MicroShift's new $125 Advent drivetrain- Mtbr.com
    Fart smeller

MicroShift's new $125 Advent drivetrain

Has this already been posted?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rivetrain.html

SRAM and Shimano currently rule the drivetrain world, but we're starting to see more and more viable options from other manufacturers hit the market. Taiwanese brand, MicroSHIFT, have entered into the ring with their Advent 9-speed derailleur, shifter, and cassette combo. In the past, MicroSHIFT has been more focused on making OEM spec components. Creating specific products to cater to the exact needs of a brand is a good niche to be in and while it may not be the most glamorous, it seems to have done pretty well for them.

MicroSHIFT's Advent drivetrain marks the first time the brand has truly approached a product from the development standpoint. Advent was developed to be functional, durable, and inexpensive. According to the team at MicroSHIFT, the goal with Advent was to give consumers an option that worked well enough you don't think about it while riding while still being pricepoint conscious.

Advent Details
    9-speed
    11-42t cassette
    11-13-15-18-21-24-28-34-42
    Clutch rear derailleur - medium cage
    Trigger style shifter
    Weight: Derailleur - 379g, Cassette - 450g, Shifter - 114g
    MSRP: Derailleur: $59.99, Cassette: $39.99, Shifter: $24.99 USD
    www.microshift.com

The Advent derailleur, shifter, and 9-speed, 11-42 tooth cassette all together will run you about $125 USD.

Whaddya think?

mtbr member
    You can get 11sp SLX cheaper than that.

mtbr member
    I added a set of these onto the next shop order. I have no idea what bike I will put it on, but want to try it out

Out spokin'
    Five or six years ago I'da been all over that shit.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Not knowing quality of parts or shifting experience but add Campy Record 9S chain and you've got excellent long-lasting driveline which is easy to lubricate.

This opinion is based to my decent experiences from SRAM X9 1x9 custom setup using 10s RD with clutch, later Shimano ZEE with custom short cage, and 11-40 cassette built using 40t sprocket for 10s and two SRAM 9s cassettes.

Had two hops in range but very reliable and long service time compared to current Shimano 1x11 system.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

since 4/10/2009
    I think the biggest deal about this is that 9spd rear derailleur that's optimized for a wider range cassette and that it has a clutch. This should be great for people with existing clapped out 9spd drivetrains that only want a couple of the parts from this system (particularly that clutched rear derailleur).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    will be trying this out on a ebike build where you don't need a bunch of gears but range and a clutch are desired. you can get it for under 125 delivered online

mtbr member
    Nothing I read confirmed if the RD would work with either Shimano or SRAM shifters, that's what I'm most excited about for this is if works with Shimano. Only reason I moved to 10spd was to get a damn clutch RD.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I think the biggest deal about this is that 9spd rear derailleur that's optimized for a wider range cassette and that it has a clutch. This should be great for people with existing clapped out 9spd drivetrains that only want a couple of the parts from this system (particularly that clutched rear derailleur).
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    It says in multiple places (pinkbike comments, Microsoft product page) that Advent does have its own pull ratio and is advent specific.
    Can't wait to test it on other shifters though or the other way around

mtbr member
    As does the literature on Shimano 11spd say it has a different pull ratio to the older 10spd stuff and is not compatible, yet, I am running a 10spd shifter with 11spd RD and it works just fine, so are lots of people. Actual pull ratio is different, but not by much and so it works, hoping it's the same with this.

BTW, you did get I was looking at Shimano to pair with the MicroShift right, not trying to do some funky Windows linked to the RD to get it to work, so MicroSoft has nothing to do with this discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    It says in multiple places (pinkbike comments, Microsoft product page) that Advent does have its own pull ratio and is advent specific.
    Can't wait to test it on other shifters though or the other way around
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Nothing I read confirmed if the RD would work with either Shimano or SRAM shifters, that's what I'm most excited about for this is if works with Shimano. Only reason I moved to 10spd was to get a damn clutch RD.
    Even still, the whole group is cheap enough that is it a problem to buy the Advent shifter?

mtbr member
    BTW, you did get I was looking at Shimano to pair with the MicroShift right, not trying to do some funky Windows linked to the RD to get it to work, so MicroSoft has nothing to do with this discussion
    And that is why I shouldn't use the forums while on my cell phone!! Stupid autocorrect.

Yeah, I'm tempted (and will) try it as well. I was simply stating what's been posted, and it is new. Between the two shops, I have both sides of the spectrum covered; the 'cover your ass no it isn't compatible legal bs' side, and the non-profit "try it, lets figure out if it works or not" side as well
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Even still, the whole group is cheap enough that is it a problem to buy the Advent shifter?
    yeah the only reason I could see even wanting to mix and match would be to get the push-push functionality of a sram or shimano shifter..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_0427.jpg

Got this in the mail today. I paid a few cents under $115 shipped from a US seller, delivered in 3 business days. Weight totals 954 grams for the 3 pieces. That's over 2 pounds of drivetrain. The RD feels like it's made of solid steel. Overall everything looks and feels very "budget", but not terrible. The philips screws in the RD really give away the cheapness of the drivetrain, I think if those were replaced with some hex bolts it would look a lot nicer, but I'm sure the few pennies saved are important for hitting the price point they wanted.

The price and weight put it slightly below Deore M6000 which I could find for $137 new in box from US sellers on ebay, probably possible to get it cheaper if you look hard or are willing to wait for shipping from China. The M6000 RD is 50 grams lighters and the 11-42 cassette is 20 grams lighter than the corresponding Advent part. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the chain but the shifter and derailleur action feel totally fine in my hands.

Shifter with cable - $22.99 - 124g
    Derailleur - $56.34 - 380g
    Cassette (with aluminum 42 cog) - $34.99 - 445g

This will be going on an ebike where the weight is not a huge factor, though the durability of the cassette and other parts will definitely be put to the test! The big steps between the gears are actually a benefit on an ebike; I would prefer even fewer gears but the 8 speed Advent stuff is not available online. Compared to Sram EX1 with a $350 cassette, this Advent drive train feels like a good deal. We'll see how well it holds up.
    Last edited by frantik!; 03-15-2019 at 05:56 AM.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    You can get 11sp SLX cheaper than that.

Post the link where a brand-new 11-speed drivetrain is cheaper. The cheapest I've found is around $250; most of them are around $350.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Has this already been posted?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rivetrain.html

SRAM and Shimano currently rule the drivetrain world, but we're starting to see more and more viable options from other manufacturers hit the market. Taiwanese brand, MicroSHIFT, have entered into the ring with their Advent 9-speed derailleur, shifter, and cassette combo. In the past, MicroSHIFT has been more focused on making OEM spec components. Creating specific products to cater to the exact needs of a brand is a good niche to be in and while it may not be the most glamorous, it seems to have done pretty well for them.

MicroSHIFT's Advent drivetrain marks the first time the brand has truly approached a product from the development standpoint. Advent was developed to be functional, durable, and inexpensive. According to the team at MicroSHIFT, the goal with Advent was to give consumers an option that worked well enough you don't think about it while riding while still being pricepoint conscious.

Advent Details
    9-speed
    11-42t cassette
    11-13-15-18-21-24-28-34-42
    Clutch rear derailleur - medium cage
    Trigger style shifter
    Weight: Derailleur - 379g, Cassette - 450g, Shifter - 114g
    MSRP: Derailleur: $59.99, Cassette: $39.99, Shifter: $24.99 USD
    www.microshift.com

The Advent derailleur, shifter, and 9-speed, 11-42 tooth cassette all together will run you about $125 USD.

Whaddya think?

If it was the whole drivetrain including the chain and 1x crankset, it would be a steal. But you can do an entire Shimano 9-speed 1x 'groupset' including everything for under $200:

KMC X9.93 9-Speed Chain $11 0.6 lbs (Shimano chain around $25)

Shimano Alivio BB52 Bottom Bracket SM-BB52 - ESMBB52B $16 0.29 lbs

Shimano Alivio 9-Speed MB Crankset 22/36 FC-M4050-B2 $76 2.06 lbs (maybe 1.8 lbs with one chainring)

Shimano 9-speed shifter SL-M590 $30 0.32 lbs

Shimano Alivio 9-Speed MB Rear Derailleur RD-M4000 - ERDM4000SGS $26 0.52 lbs (Deore is on sale for $40; XT is $78)

Sunrace 9-speed 11-40t cassette $35 1.3 lbs

$194.00 total 5.09 lbs total with 2x, around 4.85 lbs with 1x

If you just compared the Shimano shifter, RD and cassette to the Advent, it would be $91 vs. $125. Does the Advent RD have a clutch? Supposedly the XT doesn't and it's more expensive, but in the greater scheme of things both are dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Does the Advent RD have a clutch?
    yes, and it was designed for 11-42 gearing out of the box. the big advantage is the clutch though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    This will be going on an ebike where the weight is not a huge factor, though the durability of the cassette and other parts will definitely be put to the test! The big steps between the gears are actually a benefit on an ebike; I would prefer even fewer gears but the 8 speed Advent stuff is not available online. Compared to Sram EX1 with a $350 cassette, this Advent drive train feels like a good deal. We'll see how well it holds up.
    I don't really get why an ebike would be more stressful on a drivtrain.
    Maybe on climbing?
    If I had one I would put cheap steel cassettes on it and call it a day.

Anyway, let us know how good the Advent drivetrain works.
    ZTTO makes cheap 11-46 and 11-50 9spd steel cassettes.
    Pretty sure the advent drivetrain can take more than just the 42t.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    i let my buddy try out the first incarnation of my ebike and he folded the chainring in about five minutes. there's more torque and higher rpms than a human can provide

it would be interesting to see how much wider gearing the advent could take, especially with a derailleur extender. but this will probably be enough range for me

XC iconoclast
    yes, and it was designed for 11-42 gearing out of the box. the big advantage is the clutch though

Finch and frantik, thank you soooo much for this information. This will be my next RD I try. I was originally going to get the Deore or XT but if this has a clutch it will be my first lol. My 2x9 has so much loose chain that I actually broke it just to make sure it measured big + big + 2 links and it did, surprisingly. The chain comes off more than normal, it just doesn't look right even if it is 'theoretically' the right length.

I don't think I will bother with the rest of the stuff like the cassette tho because I already have an 11-40t Sunrace one.

However, I'm still confused about how they label short, medium, and long cage RD's, along with chain wrap vs. biggest cog. I think THEY are confused, as in they are providing the wrong information.

For example, the Advent cage for the 11-42t cassette says medium. Really? There are Shimano long cages that are for max 11-36t. What gives? Someone is wrong. Is there no standard convention for short, medium, long cage definitions? What's the point of even looking at the cage description if you just need to see what cassette it fits? Seems like the cage description just confuses things much more than it helps.

Then the Advent says chainwrap capacity is 41, but the largest cog it can fit is 42. Uh...no. Are they saying it's just for 1x? Will a 2x setup need an extender if the chainwrap capacity is that low? Or is that a misprint?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    For example, the Advent cage for the 11-42t cassette says medium. Really? There are Shimano long cages that are for max 11-36t.

Then the Advent says chainwrap capacity is 41, but the largest cog it can fit is 42. Uh...no. Are they saying it's just for 1x? Will a 2x setup need an extender if the chainwrap capacity is that low? Or is that a misprint?
    It's a pretty common misconception, cage length has nothing to do with the largest cog the RD can clear. (Okay it sort of does, after you start exceeding the capacity because of the super wide range cassette)
    Cage length determines the overall capacity. There is the ZEE for example, it has a tiny cage, and the freeride version can clear an 11-36. But because of the tiny cage the total capacity is only 25T.

41 for chain wrap capacity is not that low. 42-11=31, meaning you can run an 11-42 and a crankset with a 10 teeth difference, pretty standard setup nowadays. They say the medium is for 1x only, maybe the pulley is more offset compared to the 2x version, not sure. The 2x version has a much bigger capacity.
    Random example, the M7000 11spd GS RD has a total capacity of 41T, and the 3x10 SGS version has a total capacity of 43T.
    This is also a good example for cage length. The 3x10 version has a longer cage, but it can only clear a 36T cog at the back, the GS 11spd version has a shorter cage but it can even clear a 46T cog. Why? The 11spd version has an offset upper pulley (and probably some other design changes).

Also, an extender like a Goatlink or Roadlink doesn't increase the capacity, just the largest cog the derailleur can clear.

I don't think there is a standard convention for cage length. For example on one of my bikes I have a SRAM Rival 1 RD which comes in small, medium, and long. I have the long, and it's much much shorter than a Shimano long cage. The manufacturer somehow still needs to distinguish the different cage lengths, so it's still labeled long.

mtbr member
    Love when the know it alls, really don't know squat and miss the entire point of the thing, in this case a 9spd RD designed for a wide range cassette with 42t big cog and clutch, clutch bieng the biggest thing for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Post the link where a brand-new 11-speed drivetrain is cheaper. The cheapest I've found is around $250; most of them are around $350.
    I'm on phone, so no links. You can find slx and other 11 speed groupsets on bike-discoun.de
    Also can find them cheap on Jenson if you want to buy single components.
    Unless you meant groupset to include cranks and brakes...

You can even get a 12 speed Sunrace groupset for $175. So I really don't see the point of this 9 speed groupset.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    I'm on phone, so no links. You can find slx and other 11 speed groupsets on bike-discoun.de

You can even get a 12 speed Sunrace groupset for $175. So I really don't see the point of this 9 speed groupset.
    Found the same as you with minimal effort...if someone pays 350 for low end 1x11, clearly they aren't trying.

For reference, I bought an entire gx eagle DUB groupset including the crankset for 357 to my door...and that was from an American company and its got a warranty.

If you half assed shop around, your gonna get bad deals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

This will be much cheaper as an OEM drivetrain. I can see tons of low-end shop bikes running this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    This will be much cheaper as an OEM drivetrain. I can see tons of low-end shop bikes running this.
    So will the SLX et al. The prices we reference are end consumer prices. Manufacturers if course pay less.... for either brand
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So will the SLX et al. The prices we reference are end consumer prices. Manufacturers if course pay less.... for either brand
    The heavily discounted SLX prices (or any Shimano Gruppo, for that matter) online are typically OEM prices with a very slim margin.

The $125 MicroShift price is MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are they saying it's just for 1x?
    if you go to their website the tagline for Advent is "Wallet Friendly 1x" but they do offer a 2x9 "long cage" RD with more chain wrap

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I received my microshift cassette today, but it came with a mfr defect that squeaked through QA. It has a missing pin (one of the ones closest to the freehub). Stuff happens. Might run it as-is. I'll contact the seller and Microshift to see what they say about longevity in this configuration (I've run cassettes without pins in the past - so... *shrug*). I wasn't planning on running the cassette more than a year or two but this is a bummer.

Next week I'll be receiving a new derailleur.

I'm converting from 2x9 to 1x9 on a pretty extreme budget. I picked up the n/w 30t for $20 on close-out, cassette for ~$30, derailleur for $50, and using my existing 9 speed shifter. All-in ~$100. Doubt it'll work - but it'll be a fun experiment. I'll be swapping the derailleur to confirm my pull ratio suspicions and confirm it works on a shimano cassette (hg80 11-34t) before throwing on the microshift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I received my microshift cassette today, but it came with a mfr defect that squeaked through QA. It has a missing pin (one of the ones closest to the freehub). Stuff happens. Might run it as-is. I'll contact the seller and Microshift to see what they say about longevity in this configuration (I've run cassettes without pins in the past - so... *shrug*). I wasn't planning on running the cassette more than a year or two but this is a bummer.
    Mine has only two pins.. the pins are only to hold the cassette together, you don't need them at all

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got mine installed.. it's pretty simple, no issues at all with the set up. Watch this video for instructions and info on how long to make the chain, etc.

Before installation I recommend removing the jockey wheels and adding a little grease or polylube to the bushings. They're totally dry which is fine but adding a little grease will make them roll longer with less friction.

Haven't ridden it but it works fine on the stand. Doesn't feel too cheap, just works. The styling also makes it kind of "disappear" on the bike.. it's not flashy in any way and doesn't call attention to itself. For $115 it's a pretty good value, though for not much more money you can get an S brand drivetrain with more gears and less weight. I think for ebikes it's pretty cool (fewer steps, more durable chain, weight less of a factor), or for a super budget build where saving a few bucks is more important than a few grams.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O. View Post
    I received my microshift cassette today, but it came with a mfr defect that squeaked through QA. It has a missing pin (one of the ones closest to the freehub).
    I've seen multiple Shimano and SRAM cassettes where there were 3 holes but just 2 pins from the factory... No idea why.
    Hell, i've seen Shimano freehub bodies with space for 3 pawls but they only had 2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well. Fudge it. The derailleur just arrived (3 days early - thanks JensonUSA). I'm impatient sometimes. I'll be installing things this afternoon. I don't expect things to work out due to my oddball selection of parts, but I should have a report of the results this evening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The heavily discounted SLX prices (or any Shimano Gruppo, for that matter) online are typically OEM prices with a very slim margin.

