Here are the drivetrain specs:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 2011
    SLX Crankset and BB
    10 speed SLX cassette
    10 speed SLX RD
    10 speed SLX chain
    Origin8 BB mounted chainguide/keeper
    e*13 32t guidering

When riding really rough stuff, root covered trails with 4-5 1-2 foot drops in succession, my chain will come off on the outbound side of the front ring.

I removed 3 links from the standard length chain and the tension in the 32x11 combination seemed adequate. I have a 34t bashguard (not installed). With the 34t bashguard in place, the origin8 guide rides too high and the chain rubs the lower portion of the guide. There don't seem to be many 32t bashguard options out there.

Without spending much more money ($25 or so), how can I keep my chain on the front ring?

ETA: it would be nice to have a bashguard option that still allows the blue from the chainring to show through, but that is not mandatory.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of 32t bashguards out there.

Products

I <3 dirt
    Looks like you need to adjust your chain guide but it's hard to tell by that terrible picture you posted.

Plays with tools
    Shadow plus RD

Ow!
    If you cannot adjust your chain retention device or chain length doesn't solve it, you likely will have to put a bash on it. If your 34t doesn't work, you might try BBG. They have a variety of sizes, styles and colors, and all fairly inexpensive.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidchicken View Post

I removed 3 links from the standard length chain and the tension in the 32x11 combination seemed adequate.
    I'd shorten it more. The minimum length is big/big+2 full links. You might not want to go that short, but it looks like you have a lot of extra chain on your 1x9

And I'd run a short cage derailleur.

meow meow
    get that chain as short as possible and get that guide perfect. if that fails you could try a blackspire stinger with a single ring roller.

EDR
    Without spending much more money ($25 or so), how can I keep my chain on the front ring?
    Check out the Ronnie Ring. My 575 used to drop below the small gear all the time. Since I've installed the RR it's happened maybe twice in 2 years. It's made and sold by a local Phoenix rider who I chatted with on the trail once, he noticed I had his product. Don't think I paid more than 15 bucks or so for it. I even ditched my Blackspire Stinger recently b/c I realized it wasn't really doing anything. I had purchased it to help with the chain drop, and it did to a point, but would still happen several times a month. Now I run nothing but the RR and all is still good.

ronniering.com - Welcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The guide you have there is sufficient.....you just need to adjust it and monkey with it....your goal is to rotate the guide clock-wise so its close to the 1 O'Clock position so that the lower part of the guide is almost touching the chain when you are on the smallest sprocket.....

Then shift to the biggest cog and adjust(push down) the e13 so that the top of the guide is only about 2mm away from the top part of the chain....

Its a little tricky because the guide will rotate back towards the 12 o'clock position when you tighten up the external BB.....have someone help you hold it in place or you might have to use some kind of lever to keep it from rotating (I've used a strategically placed screw driver)

Note I've seen certain cranksets that by their design they don't let you get the guide down close to the chain without having them rub the crank's 4-bolt spider attachments....
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 01-14-2012 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    The guide is insufficient. While it holds the chain when pedalling forward, there is nothing that protects the chan from going off the chainring when back-pedalling or when the chain gets slapped around when riding the gnar.

Things that will make the problem less likely to occur:
    - short cage RD
    - more chain tension - use big-big + 2 rule mentioned above
    - shadow plus RD ( currently mutually exclusive with short cage RD, this may change later )
    - bashguard

Inorder to completely resolve the issue you need:
    1. use full chainguide - one with upper cage and lower pulley ( E13 LG1 and simular designs come to mind )
    OR
    2 use a bash-witch ( that is: two bash-guards - one on the inner and one on the outer side of the chainring

In either case it is advisable to set the chain length along the big-big + 2 rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    The guide is insufficient. While it holds the chain when pedalling forward, there is nothing that protects the chan from going off the chainring when back-pedalling or when the chain gets slapped around when riding the gnar.

