Thread: JTek Shiftmate?

mtbr member

JTek Shiftmate?

Does anybody have experience with these?

JTek Shiftmate

I have been looking for a way to use the Shimano ST-RS685 11 STI shifters with a Shimano mountain 11-42 cassette and 11 speed derailleur. The #8 Shiftmate looks to be a solution.

#8 Shiftmate

Compatibility guide
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi, I know that this is an old thread, but found it while looking for info on the same thing.
    Did you use the shiftmate? and if so was it successfull?....would be grateful for an update to know if this is a viable solution.......Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have one on my Soma Double Cross. Wanted to build it up inexpensively, but love Campy shifters, so have Campy Centaur shifters shifting 105 derailleur and cassette. Works perfectly.

Are they still in business though? Last I knew, shortly after I ordered mine, the guy behind them died, and I guess they were just selling off whatever stock they had onhand. I know they were very hard to find anywhere in stock, and I felt lucky I got mine when I did.

Course, that all may have changed since then, and they're back available now.
    Last edited by rufus; 06-07-2016 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    According to their website they are now based out of Bridgewater in the U.K.
    There site was built this year so i am hoping all is well and they are in business. I intend giving them a call to find out as i think this is the perfect cheap solution to my cross build.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried to use a Problem Solvers Travel Agent instead? They're made to use short pull levers with long pull calipers.

I've successfully used them to run a 10 speed Shadow Plus clutched rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette.

Should be worth a shot for $19.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atcilscot View Post
    According to their website they are now based out of Bridgewater in the U.K.
    There site was built this year so i am hoping all is well and they are in business. I intend giving them a call to find out as i think this is the perfect cheap solution to my cross build.
    In that case, I'd assume someone bought the name and designs, and is continuing production there.

Ah, here we go.

Jtek Engineering – innovative components for cyclists.

Established in 2003 in the United States, following a premises move we are now based in the United Kingdom. We continue to produce quality, thoughtfully designed products that provide elegant solutions to interesting cycle control problems.

From Ryan Guthrie – former CEO

‘When Robin found out that I was going to close the doors to Jtek he expressed interest in not letting the parts become a thing of the past.

I was excited that he was interested because they had been a long time and outstanding supplier of Jtek parts. One that really understood what we were trying to do.

A deal was struck around March 2015 and they have been doing a great job of not only continuing Jtek as it was but expanding it in ways I just was not able to. It has been great to see it continue and I do keep in contact with them and help when I can.

I have full faith that the products they are currently producing are just as good if not better quality then what I was producing if that is your concern with them not being made in the US. Robin is a great guy who runs a great company. I have known him and the crew for quite some time and through my dealings they have always been more than fair and take care of their customers as well as companies they work with.’
    I know at the time, people were wondering if someone like Wheels Manufacturing would pick it up.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Does anybody have experience with these?

JTek Shiftmate

I have been looking for a way to use the Shimano ST-RS685 11 STI shifters with a Shimano mountain 11-42 cassette and 11 speed derailleur. The #8 Shiftmate looks to be a solution.

#8 Shiftmate

Compatibility guide
    hell0 i havea jtek shimano 9to8 it works flawless. no problems at all.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    have used campyy 10 to shimano 10 RD and Shimano 10 cassette adaptor. Worked very well except on one gear where the chain wasn't happy. On the other sprockets it was flawless. Woukd definitely support Jtek products again.

Members who have read this thread: 21