KMC vs Shimano Chains- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride.

KMC vs Shimano Chains

How do the KMC chains stack up against Shimano chains? I'm looking at a KMC X9SL, I currently have been using Dura Ace 92.
    Whats the wear rate, and shifting like on the KMC compared?'

Thanks

One Gear
    I'm not impressed with the KMC X9SL chains. I replaced the chain, cassette, and rings at the end of the summer and went with KMC. It's noisier than a Shimano chain. More importantly, they do not coat the inside of the rollers and pins like they do the links. So far it hasn't worn any worse than any of the other chains that I've tried. (Dura Ace, XT, PG991 &971) The SRAM chains wore quickly. Shifting is good and we will see how long it wears during the winter this year. They don't rust, which is a plus.

I'm likely to pull it off early and put a Wiperman (sp) on this spring. Somewhere, there must be a good chain.......if just hasn't made it's way to my bike yet.

Good luck

mtbr member
    In practical terms I never see much difference between chains. They go on, they shift alright then eventually they stretch and get binned.
    Shimano ones used to be a pain in the rectum to join with the link pin, but power links sorted that. I've never put much thought into it, just bought the one that was about 15.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well since KMC makes Shimano chains...I'd say they stack up pretty evenly

Fueled by Tigerblood
    I rode the kmc x9 sl this year and loved it. It shifted very smoothly, and diddnt wear too badly. I used it with an fsa carbon team crank, pg990 cassette, xo rear derailleur, and x9 front derailleur. i know when im going 10 speed next year im going with the x10 sl
    2011 ERIKSEN XX BUILD IN PROGRESS HERE: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=698673

Give it a crank
    I can't compare because I'm settled on KMC Z-72 chains for my 8-speed drivetrain. It's strong, defect-free, quiet, shifts well, and I couldn't care if it's a few grams heavier than other chains. At $15 each, I replace them more often than I would replace pricier chains, making gears last longer.

Also worth mentioning is what I saw the other day on How It's Made, a chain-making machine. It spits out chains stamped out of sheet metal like baked cookies, definitely a cool episode.

Just Ride.
    Cheers guys, I'll just see what comes up at the time for the right price.

Give it a crank
    Here's the video of the How It's Made episode of the bike chain making process.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8j5-dC6_x8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8j5-dC6_x8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Chain Reviews - Oy

You know the one thing I hate about chain reviews and discussions alike is that everyone claims "SRAM is terrible" or "Shimano is terrible."

Granted there are bad chains out there, but they all get the job done, and for the most part "A chain is only as good as its weakest link."

With that said, most broken chains are a result of poor shift timing, poor gearing choice, or failure to maintain the chain properly.

I personally ride KMC. Yes, they do make Shimano chains, but they make them to their own specs, not Shimano's, they are a completely different chain. Saying a KMC chain is just a OEM Shimano chain is like saying that your Giant mountain bike is just an OEM Trek.

mtbr member
    I like kmc compared to shimano they last a little longer and they don't rust in my experience.

LCW
    mtbr member
    been running KMC chains for 2+ years...

KMC X10SL, and now KMC X11SL... both on 9 speed SRAM setup... no issues. Great chains, smooth shifting, strong, light... no issues whatsoever. Best chains out there IMO.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Members who have read this thread: 6