New Shifter and RD option for 8 speed Trek 6000- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New Shifter and RD option for 8 speed Trek 6000

Hi folks, new to the site and hoping you can point me in the right direction....

Looking to update the rear derailleur and shifter on my 10+ year old Trek 6000. The bike is solid, my skills and the fact that I have 3 kids don't warrant dropping any cash on a whole new ride today. The shifter is shot - it's an 8 speed cassette and I simply want to strip off and replace the RD & shifter.

It has a shimano deore lx RD and whatever stock shifter came with it.

Two questions:
    -can a new 9 speed RD and shifter work with the existing mounts and cassette?
    -if so, what's a good grade that balances price and performance. I don't care about weight - but want rock solid shifting.

Thanks!

What could go wrong ...
    the 9 speed RD and shifter will work but you will need to get a 9 speed cassette and a 9 speed chain. Shimano SLX would be a good place to start.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Are you sure you need to replace them? A little cleaning has been known to go a long way in a shifter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thx for the tip. my wife surprised me last year for Father's Day and put a new chain and 8 sp cassette on it. so if possible I'd want to keep those parts. otherwise I'm looking at a cassette, chain, probably front chain rings too?

think it's possible for me to get my hands on an 8 speed shifter? something vintage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    no - not sure at all, actually. spend some time last year cleaning the shifter mechanism. if shifts "up" perfectly, but the downshifting ratchet doesn't catch correctly. don't know if it's a worn pall, or gunk. tried soaking it in penetrating oil and relubricating, no luck.

leaning toward an ebay auction for an 8 speed shifter at this point. can't justify a couple hundred for 1 more gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    Are you sure you need to replace them? A little cleaning has been known to go a long way in a shifter.

x2.

8 out of 10 "broken" rapidfire shifters work like new after a good cleaning (de-grease) and re-lube. No need to disassemble- takes about 5-10 minutes, maybe worth a shot.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Shifters do wear out, eventually. At more than a decade and a previous flush, I don't think this one owes you anything.

When I was still in school, my choice would have been Deore 9-speed for the shifter and derailleur and SRAM 950 for the cassette and chain.

Take a little time getting good, square ends on your shifter cable housing and you won't be impressed at demo days. :-)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx