mtbr member
    Nov 2015

New 1x11 Setup - Need your help!

Hi!

So, hopefully this thread will eventually help other individuals experiencing the same dilemma as me... now to my current situation.

Currently, i own a 2014 Scott genius 740 which is a 3x10 setup. And essentially i'm wanting to revamp this with a 1x11 system - Preferably Shimano due to SRAM compatibility issues with the freehub.

Brief outline of Specs:
    Rear derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
    Front derailleur: Shimano Deore - (absolutely useless )
    Cassete: Shimano(11-36 tooth)
    Chainrings: 40A/30A/22 tooth

In order to upgrade this to a 1x11 setup, i have two options...

1. Buy a Shimano M8000 1x11 groupset - easy, minimal fuss but more $$

Or

2. Purchase individual parts:
    • Raceface NW Single chainring
    • Use either current or new cranks - depending on price (preferably new)
    • Purchase Shimano M8000 (maybe some other brand - not sure) cassette, shifters, rear derailleur and chain (will current shifters work?)

​*Need to purchase new rear derailleur as current one is bent and in poor condition

Now to the nitty gritty questions...

32 or 34 tooth chainring alongside a 11 - 42t cassette?
    I ride quite steep and hilly areas (Gap creek in particular) so i require a chainring which is great for climbing but will also suit downhill sections.
    90% of my ride is in the middle cog (30t)

Are my current 3x cranks compatible with the RaceFace NW chainring?
    I've seen some people on youtube use a 3x crank with this particular chainring.. but i'm not 100% sure.
    Will i require different chainring bolts?

​Are my current deore shifters compatible with the proposed rear derailleur?
    Is it essential to upgrade shifters alongside the rear derailleur? Or am i right to use current shifters and wait and save up for the XT ones?

I hope I haven't bored you to death, but your help will be greatly appreciated
    Have any of you had experience with a similar upgrade - how did things go?

That should be the majority of questions so far, and should hopefully clear a lot of things up
    Many Thanks,
    Cam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm happy with my Oval 32T but it all depends on what type of riding you do, if it's more hills then 32T should be the one but if it's more flat land then 34T should be perfect.

You should be able to use your cranks and install it on your spider which should 104BCD

Your shifters are not compatible with 11 speed cassette/Derailleur

Basically you would need to purchase M8000 rear shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. The Race Face should work.

mtbr member
    Second the Gamaruk Melon. It works great with a perfect chain line. My 1x11 is as follows:

• XT M8000 derailleur
    • XTR Shifter
    • XT 1140 cassette with One-Up 45+18 cassette mod
    • Gamaruk Melon 30T
    • Race Face Next SL

Works flawlessly, although I might switch to Melon 32 given the advantage of the Melon in traction/standing up and the incredible efficiency of the Mojo HD3.

You basically need all of the above, minus the new cranks and One-Up. If you use the old triple cranks all you will need is a set of chain ring spacers to center the ring (it will take the place of your current middle ring). They cost dimes. Alternative is to sell the triple and buy a Race Face Cinch Turbine ... it is around 200 .... The One-up is nice to have, it adds a bit of range but it is expensive. 1142 XT is also fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the reply Davide. So after doing some research regarding chain line etc, it seems like the chain line spacers are ideal like you suggested. But also, would you recommend to use some race face chainring tab shims? These would be needed if the original chainring bolts are too long, and i'm not sure whether mine are - not too expensive so i guess it wouldn't hurt to get them.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    After more research it turns out my crank BCD are 96, not 104. So now, i either get a 96 BCD single chainring or find a new crank...

I think getting a new crank is the better option, have any recommendations?

Thanks

Ride Everything
    If you can live with a 1x10, the SunRace 11-42 cassette and one of the popular NW rings would be pretty inexpensive.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam. View Post
    After more research it turns out my crank BCD are 96, not 104. So now, i either get a 96 BCD single chainring or find a new crank...

I think getting a new crank is the better option, have any recommendations?

Thanks
    Blackspire makes a 96BCD narrow wide chain ring. I have the Shimano XT M-782 cranks with the 96BCD and the Blackspire ring works great. Will be a cheaper option than buying new cranks.

Blackspire - SNAGGLETOOTH 96BCD Chainrings | Blackspire

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Yeah, using a 96BCD chain ring by blackspire and keeping my current crank seems to be the way to go.

Did you have to buy new shorter bolts to attach the single chain ring?
    Or are you using tab shims with the original chainring bolts (the ones which came with the cranks)

I'm just confused on what length bolts to use - use current bolts + tab shims, or use shorter bolts and no tab shims? I'm assuming either option would work fine?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    If you can live with a 1x10, the SunRace 11-42 cassette and one of the popular NW rings would be pretty inexpensive.
    That is a very good point. Why go to 11 speed? 10 is plenty and you can keep your derailleur and shifter. You can also look at cassette extenders. One-Up and Gamaruk to name a few.

