Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760

    Least expensive 1x11 drivetrain

    Welp, I think I've figured out the lowest cost way to get into 1x11

    My wife enjoyed her 1x10, and insisted I build her another 1x while moving her 10s drive train to another project. Starting from scratch on her bike, so why not go 1x11? She prefers SRAM shifters, so I went GX/X1.

    Sunrace CSMX8 11 Speed 11-42T Cassette (std freehub) - $62
    SRAM GX rear derailleur - $81
    SRAM X1 chain - $22
    SRAM X1 shifter (was same price as GX) - $47

    Seems to work great

    I have more in my X01 rear cassette than I do in her shifter/rear D/chain/cassette.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,241
    Very nice!

    $212 sounds fair...I am tempted to try my 10sp X9 RD w/ 11sp stuff to see just how well it works.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    70
    Do you really need the rear dérailleur? I know that the shimano 10 speed dérailleur will work with a shimano 11 speed shifter.

  4. #4
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by abrooks View Post
    Do you really need the rear dérailleur? I know that the shimano 10 speed dérailleur will work with a shimano 11 speed shifter.
    I think the answer is a SRAM 10s (or Shimano + Goat link/RADr cage) should work. But the offset upper pulley on the 11s rear D's does help things play nicely with the 42T cog.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 10-29-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  5. #5
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Those match my numbers. I have a gx shifter, csmx8, and x11 chain in hand. Waiting to see if the price on the derailleur will come down eventually. For a possible future budget oriented fat build which I haven't really decided about doing yet. And it hasn't cleared the wife either. Bit I digress.

    Your list looks good.

  6. #6
    Old Fat Guy
    Reputation: bentyyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Welp, I think I've figured out the lowest cost way to get into 1x11

    My wife enjoyed her 1x10, and insisted I build her another 1x while moving her 10s drive train to another project. Starting from scratch on her bike, so why not go 1x11? She prefers SRAM shifters, so I went GX/X1.

    Sunrace CSMX8 11 Speed 11-42T Cassette (std freehub) - $62
    SRAM GX rear derailleur - $81
    SRAM X1 chain - $22
    SRAM X1 shifter (was same price as GX) - $47

    Seems to work great

    I have more in my X01 rear cassette than I do in her shifter/rear D/chain/cassette.
    What rear hub is the cassette going on to? Sounds like a great solution.

    My wife has a '15 RMB Thunderbolt 710 that I'd like to convert to 1x...


    BenTYYC
    2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º
    2017 Cervelo C3


    "Love the ride"

  7. #7
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    What rear hub is the cassette going on to? Sounds like a great solution.
    As I called out, standard rear hub. ie: not SRAM XD
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  8. #8
    Old Fat Guy
    Reputation: bentyyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    As I called out, standard rear hub. ie: not SRAM XD
    I see that now - thanks. I'm a newbie, so are both SRAM/Shimano non-XD hubs similar (hence standard)?


    BenTYYC
    2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º
    2017 Cervelo C3


    "Love the ride"

  9. #9
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Yes.

    Form MTB: 8/9/10 SRAM/Shimano and 11sp Shimano = standard free hub, not SRAM XD
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  10. #10
    Old Fat Guy
    Reputation: bentyyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Yes.

    Form MTB: 8/9/10 SRAM/Shimano and 11sp Shimano = standard free hub, not SRAM XD
    Love learning from this forum - thanks!


    BenTYYC
    2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º
    2017 Cervelo C3


    "Love the ride"

  11. #11
    bike tester
    Reputation: syl3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Very nice!

    $212 sounds fair...I am tempted to try my 10sp X9 RD w/ 11sp stuff to see just how well it works.
    It won't work with 11 speed shifters. But why would you want to go to 11? There's cheap sunrace cassettes for 10spd that go up to 42t.

  12. #12
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    It won't work with 11 speed shifters. But why would you want to go to 11? There's cheap sunrace cassettes for 10spd that go up to 42t.
    Actually, some are reporting that it will work. 10s rear D with 11s shifter and 11-42T cassette. The pull ratio is the same for SRAM 10s and SRAM 11s and 1x10 conversions has shown that the SRAM 10s can handle a 42T cog.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  13. #13
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Actually, some are reporting that it will work. 10s rear D with 11s shifter and 11-42T cassette. The pull ratio is the same for SRAM 10s and SRAM 11s and 1x10 conversions has shown that the SRAM 10s can handle a 42T cog.
    SRAM 10 and 11 speed ROAD both use exact actuation. SRAM 11 speed mountain uses x-actuation. Very different pull rates between the two. I guess you could try a road shifter, but the x1 shifter he bought wont work, AFAIK.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,241
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    It won't work with 11 speed shifters.
    Spreading bad info is never a good idea.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post12268604

  15. #15
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Spreading bad info is never a good idea.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post12268604
    I cant really watch the video at work, but was this a case of using only 10 out of the 11 gears? I know people have run 11 speed cassettes with 10 speed shifter and derailleur successfully.