The $125 MicroShift price is MSRP.

So you say if i buy a single SLX RD from Jenson for $49 that Giant who buy a million of those, also pay $49? Are you an industry insider and have read the purchase order agreement Giant and Trek have with Shimano, or are you just making this up?

I understand we may possibly pay less than MSRP (unless they pull a SRAM), but a manufacturer (or anyone else buying hundreds or thousands of those) still pays less than us mere mortals.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Interesting that you bring up the SLX RD... My preliminary results are in.

My combo:
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 3x - converted to single chainring (came with bike)
    Chainring: e*thirteen n/w 30t ($22 at backcountry at the moment)
    Cassette: Microshift Advent 11-42t with alloy 42t ($33 shipped - ebay)
    Shifter: Sram X.9 9-speed (came with bike)
    Derailleur: Shimano SLX RD-M7000-GS 11 speed ($49)

Yeah. 9 speed cassette, 9 speed shifter, 11 speed derailleur.

How? The Sram 1:1 actuation shifters had a cable pull of 1.1mm. So does the Shimano 11 speed mountain stuff.

Why? I wanted to spend as little as possible. I'm all in $104. I don't need a derailleur extension. I don't need to max out or replace the b-screw. The derailleur is operating within it's min/max tooth parameters. I get a clutch. If I want to switch to 11 speed in the future I just need a chain, cassette and shifter. 9 speed chains are cheap and strong. My original derailleur was on it's last legs (hence not trying a derailleur extension). I could have bought the whole advent line-up, but if I decide to go 11 speed in the future I'd have to replace everything.

Does it work? It's promising. It works on the stand and going through the gears on a flat street (tried up/down about 2 dozen times while messing with the fine-adjust). My first real ride should be Monday and should give a pretty good idea. I can't give my 100% recommendation on it yet.

Sorry for the sideways potato quality photo. Disregard the chain length and cable end. Still need to trim it and throw a crimp on it. I'll get a better photo on the first ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_7595-16-03-19-07-45.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow, talk about mix and match! That's a very interesting combination though it looks like you're using the most generic part of the Advent group

I posted earlier saying everything was working fine, though with more testing I did discover that shifting into the 42t cog across multiple gears would cause some jamming. Screwing in the B screw in helped stop this, though you end up with the gap between the cog and the derailleur being much larger than is recommended in the instructions. Shortening the chain will also help a little, but don't shorten it past two extra links.. it feels a little too tight with only one extra link added

mtbr member
    The new deore 11-42 cassette is $28 on bike-discount. Shimano 10s shifters can be had for as low as $20 new, either slx or zee depending on whos running a sale. SLX derailleurs are 50 bucks all day long from nearly anywhere.

I totally understand being on a budget, but Ive never found the quality of microshift stuff to come remotely close to shimano. I dont think any 9 speed cassette shifted all that smoothly. My 11s SLX shifts amazingly, better than my xt, x9, or even xtr 9 speed stuff. I cant imagine 9 speed microshift works as well as 9 speed xtr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The new deore 11-42 cassette is $28 on bike-discount.
    don't forget "27.90 $ freight charges", at least if you're in the US. But you can find Shimano Deore in the US for a very similar price, maybe about 20 bucks more than I could for Advent. Not a lot of money, but at this price point, 20 bucks is a significant percentage of the price.

So far it shifts fine on the stand once it's set up, we'll see on the road once I finish up this build. I've always been 100% happy with Shimano stuff up and down the range, this was more just an experiment cause it's new and I had a specific case where it could be beneficial. I'd probably go with at least SLX otherwise

Fart smeller
    Damn, I forgot all about this thread.

Thanks for the info and discussions, guys!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    What's nice/special about it is it's 9spd, there are no others offering a clutch 9spd RD. If you like the ergonomics of SRAM, you can run SRAM 9spd shifters with a Shimano 10spd RD, but I HATE SRAM ergonomics compared to Shimano, so no go for me. 9spd means more space between the cogs, so less chance of debris getting in there and causing issues like with 10, 11 and 12.

The new deore 11-42 cassette is $28 on bike-discount. Shimano 10s shifters can be had for as low as $20 new, either slx or zee depending on whos running a sale. SLX derailleurs are 50 bucks all day long from nearly anywhere.

I totally understand being on a budget, but Ive never found the quality of microshift stuff to come remotely close to shimano. I dont think any 9 speed cassette shifted all that smoothly. My 11s SLX shifts amazingly, better than my xt, x9, or even xtr 9 speed stuff. I cant imagine 9 speed microshift works as well as 9 speed xtr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What's nice/special about it is it's 9spd, there are no others offering a clutch 9spd RD. If you like the ergonomics of SRAM, you can run SRAM 9spd shifters with a Shimano 10spd RD, but I HATE SRAM ergonomics compared to Shimano, so no go for me. 9spd means more space between the cogs, so less chance of debris getting in there and causing issues like with 10, 11 and 12.
    On their website, there's even an 8 speed cassette and shifter which appears to use the same derailleur.. so you can even get clutch 8 speed if you really want. But I haven't seen that for sale online, I think you'll need to special order that. The 8 speed shifter looks even cheaper than the 9s one though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So you say if i buy a single SLX RD from Jenson for $49 that Giant who buy a million of those, also pay $49? Are you an industry insider and have read the purchase order agreement Giant and Trek have with Shimano, or are you just making this up?

I understand we may possibly pay less than MSRP (unless they pull a SRAM), but a manufacturer (or anyone else buying hundreds or thousands of those) still pays less than us mere mortals.
    I will be at the Taiwan Cycle Show in two weeks. I can easily confirm OEM prices there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Finally rode it.. worked fine. You press the level, it shifts. Just gotta make sure you get the b screw right when setting it up. Totally happy. If they made a lighter version of the derailler I'd be interested in this on other bikes

mtbr member
    If they made a lighter version of the derailler I'd be interested in this on other bikes
    Forget the few grams on the mech. :P
    A lighter cassette would be better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Forget the few grams on the mech. :P
    A lighter cassette would be better.
    compared with XT M8000, there's only 20 g difference on the cassette and 100g difference on the derailleur which is why I said that.. but really anywhere they could lose some weight for only a few more bucks would be cool

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Did my first ride on the MicroShift cassette yesterday (I'm running the mix/match sram/shimano shifter/derailleur combo). I rode about 12.5mi and climbed about 2100'.

My impressions are mixed but mostly positive at the moment. I tested my sram/shimano combo on a hg80 and it shifted like butter both directions. I have a new chain, chainring, and cassette with the microshift. The shifts are a bit more clunky than the shimano cassette (particularly as I go down gears - towards the direction with more teeth). Going the opposite direction (towards the gears with lower teeth count) is very nice and crisp. I'm going to play with the micro-adjust before/during the next ride and see if I can dial it in a bit more or if it's just the nature of the cassette (yesterday's ride was a group ride - I was more distracted by banter than messing with the micro-adjust on the trail).

All that said, once in gear there were zero issues with popping out of gears or any other negative behavior. I went from a 22/36t with an 11-34t rear to a 30t front and 11-42t rear. My lowest gear is slightly longer than before. My rotational mass is within 100g total. The bike gained 300g-ish by adding a dropper post. I managed to crush a few PB's climbing a few local trails despite the longer gearing and weight penalty (significant gains - 5-11% faster on most climbs). I'm not really sure how (perhaps I have more pedaling efficiency in my suspension with a 30t front vs 22t). Oh well. I'm a happy camper.

I was worried that with a wide range 9 speed cassette there would be times I wish I had a slightly different gear available (since the jumps would be larger than an 11 speed 11-42t). No issues for me after riding though. I always seemed to have an acceptable gear available regardless of the slope.

I may throw this set-up on my DH bike for my trail wheels. I have to climb to drop locally and I prefer pedaling to pushing. It also has an 11-34t cassette - so 42t would be a welcome upgrade for the ultra-steeps. The bike I tested the combination of parts on may get an 11-50t or 11-46t for the 4-5000' climb days.

Enough rambling from me. I'll post an update after messing with the micro-adjust some more.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info for the thread, wondered if people would notice/mind the bigger cog spacings on such a wide range cassette.

As to how you managed PRs, even with the harder gear? Well, that's because if on a 29er, your easiest gear, 22-34 was 18.8 gear inches, going to the 30-42 combo gave you 20.7 gear inches, almost 2 gear inches taller and you then you had no option than to MTFU and pedal what you had and not just fall into a too low/easy gear.