It is a very good idea to get a new cage for the derailleur to make it handle the extended range Shimano RD Cage - Shimano RD Cage - Derailleur cages; add a cassette extender Xtenders for Shimano - Casette Xtenders and around $100 you are set.

I used 10 speed 1142 using One-up for a couple years before my bike got stolen and (the insurance) bought a new one with 11 speed, no big difference if any there.
    Last edited by Davide; 11-14-2015 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    I would just go XT 11sp. It'll work better than any of the cobbled 10sp setups with aftermarket cages. After all said and done...you're not going to save that much by going 1x 10sp. The performance of a 11sp specific setup will be worth the extra cost. Reusing your crank will save you some cash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New 1x11 Setup - Need your help!

I was tossing up between XT 11s vs 10s for my new bike which came with 2X10. Because I already had a new chain, XT RD and shifters I went with the Absolute Black oval 32t, SunRace 11-42 & goatlink at less than half the cost of equivalent XT 11s.

But if I'd had an older bike that needed new chain, cables and clutch RD then I would've gone straight to 11s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the suggestion, i didn't realise there were so many options for a 1x setup

I've gone through a couple forums and discovered some people are finding a 1x10 using an 11-36 cassette (same one I have) is also a good option. Considering i'm almost definitely going to go 1x, I might as well purchase the Chainring (Blackspire NW 32T - 96BCD) and use my current cassette and cranks.

After a couple rides using this setup I should be able to determine what i need in regards to cassette gearing options.

Sounds good? Only problem now is that my RD isn't clutch.
    Also (not sure how to put it...) but the spider on the cranks are on a curve (if that makes any sense?)
    To make things clearer, search the cranks on google images and you'll hopefully understand what i'm saying

Cranks: Shimano FC-M622, 2-Piece Design

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    According to the OneUp compatibility page regarding the 42T expander, my cassette (Deore CS-HG62-10) isn't compatible.

The cassette is incompatible with every other cassette expander as well - the lower third cogs are attached to one another. Therefore the 17T cog can not be removed to cater for the added 42T

Might as well get the 11speed XT cassette considering I need to replace my current one. Might check out the sunrace 10sp 11 - 42 if its any cheaper.

The struggle is real....

Thanks

Update:
    Turns out that it is roughly $44 more expensive to purchase an XT cassette, RD, shifters, chain, BlackSpire chainring and shims... compared to that if i were to buy a 10sp cassette, 42T expander, XT RD, BlackSpire chainring and shims.

Is it worth the extra $44?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is it worth the extra $44?
    Yes - shifting will be better, gear ratios will be better (basically your 11-36 plus a bail-out 42) and bike resale $ will be better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I could still use a 1x10 11-42 cassette and just simply replace the RD with a clutch XT one and continue to use the BlackSpire chainring and current cranks. But its appearing difficult to find such cassettes online in Australia - Wiggle nor chainreaction stock them.

Can any fellow aussies direct me in the right place?

Thanks

NedwannaB
    I could still use a 1x10 11-42 cassette and just simply replace the RD with a clutch XT one and continue to use the BlackSpire chainring and current cranks. But its appearing difficult to find such cassettes online in Australia - Wiggle nor chainreaction stock them.

Can any fellow aussies direct me in the right place?

Thanks
    You might get lucky finding a Praxis 11-42 cassette but then your 10 spd package budget would be more then the 11 spd.

With all the research you've done and received not sure why you don't just order the compatible XT 11spd setup.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I rode my 11spd 11-42 setup for the first time today and it works much better than when I had a WT 42 with a 10spd setup. Its a bit noisy in the larger cogs but the chainline isn't the greatest in the 2 largest cogs with a XO crank and chain ring.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    According to the OneUp compatibility page regarding the 42T expander, my cassette (Deore CS-HG62-10) isn't compatible.
    Well that's not strictly true! As you have to remove the 15t & 17t cogs and replace them with a 16t cog. The deore cassette is difficult to do this with, as the cassette is pinned together. however you can punch out the pins and swap the the cogs over and re-pin it. The pins will require shortening, but it runs fine. I've done it on a slx cassette which again is not recommended. But if you are handy with some tools it's an easy mod. But you have to ask yourself is it worth the trouble?

I did it as I was trying to reduce my outlay as I was piecing a bike together as my one and only bike was stolen and I was waiting for the insurance payout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions. I might leave that to the bike shop though - can't trust myslef I'll do to right. I also don't a have the required tools to remove the cassette (Chain whip etc...) I think its best if i talk with the local bike mechanic on what he thinks is the most viable/best option.

Thanks