new XT first impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. I want to put an order in as soon as possible.

Unfortunately not too much detail and unfortunately there is confusing information out there. The Shimano website shows only a SG (medium cage) rear derailleur but the Chain Reaction Cycles has a choice of SG and SGS (long cage). There is also only single number of 39T for rear derailleur capacity, so why then would there be two lengths?

I'd also like to know why I can only use an 11/42T with a single chain ring when the smallest single ring is 30T. I'd like to run it with a 24/34T double.

Anyone have some more insight?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Thanks for that. I want to put an order in as soon as possible.

Unfortunately not too much detail and unfortunately there is confusing information out there. The Shimano website shows only a SG (medium cage) rear derailleur but the Chain Reaction Cycles has a choice of SG and SGS (long cage). There is also only single number of 39T for rear derailleur capacity, so why then would there be two lengths?

I'd also like to know why I can only use an 11/42T with a single chain ring when the smallest single ring is 30T. I'd like to run it with a 24/34T double.

Anyone have some more insight?
    Where did you find that? The only restrictions I've heard are that

A) You "can't" use and XTR Rear D with the 11-42 cassette

B) You can't use the 11-42 with a double or triple

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    B) You can't use the 11-42 with a double or triple
    Isn't that what I said?

"I can only use an 11/42T with a single chain ring"
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Shimano's product info website is where you need to look.

Specs: http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe...r%20Derailleur
    Lineups: http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/lc/..._xt_m8000/2x11

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Shimano's product info website is where you need to look.

Specs: 2015-2016 SHIMANO Product Information Web
    Lineups: 2015-2016 SHIMANO Product Information Web
    Thanks for that. I found the RD-M8000-SGS has a capacity of 47T, and yet they show the 11/42T cassette for single chain rings only and 11/40T for 2 and 3 rings. If I used 24/34T and 11/42T requires a capacity of only 41T. I don't get it.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Would you really need a 24 - 42 combination?

It's a very low gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Would you really need a 24 - 42 combination?

It's a very low gear.
    I've currently got a nine speed 22 - 34 low gear on a 29" bike. That's a ratio of 0.65. 24 - 40 is 0.6 so hardly a gear lower. A few years ago we were all 26" bikes with 22/32/44T cranks and 11/34T cassettes (elite racers included). If you look at gear inches that is about the same as the drive train I would like to have:

HTML5 Gear Calculator

I know younger guys can get away with higher gearing but I'm 65 and would like the lower gearing. My last ride was 17 plus miles with 2000ft. elevation gain and I'm keeping up with people a lot younger but my legs aren't getting any younger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    seems like if you are running a double then you dont really need the 11-42 because you can adjust your two rings on the front to have full coverage.

The purpose of 11-42 is to get enough spread with only a single ring in front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use 22-42 almost every weekend (on a 29'er).
    It all depends on the terrain you are riding.
    Key word in that sentence is "riding".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I run 20-32-44 x 11-34 9 spd on my 29er with modified clutch der, a typical ride I do several times a week is about 25 miles climbing over 2000ft with about 9 miles flat road to or from with the prevailing wind mostly in top gear.
    I've read the side swing M8000 FD is and isn't available in band mount, if it is I'd be tempted to try it with a 42 ring but the M8000 triple's 40-11 top gear would be too low for me.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby. View Post
    I've read the side swing M8000 FD is and isn't available in band mount,
    Scroll through the specs and you'll find 4 side swing band mount XT derailleurs.

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe...t%20Derailleur

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks cobba, I see they're all 18t capacity and I doubt I could exceed it by 4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i-Spec... Come on! They offer the new M8000 shifter in i-Spec B so it will mount to my current brake lever no problem, well that's great unless I ever want to upgrade my brakes! Then I get a shiny new i-Spec II set of levers that I can't attach my i-Spec B shifters to. Assuming that they are still using i-Spec II when I get around to upgrading brakes. It will probably be the new and non-compatible Q-Spec XXIV. So what? Now if you want to upgrade to 11 speed you need new brakes? Insanity.

Saving lives with knives.
    Does any one know what shimano's single ring chain retention strategy is? It does not appear to be a narrow-wide profile.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Does any one know what shimano's single ring chain retention strategy is? It does not appear to be a narrow-wide profile.
    They're taller and slightly hooked towards the front. They say it helps by 150%.

I'll be sticking with NW, personally

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did you ever get an answer on the reasoning behind not "allowing" the 11-42T to be use in 2x setup. FC indicated in another thread that it just worked...

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Ah, the question I was searching for. So these aren't n/w but work in the same function.

Since this is several months old thread, how's the chain retention working for XT8000 users? Anyone using a guide with? Any problems running 1x crankset with an XT 10spd clutch der and chain setup until time to upgrade to full 11 spd setup?

Thanks in advance.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5