Did my first ride on the MicroShift cassette yesterday (I'm running the mix/match sram/shimano shifter/derailleur combo). I rode about 12.5mi and climbed about 2100'...............................All that said, once in gear there were zero issues with popping out of gears or any other negative behavior. I went from a 22/36t with an 11-34t rear to a 30t front and 11-42t rear. My lowest gear is slightly longer than before. My rotational mass is within 100g total. The bike gained 300g-ish by adding a dropper post. I managed to crush a few PB's climbing a few local trails despite the longer gearing and weight penalty (significant gains - 5-11% faster on most climbs). I'm not really sure how (perhaps I have more pedaling efficiency in my suspension with a 30t front vs 22t). Oh well. I'm a happy camper.

I was worried that with a wide range 9 speed cassette there would be times I wish I had a slightly different gear available (since the jumps would be larger than an 11 speed 11-42t). No issues for me after riding though. I always seemed to have an acceptable gear available regardless of the slope.............Enough rambling from me. I'll post an update after messing with the micro-adjust some more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The bike I'm riding with the microshift is a 2009 Canfield The One 26er - so my gear inches are more like going from 17->19 I think? What's interesting is that my heart rate was about the same and my perceived effort seemed lower despite the more difficult gear. That's what leaves me scratching my head and wonder if it has more to do with the suspension's efficiency with the chainring change (since it could potentially impact things like anti-squat). Either way, I'm not complaining. Taking over 1min off a 15min climb is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I noticed the other day that shifts are consistent but kinda slow, like it takes more pedal strokes to shift. I doubt I would notice during regular riding but using my ebike doing an acceleration test you go through the gears fast. On my old drive train (shimano 7 speed) it would shift almost as soon as you pressed the lever which was cool cause you could hit the throttle again right away. this is like a half second longer. might just be due to the cassette. I'm interested to try a sunrace 11-40 cassette when this one needs a replacement

Edit: So i fine tuned the RD set up and it's better, I think some of the "slow" feeling is cause the shifter doesn't complete its movement until you release the lever. but I was getting fast shifts using the motor on the stand within one half pedal crank or just using the momentum of the drivetrain after quickly releasing the throttle (the pimp ebike way lol)
    Last edited by frantik!; 03-23-2019 at 07:20 AM.

XC iconoclast
    Maybe on climbing?
    If I had one I would put cheap steel cassettes on it and call it a day.

Most e-bikes have a 9-speed drivetrain possibly because the chain is thicker than 11-speed, and guys in that forum say they can often break a chain at will if they want to in a certain gear and wattage (during climbing). I have a lowly front hub drive so I don't have that problem. But it's still fun as hell to climb on one, hub drive or mid-drive.

XC iconoclast

I'm hoping this microshift 9-speed clutch RD stops my chain from dropping, because it's dropping more and more often going down sharp switchbacks. And dropping early, like 20 seconds into the ride, which really sucks, like I should just stop and walk back to the top. I tried to put it into a big/relatively big ring/cog to help prevent this but then pedaling is tough if needed. It rarely drops on relatively straight descents, only on sharp turns so I assume it's the chain swinging off in one direction after a hard bounce. It didn't used to bother me but it's starting to more. I'm slowly becoming one of those anal riders that I swore I never would become lol.

I'm sure this has been answered before but can a 10-speed rear derailleur be used with a combination 8/9 speed drivetrain (as in 8-speed everything else with a 9-speed crankset), and if so, should I change to a 9-speed chain?

As far as being on a budget, I have enough credit to buy any drivetrain I want, but...and this is going to sound very eccentric...I need to experience the progression of MTB drivetain for myself. As in not going immediately from 3x7 to 1x12. I need to see for myself what the improvements really were in-between those two extremes. Some people are not ready to go from a Pinto to a Porsche.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm hoping this microshift 9-speed clutch RD stops my chain from dropping, because it's dropping more and more often going down sharp switchbacks.

I'm sure this has been answered before but can a 10-speed rear derailleur be used with a combination 8/9 speed drivetrain (as in 8-speed everything else with a 9-speed crankset), and if so, should I change to a 9-speed chain?
    Clutch RDs are a godsend. Seriously. After you try one you won't be able to go back to a regular one.

There might be some weird mix and match combination that sort of works but Shimano changed the pull ratio on 10spd mountain stuff so a 10spd mountain RD will only work with 10spd mountain shifters. They also changed it again when going 11spd but the change was so minimal that people happily mix 10spd and 11spd RDs.
    You don't need to spend big money to get a really good drivetrain nowadays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yup. The SRAM 1:1 stuff (7-9 speed mountain) is also very close to the 10 speed shimano rear mech. I'm using a SRAM 9 speed shifter with 11 speed SLX M7000 rear mech and tested it on two cassettes. Works well for me.

I've done about 30 miles on the SRAM/Shimano/Microshift combo now. I've dialed in the micro adjustment and b-screw about as perfect as I think I can expect. Weather has been preventing me from getting any more time on the bike.

Shifting into lower gears is slower than I'm used to (closer ratio HG80 cassettes - not sure if it's a difference in ramps or because the jumps are much larger on the microshift). Going the opposite direction is very fast and direct. I still really like the ratios and price. I wish they made a lighter version. I think when I get more $ I'll go full 11-speed with this bike and throw the microshift cassette on my DH bike instead.

An odd side effect has been that my rear hub has gotten much louder and crisper sounding. I'm guessing the sound is resonating through the cassette more or something. No idea. I like it though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A quick tete a tete revealed MicroShift is aiming to take a big chunk out of the OEM market. They're not aiming for SLX, however, but for the lower tiered drivetrains, which may include Deore and the "non-series" line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A quick tete a tete revealed MicroShift is aiming to take a big chunk out of the OEM market. They're not aiming for SLX, however, but for the lower tiered drivetrains, which may include Deore and the "non-series" line.
    Hmm. I bet a lot of people would choose Deore over MicroShift just because of the more familiar brand name, Shimano. M6000 is a pretty damn good groupset tho, and pretty cheap to run. Although if you want to run a full groupset officially there is no 1x version even with the 11-42.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyBoni View Post
    Hmm. I bet a lot of people would choose Deore over MicroShift just because of the more familiar brand name, Shimano. M6000 is a pretty damn good groupset tho, and pretty cheap to run. Although if you want to run a full groupset officially there is no 1x version even with the 11-42.
    the OEM market isn't individuals choosing a drive train for their personal bike, it's companies choosing a drivetrain to put on a bike they are selling. I could see this drivetrain helping them hit a price point on the low end where people are more concerned about price and functionality than brand names

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    the OEM market isn't individuals choosing a drive train for their personal bike, it's companies choosing a drivetrain to put on a bike they are selling. I could see this drivetrain helping them hit a price point on the low end where people are more concerned about price and functionality than brand names
    I meant when looking at complete bikes, I bet a lot of people that don't have a lot of technical knowledge would still choose Shimano. Even on cheaper bikes, because it's Shimano and i've heard that Shimano stuff is supposed to be good or something?

XC iconoclast
    BTW someone on Amazon said the RD is only compatible with the Advent shifter. It's not expensive, only around $18 but that's kinda weird. I'll buy it later, need to grind my Alivio into the dust first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It probably has a different pull ratio than the other shifter(s) the Amazon reviewer tried. I agree that it's a bit odd that they changed their pull ratios within their own line-up of products for the same # of speeds though.