Things that will make the problem less likely to occur:
    - short cage RD
    - more chain tension - use big-big + 2 rule mentioned above
    - shadow plus RD ( currently mutually exclusive with short cage RD, this may change later )
    - bashguard

Inorder to completely resolve the issue you need:
    1. use full chainguide - one with upper cage and lower pulley ( E13 LG1 and simular designs come to mind )
    OR
    2 use a bash-witch ( that is: two bash-guards - one on the inner and one on the outer side of the chainring

In either case it is advisable to set the chain length along the big-big + 2 rule.
    I have used a MRP 1X for years and never have dropped a chain. If you get it set up right, they work great. I could backpedal all day if I wanted to.

Not sure what you mean by the "shadow plus RD ( currently mutually exclusive with short cage RD, this may change later" comment. They come in both medium and long.

mtbr member
    Bailey44:

I tested 1x9 in several forms, always with shortest possible chain ( big-big or big-big + 2 links )

- Naked chainring - I was dropping chain left and right
    - Just bashring - I was occasionally losing a chain
    - Just top guide - fine most of the time. But I was losing chain when backpedalling when not using middle of the cassette.
    - Top guide + bash - almost always ok, just occasionally a dropped chain when using lowest gear
    - full guide - never

In the case when I could lose chain it happend less often when:
    - I was using larger front chainring ( 38 worked fine, 36 worked not so fine, 32 worked terribly )
    - I was using narrow range cassette instead of wide range ( 11-25 vs 11-34 ).

In the case of 11-25 cassette and 38T chainring i probably could ride without a guide of any kind, or just with a bash. With 32T chainring and 11-34 cassette I was dropping chain left and right.

This was on a hardtail with 425mm stays, and 50mm chainline. I guess that with suspension and/or other chainline / chainring / chain configurations results may be different, but the pattern should be the same.

As a result - if one wants full security - use full guide. Otherwise it is a hit/miss depending on the factors above and riding style.

As for Shadow RD - Medium(GS) and Long(SGS) are not Short(SS). 2013 Saint is rumored to include shadow plus technology and be available with short cage.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I have used a MRP 1X for years and never have dropped a chain. If you get it set up right, they work great. I could backpedal all day if I wanted to.
    +1. set it up right and there are no worries.

I <3 dirt
    Bailey44:

I tested 1x9 in several forms, always with shortest possible chain ( big-big or big-big + 2 links )

- Just top guide - fine most of the time. But I was losing chain when backpedalling when not using middle of the cassette.
    - Top guide + bash - almost always ok, just occasionally a dropped chain when using lowest gear
    - full guide - never

- I was using larger front chainring ( 38 worked fine, 36 worked not so fine, 32 worked terribly )

In the case of 11-25 cassette and 38T chainring i probably could ride without a guide of any kind, or just with a bash. With 32T chainring and 11-34 cassette I was dropping chain left and right.

This was on a hardtail with 425mm stays, and 50mm chainline. I guess that with suspension and/or other chainline / chainring / chain configurations results may be different, but the pattern should be the same.

As a result - if one wants full security - use full guide. Otherwise it is a hit/miss depending on the factors above and riding style.

As for Shadow RD - Medium(GS) and Long(SGS) are not Short(SS). 2013 Saint is rumored to include shadow plus technology and be available with short cage.
    Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Also the shadow plus xtr rear dérailleur comes in medium and long; not short.

mtbr member
    Ilikebmx999:

What am I doing wrong? Precisely.

As for Shadow Plus - That is what I have said in response to Bailey44.

mtbr member
    Bailey44:

- full guide - never

Got it, I wonder if sometimes it's just the bike? I am actually running a 1x10 in my inner ring right now and it stays on that tiny 26t ring with a Bash on the outside and a MRP arm on the inside with a nylon washer replacing the actual guide and 11-36 out back. 5" FS bike.

Maybe it's the shadow plus keeping it on?

When I run my outside ring, I just use the MRP. Never once have dropped a chain.