Next SL Cinch vs Turbine Cinch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Next SL Cinch vs Turbine Cinch

Any good reason not to upgrade to Next SL from Turbine on a new bike. I'm about 195lbs, ride some some pretty rough terrain but no big drops or jumps. I'm thinking the $300 CDN upcharge is worth it.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

Lazy Overachiever
    Strong recommend from me. Never had a Turbine, but I can tell you I've bought my last Hollowgram SL. Really like the wider bearing stance, and the price is reasonable considering the weight/stiffness/cost ratio. I'm not sold on their PF30 BB kit: seems a little underwhelming.

FM
    mtbr member
    The cinch system is about the first crankset I've actually been excited about... easy to work on, adapts to multiple standards, works great... the Next SL's are super light and mine have been silent and problem free.

My only complaint is that you need a special tool for the raceface BB.. but I am actually running an E13 BB with mine, just because I already had their special tool.

Run some crank boots and skins to protect your investment. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Next Sl's based on my experience so far (I think I got mine 08/14)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I'm about 195lbs, ride some some pretty rough terrain but no big drops or jumps.
    Sorry Travis, donít mean to hijack here, just trying to take it a step further. Iím 230lbs, and ride pretty rough terrain AND a few jumps....and Iím about to throw my first Next SL crank on my new build, so Iím interested in the responses here too. Iíve heard nothing but good so far, but lately Iíve found myself laying awake at night wondering if Iím about to make a tactical error. If Iím not mistaken, in between the heavy duty aluminum Turbine, and the uber-light carbon Next SL, lies what appears to be a beefed up version of the Next SL, the carbon Sixc. Canít help but wonder if this is where I belong. Any horror stories of breakages with the Next SL?

meow meow
    ^probably the next sl would be fine but if i was you i too would rest a bit easier with the sixc on my bike. the weight difference isn't all that great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I will stand by the next sl's. I have had 2 pairs, 1 cinch, and the other was the previous edition, solid cranks. One particular meat head i know was given a pre production set, because of his strong opinion against carbon cranks... he didn't want to have to give them back at the end of his long term test.

The next sl's should hold up to alot of abuse. If you are absolutely terrified of shearing a crank (which honestly, i doubt will ever happen) get the sixc cranks. There are a bunch of WC riders who use them, and lets be real, if its good enough for them, its probably good enough for you.

mtbr member
    Probably good enough for me. I don't think I can squeeze in an World Cup races this year😉
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Yeah, me too. Unless I hear about an actual catastrophic failure, which Iím sure would be plastered all over here by now, Iím going with Ďem. They sure look super solid, and OMG are they light!

Axe
    Custom User Title

Next SL Cinch vs Turbine Cinch

There was a discussion recently that Cinches are actually not the same, and one can not for example use Next SL arms on 83mm spindle from SixC.
    So much for "standard".

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There was a catastrophic Next SL failure posted over on the fatbike forum, but it looks like a unique event that Race Face is standing behind. I'm trying to decide the same thing for my Specialized Fatboy, and was unaware of the SixC crankset. Too bad it doesn't appear that they're promoting it yet with a 100mm axle option.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by middle america View Post
    There was a catastrophic Next SL failure posted over on the fatbike forum, but it looks like a unique event that Race Face is standing behind. I'm trying to decide the same thing for my Specialized Fatboy, and was unaware of the SixC crankset. Too bad it doesn't appear that they're promoting it yet with a 100mm axle option.
    Got a link to that thread? I must have missed it.

The next SL cranks I have on my bucksaw have been fantastic. No noises, no issues, just light and stiff.

mtbr member
    FWIW, been riding the SLís pretty hard for a few months now....nothing but solid so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    FWIW, been riding the SLís pretty hard for a few months now....nothing but solid so far.
    Same here. I put some green tinted crankskins on em, bling.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Weight difference between XX1 with Absolute Black direct mount ring and Next SL?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Weight difference between XX1 with Absolute Black direct mount ring and Next SL?
    Don't know, but Next SL/28t is 425g, XX1/32t is 645g. I just pulled these off the manufacturers sites. RF is lighter but how much?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Looks like about 100g.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    From Art's Cyclery.

"At an actual weight of just 378 grams for the 175mm length arms that I tested, the Race Face Next SL crank arms are insanely light. Of course I needed at least one chainring to go with it unless I wanted to limit myself to only competing in chainless downhill racing. Iíve been using a 1x10 setup for the past two years so I set the Next SLís up with a 30-tooth ring that is just right for me on my Intense Carbine 29 (but you can get all the way down to a 26-tooth ring if you want). With the 55 gram chainring installed the total weight came to just 433 grams! Compared to Shimanoís XTR M9000 single ring crankset with a claimed weight of over 600 grams, the big S isnít even close.

Perhaps a more apt comparison would be with e13ís TRS-R single ring cranks. They use a similar chainring mounting system, a 30mm spindle like the Next SLís and a similar bearing preload adjustment collar. Price is roughly the same as the Next SLís as well.

With a 34-tooth ring installed the e13 TRS-R cranks come in at a claimed 585 grams, which is still 137 grams heavier than the Next SL crankset with an equivalent 34-tooth chainring installed.

SRAM XX1 GXP cranks are 510 grams without any chainring installed. XX1 cranks with a 30-tooth ring installed come to 558 grams, which makes them 125 grams heavier than the Race Face Next SL Crankset with the same size chainring installed.

I think it is safe to say that Race Face has won the Weight Comparo Battle."
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Been on mine 2+ seasons. Single speed, using rf platform pedals. Lots of miles lots of rock and root strikes. Best lightest mtb crank I have run on a bike. Rock boots on the crank ends and protector stickers on the sides means cranks still look good. Using their pf 30 bb still smooth and tight, just jam it full of phil's wp grease. Will keep running it til the carbon breaks down.
    Last edited by timsmcm; 05-27-2015 at 09:29 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Got a link to that thread? I must have missed it.

The next SL cranks I have on my bucksaw have been fantastic. No noises, no issues, just light and stiff.
    Don't know the link to the thread, but pretty sure that's a friend of mine who broke his Next SL's. He lives in Oklahoma, and based on what he's told me, it's a freak accident. He's tall, but a pretty skinny guy. And the trail he was riding was very non-technical. Much like Town Run, according to him (he lived in Indy for a few years). RF thinks his pedal spindles were too long, creating too much torque (he says he's using standard spindle spd's), but they warrantied them this time...and gave him a warning about it in case it happens again.

I can't find a thread about it (he is a member here), but he posted at length about it on Facebook and he has privacy set on his stuff so it can't be shared directly.

Here's a pic.

Next SL Cinch vs Turbine Cinch-nextsl_broken.jpg