I rode my bike with the MS Cassette another 16.5 mi & ~2800' yesterday. Still pretty happy with it. It's making a bit of noise on the granny gear, but I'm due for a cleaning and lube so I'm relatively certain it's that (or my BB - which is definitely on it's final legs). I don't see any odd visual wear - but I'm only a bit over 50 miles on the cassette now so it's still pretty fresh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It probably has a different pull ratio than the other shifter(s) the Amazon reviewer tried. I agree that it's a bit odd that they changed their pull ratios within their own line-up of products for the same # of speeds though.
    Their other 9 speed derailleurs are the more traditional design where the cable bolts underneath the RD. I wouldn't be surprised if the pull ratio is close if not the same as shimano/sram 11 speed, but then the shifter is set up for 9 speed. Would be interesting to try swapping out the RD with a Deore or SLX one just to see what would happen. of course the ratio could be completely off, but i figure they would just rather copy something they know works, especially since they already make so much shimano compatible stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Their other 9 speed derailleurs are the more traditional design where the cable bolts underneath the RD.
    Shimano had/has 9spd Shadow derailleurs with the regular SIS pull ratio, so i'm not sure just because of a similar design the Sunrace would have a very similar pull ratio to 11spd stuff.
    And of course Shimano and other manufacturers also have 11spd road derailleurs with a very traditional cable entry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i'm not sure just because of a similar design the Sunrace would have a very similar pull ratio to 11spd stuff.
    I'm not sure either, but it'd be interesting to try and find out. I just can't imagine Microshift spending a lot of time developing their own pull ratio when they could just copy one that works

And of course Shimano and other manufacturers also have 11spd road derailleurs with a very traditional cable entry.
    true, though those have different pull ratio

XC iconoclast
    I'm not sure either, but it'd be interesting to try and find out. I just can't imagine Microshift spending a lot of time developing their own pull ratio when they could just copy one that works

true, though those have different pull ratio

Their products are really weird compared with Shimano. I went to their website, they have separate 1x and 2x 9-speed rear derailleurs. And then they have an 8-speed shifter and cassette but no 8-speed rear derailleur. If it's only Advent-specific why didn't they make an 8-speed RD? I asked them online, will see what the answer is soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Their products are really weird compared with Shimano. I went to their website, they have separate 1x and 2x 9-speed rear derailleurs. And then they have an 8-speed shifter and cassette but no 8-speed rear derailleur. If it's only Advent-specific why didn't they make an 8-speed RD? I asked them online, will see what the answer is soon.
    The 1x and 2x derailleurs are basically mid-cage and long cage.. the 1x is mid cage, the 2x is long cage because it needs to wrap more chain. And I assume you can use either the 1x or 2x RD with the 8 speed shifter and 8 speed cassette. The RD doesn't care about how many gears it has, it just moves according to the shifter

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think the RD expects an RD hanger at least 7mm wide. The bolt will stick out past the hanger if it is more narrow than 7mm, and also you will have a hard time getting the jockey pulley to line up on the outside of the smallest cog.

The RD hanger on my bike is only 6mm wide.. I noticed the RD bolt was sticking out past the hanger and once in a while I was getting slipping in the smallest gear. I removed the RD and added a 1mm crankset washer to the RD bolt, and then it was flush on the side facing the chain and the slipping was gone.

I've had to do a lil bit more tweaking on this drive train that I would expect but once it's dialed it, it does work fine. I still wonder about the proper chain length vs b-screw adjustment issue I experienced, but it's more academic at this point

mtbr member
    I just picked up the med. cage derailleur, cassette, and shifter for my 9yr old son's bike build (had a XS vintage 26er frameset that I've been holding onto for...9 yrs!). Was originally looking for another bike to part out, but was taking too long to find anything in decent condition that was reasonably priced, so I decided to get the MS group instead.

I'm still waiting on the cassette, but put on the rear derailleur and shifter, mated to an existing 9s shimano HG cassette and an 11s chain I had lying around.

I found installation to be as expected, although I don't like how angled the derailleur cable is where it comes out of the cable stop and gets pinched by the cable bolt. It's quite extreme IMO. As mentioned previously, I was also surprised at how heavy the rear derailleur was. I'm also not very impressed with the finish/feel of the shifter; definitely feels a bit cheap and the plastic seems very fragile.

One thing, I did have a lot of issues trying to get the shifting dialed in. I couldn't get the shifts very smooth at all. I figured it was either the chain or the HG cassette, so as a last attempt I salvaged a 9s chain off another old bike, and to my surprise the shifting is perfect now. I really didn't think the chain would matter, but in my case it seems to have been the issue and not the HG cassette. Hopefully the shifting will continue to work well when the cassette gets installed sometime next week.

XC iconoclast
    Clutch RDs are a godsend. Seriously. After you try one you won't be able to go back to a regular one.

There might be some weird mix and match combination that sort of works but Shimano changed the pull ratio on 10spd mountain stuff so a 10spd mountain RD will only work with 10spd mountain shifters. They also changed it again when going 11spd but the change was so minimal that people happily mix 10spd and 11spd RDs.
    You don't need to spend big money to get a really good drivetrain nowadays.

Sorry to bump this thread, or this post, or whatever, but I solved my chain falling off problem. Forgot to thread the chain around the metal bar just above the lower pulley. Many 8-speed RD's don't even have that metal bar and cage, because the pulley wheels are so close together. Forgetting to put the chain behind the bar shortened its length to the upper pulley = more chain slack = chain falls off more. And just for bad measure I took off one link to really tighten it up. Works very well now, even better than after the LBS tuneup that was not even worth it. Just can't shift big to big, but that's no issue, I'll use the big chainring only for top speed. So I guess I don't need a clutch derailleur. The chain did come off today but that really doesn't count: it was on a really horribly rutted DH trail with huge loose rocks all over the place. I'm sure some 1x chains have fallen off on that trail too. It's to the point that the particular trail is all but unrideable now, I'm gonna avoid it and go elsewhere for a while. I like rocks but not an avalanche of them lol.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Any updates on first-hand experiences with the Microshift 9-speed Advent drivetrain? Prices have already gone down a little under MSRP and I haven't seen any new reviews after the initial round in Feb and April. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just bought a Rockhopper Comp 1x and it came with Microshift Advent 9 speed drivetrain. I have only ridden it a few times but I did a number of test rides on bikes in the $700-$1000 range and to me the Microshift was easily the best shifting of the bunch. Its why I bought the Rockhopper vs the Trek Marlin or the Giant Talon. The thing just shifts smooth as butter. The reviews I have read on it all say the same thing. It works, its smooth and the clutch RD is awesome. I have even seen some long term reviews that say it shifts just like new after lots of rides and punishment. I'm wondering about if down the road there will be options to go to 1x12 if one desires for options on the gearing. I will ride a while and see how this thing climbs and it the gear range works well for me. Most people with 12 say that there are gears they don't need so maybe its not necessary at all.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Very tempted by the Advent.
    Running XT 1x10 11-42 (SunRace cassette) at the moment and wouldn't mind a little more rear cog spacing and the gaps between gears doesn't worry me (coming from single speeds).
    Currently using a Rad Cage and Goat Link to get the 36t XT mech to work with the 42t and it's 90% brilliant...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can anyone confirm if the spacing between cogs on the 42t cassette is the same as a regular 9 speed (eg shimano) ??
    The SeaMonkey has my money!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgenius View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the spacing between cogs on the 42t cassette is the same as a regular 9 speed (eg shimano) ??
    They say its compatible with all existing 9 speed chains and 9 speed compatible front sprockets. I would assume that means the spacing is at least similar if not the same. Email them for tech support, I asked a question that was promptly answered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    They say its compatible with all existing 9 speed chains and 9 speed compatible front sprockets. I would assume that means the spacing is at least similar if not the same. Email them for tech support, I asked a question that was promptly answered.
    I'll flick them an email. I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is if the shifter and derailleur will work on 'shimano' spaced cassettes like some of the 11-46 options on ebay.
    The SeaMonkey has my money!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any more rider reviews on this? I am thinking that this is the direction I'm going to go.

XC iconoclast

Exactly, but on the lower end of complete bike sales they are really stuck in the stone age. It's the same old 3x7 or 3x8 on almost everything. If they could sell a 2x9 with a clutch RD like this one it would really help but that's $45-100 more for the drivetrain and it kills their price point. They should seriously consider ditching the ubiquitous Suntour XCT coil fork completely, making it rigid, putting on a 2.8 tire in the front for some squish, and adding whatever they saved into 1x9 or 2x9 for the drivetrain, that way they can go above 7-8 speed without going into a higher price level.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    Any more rider reviews on this? I am thinking that this is the direction I'm going to go.
    I took the plunge and installed this drivetrain as a 3x8 to 1x9 conversion on an old steel stumpjumper. I'm building the bike for a bikepacking trip through Mexico , and am still searching for the perfect rigid fork for it, so I haven't taken it out to the trails yet. Test rides on the street have been great - very limited testing conditions, but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adlu View Post
    I took the plunge and installed this drivetrain as a 3x8 to 1x9 conversion on an old steel stumpjumper. I'm building the bike for a bikepacking trip through Mexico , and am still searching for the perfect rigid fork for it, so I haven't taken it out to the trails yet. Test rides on the street have been great - very limited testing conditions, but so far so good.
    Awesome, thank you for the update. Anyone else doing any trail riding with this?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ordered this afternoon.
    No stock of the alloy cogged cassette, so getting the full steel one.
    Can't wait to see how it goes for trail riding and XC racing on a 2012 Giant Anthem.
    Currently running a SunRace 11-42 10 speed cassette and XT mech with Zee shifter.
    Runs fine, but up and down the cassette I'm shifting 2-3 cogs at a time.

3 weeks until the first XC test...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Ordered this afternoon.
    No stock of the alloy cogged cassette, so getting the full steel one.
    Can't wait to see how it goes for trail riding and XC racing on a 2012 Giant Anthem.
    Currently running a SunRace 11-42 10 speed cassette and XT mech with Zee shifter.
    Runs fine, but up and down the cassette I'm shifting 2-3 cogs at a time.

3 weeks until the first XC test...
    Ha, your gearing set up matches (and performs) exactly like mine!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Finally!
    MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_094217.jpg

MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_095157.jpg

MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_100506.jpg

There's a steel insert in the cable stop that makes me a bit happier with the angle.
    MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_103208.jpg

Also put the ball-raced XT jockey wheels on.
    The MicroShift upper has longer teeth, so I'll see how this goes and maybe find a better one later.
    MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_103226.jpg

MicroShift's new 5 Advent drivetrain-img_20191031_110745.jpg

The SunRace cassette had chewed up the alloy Pro2 Evo freehub on the little cogs, but that can be replaced with a steel one later.
    A nice feel to the shifting. The finger pull will take a bit to get used too.
    Definitely shifts better with a 9-speed chain...

Will test it out tonight at the local Super-D race

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ sweet. Curious to hear your feedback after you get some time on it.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Finally!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191031_094217.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	1289971

Name:	IMG_20191031_095157.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	1289977

Name:	IMG_20191031_100506.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	1289969

There's a steel insert in the cable stop that makes me a bit happier with the angle.

Name:	IMG_20191031_103208.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	1289975

The MicroShift upper has longer teeth, so I'll see how this goes and maybe find a better one later.

Name:	IMG_20191031_103226.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	1289973

Name:	IMG_20191031_110745.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	1289979

The SunRace cassette had chewed up the alloy Pro2 Evo freehub on the little cogs, but that can be replaced with a steel one later.
    A nice feel to the shifting. The finger pull will take a bit to get used too.
    Definitely shifts better with a 9-speed chain...

Will test it out tonight at the local Super-D race
    Nice. Mine will be here next week. I am really looking forward to it!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    A quick measure says the cog spacing is 4.6mm vs Shimano 9-speed at 4.3mm

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The shifting is a bit inconsistent at the lever...
    Sometimes it shifts nicely to the bigger cogs and then the next shift is locked or requires much more pressure.
    One of the selling points was the supposed consistent shifting pressure right through the block.

mtbr member
    Guide pulley with taller teeth is better then the one without.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Guide pulley with taller teeth is better then the one without.
    I'll ride it for a bit with the XT pulleys and then change the upper back to stock and see the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The shifting is a bit inconsistent at the lever...
    Sometimes it shifts nicely to the bigger cogs and then the next shift is locked or requires much more pressure.
    One of the selling points was the supposed consistent shifting pressure right through the block.
    Since you changed pulleys - what about putting the originals back? Was there anything else different about them? More or less float, perhaps?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Since you changed pulleys - what about putting the originals back? Was there anything else different about them? More or less float, perhaps?
    No float in either sets of pulleys.
    The inconsistency is at the lever, the lever itself is nice, no vertical movement, the bearing is doing its job.
    Once the rear mech has moved, the chain shifts nicely onto the next cog up or down.

It feels like there's some grittiness/binding in the shifter itself.
    Sort of dry machined plastic rubbing on dry machined plastic. Something moving slightly when under side load?

I'll let it bed in and then pull it apart and see if a bit of lube can help in there.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Anyone else notice the first thumb shift (9 to 8) engages instantly (pressure after 5mm, clicks after 35mm), the next shifts have no pressure until 25mm and click at 45mm.

A LOT more thumb travel involved for the subsequent shifts.

Also: The supplied cable inner is 1.1mm and that combined with a slightly dodgy middle run (3 pieces) of outer was making it feel gritty at the lever.
    It felt fine with the 10spd and a "normal" 1.17mm inner.
    Put a 1.17mm inner on and it was better, replaced the dodgy section as well and much better.

Will be giving it a good 3-4hr workout tomorrow.
    Not sold on the index/thumb shifting.
    Normally my index finger is my braking finger.
    I kept wanting to shift last night but didn't want to let go of the brake to do it.
    Maybe need to rethink how/when I shift.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 11-01-2019 at 04:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone else notice the first thumb shift (9 to 8) engages instantly (pressure after 5mm, clicks after 35mm), the next shifts have no pressure until 25mm and click at 45mm.

A LOT more thumb travel involved for the subsequent shifts.

Also: The supplied cable inner is 1.1mm and that combined with a slightly dodgy middle run (3 pieces) of outer was making it feel gritty at the lever.
    It felt fine with the 10spd and a "normal" 1.17mm inner.
    Put a 1.17mm inner on and it was better, replaced the dodgy section as well and much better.

Will be giving it a good 3-4hr workout tomorrow.
    Not sold on the index/thumb shifting.
    Normally my index finger is my braking finger.
    I kept wanting to shift last night but didn't want to let go of the brake to do it.
    Maybe need to rethink how/when I shift.
    Ha, this is interesting to me. I've spent this past summer re-training my brake fingers off the middle and onto the index. Guess I know what i'll be doing this winter........

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ha, this is interesting to me. I've spent this past summer re-training my brake fingers off the middle and onto the index. Guess I know what i'll be doing this winter........
    Or as anyone who has seen me ride would say "Let go of the brakes!"

I think the 1.17mm cable had worn a groove with the water and crap in that run of outer and the 1.1mm cable cut through the final bit of teflon liner and was touching the compression wire sleeve.
    The 1.7mm still felt better when I put it back on because it was still supported by the sides of the groove.

Come monday, I'm going to a 1 piece outer run...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cool, thanks for the input. I'd be willing to be that the new cable in full length housing fixes your ish!

mtbr member
    There are two levels of shifters for this group, right? One with a bearing for the shifter, and a cheap non-bearing'd one. Which one did you get? They both are cheap in the price range, but I wonder if it is shifter related.
    Silly bike things happening.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Got the bearing shifter.
    On today's 2:30hr 900m climbing test it was flawless. Shifted nicely up and down, tweaked the adjuster at the lever a click every so often to shift into the easier gears (cable bedding in) and after an hour it didn't get touched again.
    Very rocky for 10min climbing and 20min descending and the clutch worked as it should.

This was just with a standard inner and the middle of the 3 cable outer runs (down by the shock) on the 2012 Anthem replaced.

I've just drilled out the frame cable stops with a 4.5mm bit and run a single outer from the lever to the rear mech.
    Feels the same as the ride this morning, but should last longer.

Spent most of the 45min climb in the 28t rear (34t front).
    Was pre-planning where to shift and still trying to click with my thumb...
    Was a bit better by the end

Weirdly, changing from the 28 into harder gears as the track mellowed out, the jumps seemed bigger than on the 10spd.

XC race this coming weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Got the bearing shifter.
    On today's 2:30hr 900m climbing test it was flawless. Shifted nicely up and down, tweaked the adjuster at the lever a click every so often to shift into the easier gears (cable bedding in) and after an hour it didn't get touched again.
    Very rocky for 10min climbing and 20min descending and the clutch worked as it should.

This was just with a standard inner and the middle of the 3 cable outer runs (down by the shock) on the 2012 Anthem replaced.

I've just drilled out the frame cable stops with a 4.5mm bit and run a single outer from the lever to the rear mech.
    Feels the same as the ride this morning, but should last longer.

Spent most of the 45min climb in the 28t rear (34t front).
    Was pre-planning where to shift and still trying to click with my thumb...
    Was a bit better by the end

Weirdly, changing from the 28 into harder gears as the track mellowed out, the jumps seemed bigger than on the 10spd.

XC race this coming weekend.
    Shit dude, these updates are super! I am so excited to put this on my bike next week.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    3:30hr, 50km, 1,300m climbing today. 500m of climbing in the first 6km. 1,000m in 25km.

Realised my main issue with braking and shifting at the same time is my right brake is the front one and in those weird countries with it the other way around, it won't be so much of an issue.
    Some of the under-load climbing shifts to easier gears were amongst the smoothest I have felt. As though it was shifting on the work stand with no load at all.
    The thumb shifts feel easier than the finger shifts, as though whilst more throw is needed, less pressure is required.
    I'd rate the shifter action as significantly better than XT 1x10.
    I'd still prefer a thumb/thumb shifter though.

