go with the 32 anyway.

Cheers man

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    pricepoint has them for $50 right now

mtbr member
    Hell yeah, you just saved me $20, haha. Thanks - yet again!

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Yeap. I also go to Jenson, Price point, nashbar, blue sky and chain reaction to scan prices. Jenson is my favorite as I've had great customer service from them and also they do a stellar price match which can often be done instantaneously online. If you spend 50 bucks at jenson you get free shipping. I've found a few times I could find things on chain reaction that will auto price match on jenson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You may also want to think about going to a medium cage derailleur. I went from a long cage to a short cage after converting to 2x9 and like it a lot better.

mtbr member
    I definitely plan to. I ride a lot of rocky terrain up here, and I'm already on my third rear derailleur (I've only had my bike about 6 months). I'm sure I'll end up blowing up my current long cage early in the spring, and will make the switch then.

Also (in case anyone else with a Scalpel finds this thread), my frame doesn't have ISCG tabs, so I ended up going with a standard black race face bash guard instead of the XCG one that I linked up there.

My MTB Videos

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I know this has to have been asked to death, but hopefully you'll excuse it being asked one more time. I'm pretty new at this and just want to make the right decision before ordering parts.

I have a 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er 4 and right now I have the stock 3x10 setup. My bike has a BB30, FSA Comet cranks and a 10 speed Shimano HG-62 cog on the back. The front chainring is a 42/32/24. I spend 99.9% of my time on the 24T ring, and my riding is all twisty singletrack/woods/XC.

I want to go to a single chainring up front with a bash guard, but am at a loss as to what to go for. Ideally I'd like a 30T sprocket.

Stupid questions abound:

- Can I keep my stock cranks? Or am I better off buying a crankset that comes with a single 30T ring? I'd really like to try the Race Face narrow/wide 30T, but have no idea if it will work with what I have now.

- Since I want a bashguard, should I get a crankset (or sprocket set?) that's for a 2x10 setup, and use the inner ring for the drivetrain and replace the outer ring with a guard? Or is there a better way to go about it?

- I have a BB30 - will any BB30 crankset fit my bike? (I assume this one is a yes...)

Basically I'd like to keep it around/under $300, so if anyone could shoot me some suggestions on a good single 30T+Bashguard setup that would fit my bike, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

YOu need to get stronger before you decide to ditch the other chain rings and go to a dedicated 1x system.....or else you are going to spend a sh*tload of time walking. Going from a 34 to a 36 in the rear won't make up for the big jump from a 24 to a 30t up front.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    YOu need to get stronger before you decide to ditch the other chain rings and go to a dedicated 1x system.....or else you are going to spend a sh*tload of time walking. Going from a 34 to a 36 in the rear won't make up for the big jump from a 24 to a 30t up front.
    Well, I like to think I'm stronger than when I started out. I rode over 1,000 miles this season, and train my ass off, haha. I never really used the absolute granny gear on the 24. I figure if I end up really missing it, I'll just have to man the hell up or switch to a smaller chainring with my tail between my legs.

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    While I'm at it - the 36T probably wouldn't hurt, and make me eat my words there a tiny bit less, haha.

Any Shimano 10 speed rear cassette should be a direct swap for what I have now, correct? I have the HG-62 right now. I assume that this XT 11-36 should bolt right up?

Shimano XT Dyna-Sys CS-M771 Cassette | Competitive Cyclist

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You'll get stronger simply by ditching the other rings, plus you're riding will be more fluid without those big gear jumps. A 28T or 30T ring up front and 11-36 in the back sounds like it would be what you're after. Not sure if you can put a 28T ring in the middle, but check the granny ring's chainline. Mine lines up with the middle cog so inner or middle ring is OK for my 1x setup.

mtbr member
    you can also look into the one up if you needed, little pricey though

mtbr member
    Woah, this thing?

PressRelease: The OneUp Components 42T sprocket | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

That looks awesome!

Edit: Also, this forum is murder on my wallet, haha.

My MTB Videos

mtbr member

Novice question - converting to a 1x10 on a Scalpel

Edit: Also, this forum is murder on my wallet, haha.

Yea you ain't kidding!!!

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.