mtbr member
    Nov 2015

need help please

hello people I'm new to this site so don't know where to write this post to but been having problems with my hard rock sport 29er 2012 model in matte black. mostly in slow gears I put pressure on the chain and it skips or jumps a bit then comes back on if that makes sense. also I change gear and itb skips a gear any ideas please???not looking to spend a great deal on this bike as I use it to ride to work?????

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like a worn chain and or chainrings/cassette. How many miles are on it? Do you have a chain wear gauge or a ruler?

mtbr member
    agree. check out the chain for stretching. If it's an 8-speed chain, they're only like $15 off amazon. If you've got a lot of miles, no reason not to replace it.

If it's skipping gears when you change gears, most likely from a stretched chain, but other possibilities. It could use a little derailure adjustment (adjustment screw that changes tension of the cable), maybe check the cable housing and cables to make sure they're smooth and clean. For derailure adjustment, check out performance bike's youtube channel and search for "derailure setup". youtube has videos for just about everything bike related.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Members who have read this thread: 0