Coming out of hairpin corners and instead of instantly dropping 2 cogs and then a 3rd a few seconds later (42-36-32----28t), you drop each cog with a couple of pedal strokes in-between (42--34--28).
    Seems to work well with my riding style.

Still can't believe how cheap this was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    3:30hr, 50km, 1,300m climbing today. 500m of climbing in the first 6km. 1,000m in 25km.

Realised my main issue with braking and shifting at the same time is my right brake is the front one and in those weird countries with it the other way around, it won't be so much of an issue.
    Some of the under-load climbing shifts to easier gears were amongst the smoothest I have felt. As though it was shifting on the work stand with no load at all.
    The thumb shifts feel easier than the finger shifts, as though whilst more throw is needed, less pressure is required.
    I'd rate the shifter action as significantly better than XT 1x10.
    I'd still prefer a thumb/thumb shifter though.

Coming out of hairpin corners and instead of instantly dropping 2 cogs and then a 3rd a few seconds later (42-36-32----28t), you drop each cog with a couple of pedal strokes in-between (42--34--28).
    Seems to work well with my riding style.

Still can't believe how cheap this was.
    All in all, this really sounds awesome. Again, thank you so much for the updates! I'll be setting my Advent up next week!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Measuring the shifter cable pull over 5 cogs and get 20mm.
    Tried over a few different combos and 20mm consistently.
    4mm cable pull per gear.

Got some SRAM 9spd somewhere I can check too.
    Don't have Shimano MTB 9spd to check.

mtbr member
    Measuring the shifter cable pull over 5 cogs and get 20mm.
    Tried over a few different combos and 20mm consistently.
    4mm cable pull per gear.

Got some SRAM 9spd somewhere I can check too.
    Don't have Shimano MTB 9spd to check.
    From a chart I read Sram 9 speed is 4.0mm of pull and Shimano 9 speed is 2.5mm of pull.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well I set up my Advent and for the hour I got to ride, it was great. My ride ended when my buddy crashed in a rock garden and dislocated his shoulder. I haven't had a chance to get back on to it. But I gotta say, for the 1 hour I was on it, everything shifted great. Not a single chain skip or hiccup or mystery shift when back pedaling. I really dig it for 1 hour.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Looking forward to this weekends (hopefully dry) XC race to see how it handles shifting when it's not a mud-bath.
    It still shifted well in the mud, but the 42 & 34t cogs did generate quite a bit of chain noise.
    I think I need to swap the 3 speed crankset for the 2 speed off the single speed and see if it brings the front ring closer to the centerline of the cassette.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Swapped the cranksets and did the race.
    Not once did I wish I was running a 28,32,36,42 low end. The 28,34,42 was great.
    Heaps of traction and lots of switchbacky climbing.
    Adjusted the cable pull one click looser about halfway as I was pushing a bit hard sometimes and ghost shifting up a 2nd cog by mistake.

Need to mock up a SRAM 9spd shifter and test the pull ratios.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    SRAM X0 9spd shifter mocked up and no-go.
    Will shift the first 6 cogs fine, but double shifts from 6 to 8 on a single click and the mech won't travel far enough to get the last click.
    SRAM pulls a fraction MORE cable than the MS Advent.

If I can find a small enough file, I'll try reducing the dia of the cable groove inside the shifter a fraction and test again.

Come to think of it, a hacksaw blade would be a small enough file...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The last couple of races were a bit... wet... and the shifter isn't feeling the best.
    Almost like it's years old and starting to miss shifts and feel really inconsistent.

Strip down time.

The rear mech is going sweetly so far.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The shifter pawl wasn't engaging fully and skipped occasionally over the ratchet tooth.
    Cleaned, greased and reassembled. feels much better.
    Very simple design inside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for all the updates. I have been able to get out on mine again and the shifting has been phenomenal. I am really excited to see how durable all this is over winter and spring!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Was surprised how little crap was inside the shifter considering how open it is and the conditions I was riding in.
    Just a little dust on the inside of the plastic housing. The rest was probably washed out by the rain...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My 2 cents:

Bike: RSD Mayor, clown shoes, and snowshoe 2xl's

Direct mount 24t from chainring and the 11-42t 9 speed rear. Chain line is perfect!

Bike is mostly for exploring and bush wackin.

Gear ratio is about perfect for a heavy wheelset with ~32" diameter. I haven't missed a shift yet. Plenty of derailleur clearance on the 42t sprocket. Shifts are fast enough and engage solid, this bike is mostly under high torque.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Having some chain drop issues.
    34t generic n/w oval front ring and the 9spd chain just isn't as tight on the teeth as a 10spd.
    It's getting bounced off the ring on top gear, high speed, non-pedaling downhill sections.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I had an argument on the pinkbike review/release last spring about this group with one of the microshift employees who sword blind that it was impossible to properly track an 11-42 9 speed cassette using the same derailleur cable pull ratio as any of the existing SRAM or Shimano standards (which they already made shifters and derailleurs which are compatible with) and thus they had to create an entirely unique ratio for their advent 9 speed mini-group.

And yet...clearly given that the Shimano DynaSys 11 speed ratio is the same 1:1 as the SRAM 9 speed mountain shifter and work well with a wide range 9 speed cassette (and other brands produce them than just Microshift), that that was a load of manure and they simply want to invent their own new standard and thus guarantee that people have to keep sourcing replacement parts from them. Of course this also means that the Microshift DynaSys 11 clutch rear derailleur will also work with the SRAM 9sp shifters.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Of course this also means that the Microshift DynaSys 11 clutch rear derailleur will also work with the SRAM 9sp shifters.
    Didn't know the 11spd Shimano works with SRAM 9spd.
    I used to run Shimano 10spd Zee with SRAM 9spd Gripshift.
    Just couldn't handle bigger than 36t cassettes.

My feeling is MicroShift COULD have made it compatible, but if it could be made better, why wouldn't they give it a go?

mtbr member
    Having some chain drop issues.
    34t generic n/w oval front ring and the 9spd chain just isn't as tight on the teeth as a 10spd.
    It's getting bounced off the ring on top gear, high speed, non-pedaling downhill sections.
    None of the n/w single rings are designed for the wide 9 speed chain.
    Use a 10 speed, or preferably an 11 and even a 12 speed chain and you will have no problems.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    None of the n/w single rings are designed for the wide 9 speed chain.
    Use a 10 speed, or preferably an 11 and even a 12 speed chain and you will have no problems.
    Apart from not shifting as well as with a 9spd chain...

Garbaruk rings have much taller teeth than standard N/W, but I've only got a 38 & 42 of theirs.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    New chain and front ring today.
    New XT 9spd chain and an Absolute Black 34t oval that I had lying around without much use.
    Much better retention.
    Although the old chain was only at about 0.5%

So, after 1,000km and 25,800m of climbing in the last 7.5 months I can honestly say that the Microshift Advent is a little pearler and fantastic value.

Would I ever go back to 10, 11 or 12 speed?
    In a word, yes.
    I much prefer to be able to use my thumb to shift up AND down the gears.
    The thumb/forefinger shifting is my only real dislike.

Will I be removing the Advent any time soon?
    In a word, no.
    Not until it breaks

mtbr member
    This is the first I've heard of these components and I think they're a great idea. The big boys had to try and outdo each other with ever more gears but who really needed them? A 9sp transmission gives you enough range, thicker gear rings, lower cost and more reliable shifting.

Fantastic! Thank you Microshift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ya, i really want an sram style shifter to work with my advent derailleur...love the clutch mechanism on this thing but dislike that shifting design
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Ride Everything
    I'm a big fan of the ADVENT components. Durable, reliable, and affordably priced. I run 11-speed SLX on my Jones, but the 9-speed ADVENT stuff has been perfect for my commuter.

https://www.gravelbike.com/microshift-advent/
    https://www.gravelbike.com/microshif...t-second-look/
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'd stick it on my gravel bike if they had a hydro brake version.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I much prefer to be able to use my thumb to shift up AND down the gears.
    The thumb/forefinger shifting is my only real dislike.
    Oh boy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma
    Hi Fran,

This is Kuma from microSHIFT service team.

Yes, we offer push-push shifter for ADVENT series.
    The model number is SL-M9295-R..
    And this product is already available now.

Hope this info helps.
    If need further assistance, just let us know.
    Thank you.

