New bike, new questions..cassette questions..- Mtbr.com
    '11 Opus Strat

New bike, new questions..cassette questions..

Ok, So I got this bike given to me after I had to sell my previous ( my baby ) bike last last year... Sad, I know..

I now have a "GT Aggressor Comp 2016"
    It's nothing special at all, but I have not owned many bikes and still find myself running into parts that I need some help identifying purpose, etc.

This is it, I want to start a tool collection and so far I have a chain whip and a 'Shimano Cassette & Center Lock - Lockring Tool' for addressing the cassette. However, I am not sure what tool I need for this.. Is it a type of lock ring? Do I need another tool to remove the cassette?
    ( The outside ring with the grooves )

Any information would be extremely helpful! Thank you!New bike, new questions..cassette questions..-cassette.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

mtbr member
    You have a freewheel so you need a Shimano freewheel tool and a wrench or a vice, which is kind of unfortunate because freewheel hubs can't really withstand much, if any off road use.
    I brake for stinkbugs

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You have a freewheel so you need a Shimano freewheel tool and a wrench or a vice, which is kind of unfortunate because freewheel hubs can't really withstand much, if any off road use.
    Thank you! I thought I needed something else.

I found the Parks Tool FR-1, adding that to the shopping list.

Now..What about that black ring on the outside with the grooves in it? Almost looks like an SS locking ring..?

mtbr member
    Unlike a cassette a freewheel comes off in one piece by turning the freewheel tool counter-clockwise, no chain whip is used. The ring is only for disassembling the freewheel, which hopefully you'll never have to do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    They'll handle off road use, just not big hits. A freewheel hub design places the bearings further in than on a 8speed or higher freehub. Take a big jump, risk bending an axle.

Also, you can't put a cassette onto a freewheel hub. IMO, unless something is wrong with that freewheel, leave it as is. Can't improve that wheel too much without being a money pit. Only real option would be changing the 14-34 Megarange freewheel to one with slightly better gearing range. From a reliability standpoint, those shimano megarange freewheels are pretty bulletproof though.

For tools, if you're serious about having a complete tool kit, I'd recommend just getting one of these kits. There are going to be a couple duplicates, but it's never a bad idea to have a basic kit for the car and a second one for home. There are many out there, but they basically all use the same box/layout/tools. Just different stickers on the tools. nashbar usually does a 20% off sale. If you don't want a kit or want better quality tools, these at least give you a basic list of the tools you should have.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/incredibl...ialtoolkit.htm
    Nashbar Essential Tool Kit
    JensonUSA 728 Tool Kit > Accessories > Tools > Tool Kits | Jenson USA
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

'11 Opus Strat
    I don't know how to thank you enough. I tried Googling everything and not even remotely close as getting a answer as clear as that.

Well, I'll have a couple extra tools, but can be put to use on the wifes bike and friends.

Thanks again!

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    They'll handle off road use, just not big hits. A freewheel hub design places the bearings further in than on a 8speed or higher freehub. Take a big jump, risk bending an axle.

Also, you can't put a cassette onto a freewheel hub. IMO, unless something is wrong with that freewheel, leave it as is. Can't improve that wheel too much without being a money pit. Only real option would be changing the 14-34 Megarange freewheel to one with slightly better gearing range. From a reliability standpoint, those shimano megarange freewheels are pretty bulletproof though.

For tools, if you're serious about having a complete tool kit, I'd recommend just getting one of these kits. There are going to be a couple duplicates, but it's never a bad idea to have a basic kit for the car and a second one for home. There are many out there, but they basically all use the same box/layout/tools. Just different stickers on the tools. nashbar usually does a 20% off sale. If you don't want a kit or want better quality tools, these at least give you a basic list of the tools you should have.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/incredibl...ialtoolkit.htm
    Nashbar Essential Tool Kit
    JensonUSA 728 Tool Kit > Accessories > Tools > Tool Kits | Jenson USA
    Thanks as well!

This bike will mainly see a cargo trailer and 'not overly rough' tractor trails/rail trails.
    Primary uses, like my previous bike, will be for hunting/fishing.
    My jumping days are done..

Tight budget as we are on kid #2 so if nothing breaks, I won't replace it until it does!

I should have bought that tool kit in the beginning, I think for the price I can sneak it in there somewhere as it would be just nice to have those extra and some I don't have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    They'll handle off road use, just not big hits.
    Not IME. Most folks would consider my normal loop pretty xc-ish and I'm 100% confident that hub wouldn't survive even one of my rides. Before cassettes lots of companies made quality freewheel hubs with cro-mo axles but they are now extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    Tight budget as we are on kid #2 so if nothing breaks, I won't replace it until it does!
    That's a sensible route IMO, and if/when that axle bends I'd highly recommend just replacing the whole thing with a cassette wheel, even if it's a really cheap one.
    I brake for stinkbugs

'11 Opus Strat
    That's a sensible route IMO, and if/when that axle bends I'd highly recommend just replacing the whole thing with a cassette wheel, even if it's a really cheap one.[/QUOTE]

Already looking at options.. window shopping.

I am just happy to have a bike again