L limit screw front derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020

L limit screw front derailleur

Hi, I have a 2 by 10 drive terrain on my bike and I have adjusted the rear derailleur fine and even set up the H limit screw on the front derailleur, my biggest frustration at the moment is moving the cage to the left (towards the bike frame) to avoid chain rub. When I screw the L limit screw clockwise the cage moves away from the frame but when I screw anti clocmwise it does not move and it is frustrating because it causes an annoying chain rub.

Note: to do this I have positioned the chain on the smallest cog at the front and the largest cog at the back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Adjust the low limit screw with the cable disconnected or loosened from the derailleur anchor bolt, chances are that cable tension is preventing the derailleur from moving even with the low limit screw not touching the stop. After you get the adjustment right re-attach the cable and set cable tension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for your reply, I will try this this afternoon

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Hi, I just tried that and it does not work. There must be some trick here because I tried it on my wife's bike which is exactly the same model and when adjusting the L limit screws can move the cage to the left and right but I can't move the cage to the right when adjusting the H limit screw to the right, I can only move it to the left 🤔 and I can't even look it up on youtube because on evwry single video the mechanics adjusts the H and L limit screws the cage moves left and right to theur convinience but none of them ever mentiones what happens when the cage does not to one side

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digijl View Post
    Hi, I just tried that and it does not work. There must be some trick here because I tried it on my wife's bike which is exactly the same model and when adjusting the L limit screws can move the cage to the left and right but I can't move the cage to the right when adjusting the H limit screw to the right, I can only move it to the left 樂 and I can't even look it up on youtube because on evwry single video the mechanics adjusts the H and L limit screws the cage moves left and right to theur convinience but none of them ever mentiones what happens when the cage does not to one side

You can never get the cage to move to the right with the H-limit screw, only cable tension can do that. Turning the H-limit screw clockwise will move the derailleur cage inboard but turning it counter-clockwise will only allow it to move to the right via more cable tension (pushing the shift lever)

There's a few reasons why your derailleur might not be mot be moving far enough inboard even with the cable detached and the L-limit screw turned out. The cage could be very crooked (not parallel to chainrings), wrong size bb (bad chainline), or maybe a small pebble jammed in the parallelogram. It can happen.

Park Tool instruction vids are very good. Follow the one for front derailleur adjustments step by step in the right order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Hi, it is a brand new bike so everything is new it just needs some fine tunbing because everything works well only problem is the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. The cage is parallel to the chainring and I have checked the parktool front derailleur adjustment video but as mentioned below, in the parktool videos the mechanic uses the L limit screw to move the cage left and right when on the smallest cog on the front derailleur and moves moves the cage left and right with the H limit screw when on the large cog on the front derailleur but never mentions what would happen if the cage does not move left or right when using the H and L limit screws. And that is my big problem because not 1 video on youtube covers that. I want to avoid taking it to my local trek bike shop because the guy there ripped me off last time by loosening some other bolts that were not loose before and charged me an extra $100 to fix those problems so taking it to the bike shop would be my absolute last resort when all else fails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digijl View Post
    Hi, it is a brand new bike so everything is new it just needs some fine tunbing because everything works well only problem is the chain rubbing on the front derailleur. The cage is parallel to the chainring and I have checked the parktool front derailleur adjustment video but as mentioned below, in the parktool videos the mechanic uses the L limit screw to move the cage left and right when on the smallest cog on the front derailleur and moves moves the cage left and right with the H limit screw when on the large cog on the front derailleur but never mentions what would happen if the cage does not move left or right when using the H and L limit screws. And that is my big problem because not 1 video on youtube covers that. I want to avoid taking it to my local trek bike shop because the guy there ripped me off last time by loosening some other bolts that were not loose before and charged me an extra $100 to fix those problems so taking it to the bike shop would be my absolute last resort when all else fails

I think you should watch the vid again and pay closer attention. Or take it to another shop.

Professional Crastinator
    Maybe post a pic or 2.

Also, of cable routing/clamping.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.