With best regards
    -Kuma

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does the Micoshift Advent RD work with Shimano/SRAM 9-speed cassettes or is the sprocket spacing different or something else that would impair cross compatibility..?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    Does the Micoshift Advent RD work with Shimano/SRAM 9-speed cassettes or is the sprocket spacing different or something else that would impair cross compatibility..?
    I've never seen cassettes of a given speed differ in gear spacing. That would be mental.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I've never seen cassettes of a given speed differ in gear spacing. That would be mental.
    TBH, I think the same, but when reading this thread I stumbled upon this and started wondering...

A quick measure says the cog spacing is 4.6mm vs Shimano 9-speed at 4.3mm

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just did another quick measure and the Advent definitely has a bigger gap between cogs.
    BUT! If you put a Shimano/SRAM cassette on top of it (the Advent is still on my Anthem), the Shimano spacing looks bigger!

Arrgghh. My head...

Oh well.
    Later today I'll pull the Advent cassette and measure the outside-outside spacing on 9 cogs compared to Shimano.
    Also on the 3 shimano's (road and mtb) to see if they're consistant as well.

Might stick a Shimano 9 speed cassette on the wheel and see if it shifts properly too.

SRAM 9 speed XO GripShift with the Advent rear mech and cassette doesn't at all.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Trying to consistently measure the cog spacing is a nightmare.
    So easy to be 0.2mm out measuring between different cogs on the same cassette.

Pulled the cassette and compared to an 11-32t cassette.
    Same spacing.

Put the 11-32 on the bike and shifts OK.
    But not likely going to run an 11-3x on the bike unless it's a gravel race

A SRAM 9spd shifter, Shimano clutch rear mech (with cable mod and long cage) and the Advent cassette would work and have better ratios than a modded 11-34 or 36 cassette.
    But it wouldn't shift as well or as consistently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alright, thanks...

I'm planning to put Microshift on my commuter with SRAM PG970 11-36 cassette. The current shimano RD and shifter are working just fine, but there is considerable chainslap whenever on rougher terrain, hence Microshift Advent would be attractive with its clutch RD.

Only question left is that can I manage myself with index/thumb shifter, instead of thumb/thumb on all my other bikes...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    Only question left is that can I manage myself with index/thumb shifter, instead of thumb/thumb on all my other bikes...
    Well they do have that new thumb/thumb shifter

dirtbag
    I've been running the 9spd Advent drivetrain with a Raceface 32 NW chainring for a couple months now on my HT 26er to try it out. Riding intermediate trails, nothing to techie and it shifts and performs quite admirably. No misshifts going up or down the cassette or chain hopping off the chainring. It recently hesitated shifting but nothing a quick turn of the barrel adjuster on the shifter couldn't remedy. The 32 x 42 gear is more than enough to clear the steep short trails I frequent. If I was riding a longer steeper climb I might beg for a lower gear.

For a cheap costing 9 speed groupset with a decent usable 42 cog, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for someone looking to simplify the drivetrain on a current or new bike. The performance/price was good enough that I recently put on the 8 speed version on an old Trek 970 to lose weight and simplify it's drivetrain and that one has worked well too. I do have the non clutch derailleur on that set up but that bike is relegated to street/pavement/MUT riding.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Oh boy...
    could not find that shifter on the microshift website....
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane View Post
    could not find that shifter on the microshift website....
    I think that it is for the new Advent X 10speed group set. https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sl-m9605-r/

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    I think that it is for the new Advent X 10speed group set. https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sl-m9605-r/
    That's the part number MicroShift gave me but I can't find it in the wild anywhere.
    May try ordering one straight from them.

M9605-R Advent X pro
    M9505-R Advent X
    M8195-R Advent bearing
    M819-R Advent

M9295-R Advent (Possible push/push)

mtbr member
    My bike has a 11-36 cassette on the back and 24/38 chainrings on the front.

If I wanted to go X1 with the Advent 9-speed 11-42 or Advent 10-speed 11-48 cassettes, what would be the best size of chainring to use?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'm running 11-42 with a 34t front on the Anthem for XC training and racing.
    If I was just trail riding, I'd go down to a 32.
    11-48, I'd probably run a 36t.

But I don't mind standing and grinding.

32-34t would work well.

mtbr member
    But I don't mind standing and grinding.
    I don't do that often. In Scotland every ride includes climbs, usually steep ones, so the gearing would need to be as low as I have now preferably. Although I can't get out on a mountain bike just now because of the lockdown. I need to drive to any trail worth riding. Thankfully I have quiet roads on my doorstep so that'll have to do for now.

mtbr member

If I wanted to go X1 with the Advent 9-speed 11-42 or Advent 10-speed 11-48 cassettes, what would be the best size of chainring to use?

To replicate the low gear you have now you'd need a 28t ring with the 11-42 or a 32t with the 11-48.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

As someone who is in the mid to late fifties with bad knees I was running an 11 speed 30T/ 11-46 setup and just switched to a 28T/ 11-46 setup I would probably go with a 30T/ 11-48 10 speed setup. I just don't have the leg strength that I used to and as I got tired I couldn't make some of the steeper climbs. I needed a lower gear. I think that an 11-48 cassette with a 30T chainring would be an ideal combo. I wished that I could find an 11-48 11 speed cassette that wouldn't break the bank. Garbaruk makes one but I'm not spending $250 on a cassette.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    It happens all the time. Shimano and Suntour and Campagnolo back in the 80/90s all had different cog to cog spacing of their cogsets that only worked properly with their respective shifters and derailleurs, especially when index shifting became the normal setup. Even today Campagnolo shifters aren't compatible with shimano cassettes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    That's the part number MicroShift gave me but I can't find it in the wild anywhere.
    May try ordering one straight from them.
    Found one in Australia
    https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/microsh...d-rear-shifter

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Still waiting...
    Says it left Melbourne on the 9th...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Good thing it's coming "International Express" delivery, or it might take a while.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    It's landed in NZ!
    27 days for a 6-10 day delivery.
    Well, now it's got to clear customs etc, but that should take no time at all.
    Right?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Um, it's cleared customs already...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Now THAT was a surprise...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Whole different body shape.
    Much slimmer.
    Feels a bit heavier shifting, but it may need a few shifts to wear in.
    The cable inner is VERY nice.
    Slid down the full length outer without any binding at all.

Now to test ride

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    A quick ride up town and back says...
    YES!

Now for a 2hr ride in the hills with lots of shifting...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Yep, it's very good.

The main shifter is alloy and has a rubber-gripper pad.
    I was a bit leary of the main shifter shape as it didnt seem to give easy access to the small one, but once it was on the bike, no worries.
    I had to move the shifter closer to the grip as the arm is a little shorter. Luckily i could butt the brake lever up against the grip without compromising my one finger braking feel.
    I tweaked the shifter rotation a few times to get the best feel both seated and standing and my only issue while riding was muscle memory trying to shift with my forefinger.

The only improvement I can see at the moment world be if the mount and shifter were seperate and could be adjusted SRAM style as the lever ideally needed to be moved to the right about 10mm to put the tip in the same position as the old one.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 06-06-2020 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's very good.

The main shifter is alloy and has a rubber-gripper pad.
    I was a bit leary of the main shifter shape as it didnt seem to give easy access to the small one, but once it was on the bike, no worries.
    I had to move the shifter closer to the grip as the arm is a little shorter. Luckily i could butt the brake lever up against the grip without compromising my one finger braking feel.
    I tweaked the shifter rotation a few times to get the best feel both seated and standing and my only issue while riding was muscle memory trying to shift with my forefinger.

The only improvement I can see at the moment world be if the mount and shifter were seperate and could be adjusted SRAM style as the lever ideally needed to be moved to the right about 10mm to put the tip in the same position as the old one.
    Maybe try swapping the shifter to the inside.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Maybe try swapping the shifter to the inside.
    Then the brake would be too far out.
    I was running the brake about 5mm out from the grip.
    I ride with my hands right on the outside of the grips.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Hill reps this afternoon.
    6*3min climb and a 1:20min descent.
    Lots of gear shifting, seated, standing, spinning, grinding.
    The new shifter is much nicer.
    Even feels crisper, but that could be that it's only got 100km on it. Or it's a higher quality item.
    I'm thinking a bit of both.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    300km now in all conditions and still shifting crisply. No regrets changing from XT/Zee/Sunrace 10spd 11-42.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    300km now in all conditions and still shifting crisply. No regrets changing from XT/Zee/Sunrace 10spd 11-42.
    Agreed! I switched from Zee/Sunrace as well. Recently, I put 11-46 9spd Sunrace cassette on. The rest of the parts were not changed and everyting is shifting perfectly! For me, this groupset really shines.