mtbr member
    Nov 2015

more grip than black ops pedals?

Hi,

My current bike came with used "black ops" platforms. The bike didn't come with pedals and the shop threw in these since it is was take offs from other customer. I found from chainreaction web site that it is almost if not identical to the

Wellgo V8 Copy Flat Pedals

down to the philps head screw on pins. I was wondering if there are pedals that have more grip than these? Coming from generic pedals (no pins) they work better but, I still slip off of them when I am squirming to not fall off bike on climbs. Are paying a bit more will only get marginal more grip or is it night and day? Like the V8 are under 20... so is paying ~40 like double the grip if you will...

Just to give more info, I believe the pins look OK not rounded or anything.

I just want to set my own expectations as well as learning how these things work.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooslow View Post
    Hi,

My current bike came with used "black ops" platforms. The bike didn't come with pedals and the shop threw in these since it is was take offs from other customer. I found from chainreaction web site that it is almost if not identical to the

Wellgo V8 Copy Flat Pedals

down to the philps head screw on pins. I was wondering if there are pedals that have more grip than these? Coming from generic pedals (no pins) they work better but, I still slip off of them when I am squirming to not fall off bike on climbs. Are paying a bit more will only get marginal more grip or is it night and day? Like the V8 are under 20... so is paying ~40 like double the grip if you will...

Just to give more info, I believe the pins look OK not rounded or anything.

I just want to set my own expectations as well as learning how these things work.

Thanks
    What type of shoes are you using? I found that going for something with really grippy soles (5-10 freeriders for example) were much more helpful then switching pedals. I doubt you will find double the grip between a 20 buck pedal to a 40 buck pedal.

mtbr member
    New shoes. Bike specific platform shoes. check out Five ten or Teva bike shoes with a google search and look at the tread pattern. Harder plastic with a really grippy design. don't want really hard soled shoes, has to be just right or they'll slide off. Too soft, and it'll tear up the shoes. Regular running shoes just don't work.

I assume these are pedals?
    Amazon.com : PEDALS BK-OPS B155 9/16 BLK : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors

If so, the pedals are ok, and upgrading to better pedals will only get you lighter weight, better bearings, maybe stronger. grip will be the same.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    @watt... that's the brand but the pedal looks identical to the V8 from chainreaction site. I am sure some one is the OEM and others just re brand.

I am wearing my regular low top hiking shoes with vibram sole. I don't own bike specific platforms shoes; ones mentioned aren't cheap LOL...

Thank you all for your insight on grip... at least I now know where the $ should be spent...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    BTW, are you allow to wear these shoes as regular shoes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooslow View Post
    BTW, are you allow to wear these shoes as regular shoes?
    I wear my five tens as regular shoes sometimes.

mtbr member
    yea, vibram boot soles are definitely not for mountain biking. With those boots, you'd actually be better off going back to $9 beartrap pedals. The shoes we listed are just examples. Lots of other bike shoes out there. Look around at what's onsale online. I'm sure you'll find something under $30 this time of year. Hardest part is actually finding shoe sizes that fit.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I run the Wellgo MG-5. Super light and grip real well. Only 40 bucks.

since 4/10/2009
    Most Vibram soles (especially those on hiking boots/shoes) are going to be an excessively hard rubber to grip platform pedals especially well. I think I've seen some platform pedal shoes that use a type of Vibram sole, so maybe they have a formula for flats now. Vibram is just a brand name with many models, fwiw.

You might find some incremental improvements in grip from a pedal with a larger surface area, more pins, or pins with a different shape. But honestly, you'll see the largest gains in grip from using shoes made for the purpose, and any incremental improvements from the pedals won't be fully realized unless you're using shoes designed for the purpose, also.

Plus, it sounds like you may benefit from improving you pedaling technique. There are a number of youtube videos illustrating pedaling technique with platform pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just to report back. Yes, I definitely need to improve on ALL my techniques LOL. As it turns out, amazon has a 25% off on shoes... and the 5 10 shoes qualify. I ended up with a pair of freeriders ~$60. I hope that is a good price.

It came today and just rode it around the block... they are indeed as sticky as everyone said. I was able to get the rear up quarter inch whereas before, the rear is solidly planted on the ground. I did get a pair of fire eye hot candy plastic pedals as insurance... but those probably won't show till end of JAN next year. It has been hot and rainy for the past few days now so I can't really try it out but I sure will at first opportunity.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.