Thread: Noisy Ti frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Noisy Ti frame

My Lynskey MT650 is creaking like crazy. It's several months old, about 1K miles. I removed the pedals, the cranks and the BB. I greased the pedals and the cranks and put new anti-seize compound on the BB treads. Oh, it's a SRAM X10 1X11 w/ Trutaviv / SRAM GXP BB. The creaking noise is still there.
    Question: Does anyone use grease instead of anti-seize on their BB's / Ti frames?

mtbr member
    Grease would have no advantage over anti-seize as far as creak resistance goes, I'd stick with anti-seize. Are you 100% positive the noise is coming from the crankset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chainring bolts?

mtbr member
    Are you sure the BB isn't just shot? Mine have always creaked on every frame I've ever had when they wear out.

FWIW I don't think they are dead yet when they make noise. Usually they'll go a long time before they get loose and really need replacing.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    New bike, BB can't be shot already. No chain ring bolts. The chain ring is direct attachment. It has to be coming from "down there" somewhere. When I pedal backwards the noisy subsides for a little while. The bike was assembled by Lynskey and they used anti seize on the BB. They are the Ti experts. Could be a bad BB. I'll keep digging.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've had noisey bbs out of the box. Or you could have a cracked frame.

mtbr member
    I killed a BB already this year. Less than 1k miles I'm sure. I don't know what it is but I always seem to kill them quick.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
    It has to be coming from "down there" somewhere.
    You might be surprised how creaky noises can seem to come from a particular area and later be discovered that it was actually something completely different. There have been times when tightening a qr lever has cured what I would have sworn was a bad bb.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Like right now I've got a creaking headset that I would have sworn was making noise at my lower suspension link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had two issues with creaking ti bikes. 1st was a small crack behind the bb shell. After getting it rewelded it sounded just as bad if not worse. Turned out the seat tube insert was the issue. Took out the seat post, flipped the bike upside down and sprayed some lube up the tube so it would run back down between the insert and seat tube. Instant fix, so far so good 2 years later.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Saw this a while back - may give some good ideas what to look for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAGsPYphpYc

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Take the bike down to a bare frame, and grease every contact point on the bike.

Seat/seat post/seat post clamp
    Rear dropouts
    Derailleur
    bb threads
    crank spindle
    chainring bolts
    headset

Until you do this, do not complain any more.

damned rocks...
    I would start by cleaning the seat tube and greasing the seatpost and clamp, I have lost the count on people complaining about the BB, when the only thing they needed to do was simply to clean and grease the seatpost.
    But it can be your BB, my current BB lasted around 2000Km and it creaks each time I pedal with my left leg. Your BB only has a couples miles less then mine so it can also be worn out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I would start by cleaning the seat tube and greasing the seatpost and clamp, I have lost the count on people complaining about the BB, when the only thing they needed to do was simply to clean and grease the seatpost.

The seat/seatpost is a common area for creaky noises to emit from but it only takes a few seconds to check, just get off the saddle. If the noise persists then it must be something else.

Formerly Curtezyflush
    Rear quick release has been one that gotten me. Another, is my bottle cage bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do your cranks have a bolt on or integrated spider? The last time I ran Sram cranks the spider-to-crank interface developed a creak, it uses a sloppy keyed interface with just three little bolts to hold it together.