mtbr member
    Oct 2015

New question here. New to the 1X10 game

Can't get the gears to index properly.

Set up:
    32T raceface NW up front (new)
    11-36 shimano XT cassette (new)
    XT Deore 10 spd shifter (new)
    reusing old Deore XT long cage RD (2007 or so)

Problem is it skips over gears both on way up and down. I was a bike mechanic in a past life so I know principles of indexing. Is there a compatibility issue with the new shifter and old RD?

since 4/10/2009
    Sure that XT derailleur is a 10spd? If it's an old 9spd, it definitely won't be compatible with a 10spd shifter. Cable pull was changed between 9 and 10spd Shimano drivetrain components. If it doesn't say Dyna-sys on it somewhere, you'll have to get a 10spd derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ok Harold that was my guess - it is an old 9 speed but wasn't sure if the compatibility was built into the shifter. So much for my cheap conversion! Next question...Zee or XT - short or long cage - possibility of me going with a 42 Wolf Giant Cog in back. Thanks.

mtbr member
    A bit of light reading before going to bed. It's a good reference for mix & match drivetrain stuff. Of the stuff you listed, I'd go XT if I wanted accurate repeatable long term lightweight quality for XC type trails (which is what I'd personally require). I'd go saint if I planned on making my bike fly, both with and without me on it.

Art's Cyclery Blog Science Behind the Magic | Drivetrain Compatibility
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If you want to run the 11-36 cassette by itself, get a medium cage 10 speed derailleur. If you want to run the 42t expander, get a medium cage 11 speed derailleur. The 11 speed derailleur will work with your 10 speed shifter, and will handle the 42t cog way better than a 10 speed derailleur. You want a clutched derailleur either way, easy in 11 speed because they all are. And don't trust everything in that Art's Cyclery Blog entry, some of their numbers are a bit off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Over That??? View Post
    Ok Harold that was my guess - it is an old 9 speed but wasn't sure if the compatibility was built into the shifter. So much for my cheap conversion! Next question...Zee or XT - short or long cage - possibility of me going with a 42 Wolf Giant Cog in back. Thanks.
    At this point you have an 11-36 1cassette, so all you can do is to get a medium cage 10 speed derailleur and if you want to expand the range use One-Up 42 + 16 OneUp Components US - 42T Sprocket + 16T [ 1x10 ] You will not necessarily need a cage to improve the performance of the derailleur but here it is just in case OneUp Components US - RAD Cage

Otherwise, sell everything you got. Buy a XT 1140, a 11 speed derailleur a shifter and the One Up 45 cog: bingo 1145 working flowlessly at your fingertips. (That is my set up 1145 with XTR shifter and XT derailleur).