  16. #16
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    SRAM 10 and 11 speed ROAD both use exact actuation. SRAM 11 speed mountain uses x-actuation. Very different pull rates between the two. I guess you could try a road shifter, but the x1 shifter he bought wont work, AFAIK.
    Ok. Clearly stepping out of my knowledge zone then, sorry for speculating.

    The 1x11 setup I originally posted works fine. All 11s components.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,467
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I cant really watch the video at work, but was this a case of using only 10 out of the 11 gears? I know people have run 11 speed cassettes with 10 speed shifter and derailleur successfully.
    There is a video of a 11sp (modded I think) shifter with a 10sp X9 RD working with a 11sp cassette.

  18. #18
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Spreading bad info is never a good idea.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post12268604
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    There is a video of a 11sp (modded I think) shifter with a 10sp X9 RD working with a 11sp cassette.
    OK, I just watched the video on my phone. He's using an x9 derailleur with an *x9 shifter*. The x9 shifter only comes in 10 speed, not 11. That mean's its been modded with an 11 speed ratchet gear. The pull rate is probably the same exact-actuation, but adds an additional gear.

    This is very different than using an 11 speed sram shifter with a 10 speed sram derailleur.

    Here's a link to a post by the guy who sells the conversion/mods and made the video.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...l#post11718731

    IMO, the x7 and x9 derailleurs will still suffer from slightly less than optimal shifting when turned out to clear a 42t cog. All you gain is tighter spaced gears. For proper shiting performance, use all 11 speed parts of suffer the consequences.

    EDIT: I should note that since the 11th gear is located inboard of the normal 10 speed cassette cog locations, the angle of the parallelogram will help it clear the larger cog, but still not nearly as much as the larger offset guide pulley in proper 11 speed RDs.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,467
    The SRAM 10sp works decent when cranked to work with a 42T. The shifts in the high gears are still a bit sluggish, but tolerable for me. I got a Garabruk SRAM derailleur cage. I was able to turn the b screw out a few more times. My Type 2 is taking a dump. I have a warranty 2.1 on the way.

    Here is what my version of a "budget" 11sp 1x would be:

    Cassette: SRAM 1150. It can be had for around 100 bucks.
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X1. Already have it. I think they can be found for around 130 on eBay.
    Shifter: SRAM X01. On sale for 70 to 80.
    Crank: XX1. Already have it.
    XD driver about another 80-100 bucks. This part will probably ruin the budget part. If you have an XD compatible wheel...why not go for the 10T on the SRAM cassettes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Least expensive 1x11 drivetrain-img_20151012_001119.jpg  


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    I'm confused. Is the Sunrace cassette supposed to work with SRAM? Or is it meant to be used with Shimano 11spd?

    Also, what store did you buy from?

  21. #21
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Sunrace cassettes work on a standard freehub, not the SRAM XD driver freehub. Otherwise they are compatible with both SRAM and Shimano shifters and derailleures.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    OK, I just watched the video on my phone. He's using an x9 derailleur with an *x9 shifter*. The x9 shifter only comes in 10 speed, not 11. That mean's its been modded with an 11 speed ratchet gear. The pull rate is probably the same exact-actuation, but adds an additional gear.

    This is very different than using an 11 speed sram shifter with a 10 speed sram derailleur.
    That may have been my video that you saw, I'm using Ikomars 11 speed ratchet in my X9 shifter, with a standard X9 derailleur and 11 speed (11-42) cassette. It shifts every bit as good as it did as a standard 10 speed. I have around 700 miles on it, don't have any complaints at all.

    https://youtu.be/FPtOIy0xn2U
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

  23. #23
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,726
    Thanks for posting this. I'm currently broke but already looking to ditch my annoying 2x setup so I can go 1x on the cheap.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    What kind of cranks are you all using and how did you ensure proper chainline?

  25. #25
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,760
    Her bike is set up with a 3x crank, with an Absolute Black oval 28T in the granny/64BCD position. Works great.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    What kind of cranks are you all using and how did you ensure proper chainline?
    I have a 3x crank also, with an absolute black 32 on the 104 bcd. No issues with backpedalling.
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,043
    Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm considering this exact same setup. Is she still happy with the GX and sunrace cassette?

  28. #28
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Ive had gx and sunrace 11 speed on my fatbike since December, and its been flawless for a couple hundred miles so far. My other bikes have gx rd and cassette with x01 shifter, and have been even more flawlesser.

Similar Threads

  1. XTR shifter and derailluer on a SRAM X! 1x11 drivetrain?
    By RKC in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM
  2. 1x11 Drivetrain
    By djonesax in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM
  3. least expensive way to silence drivetrain
    By goodmojo in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 05:31 AM
  4. SRAM XX1 Drivetrain 1x11
    By eurospek in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
  5. 1x11 drivetrain and questions
    By Uncle Six Pack in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.