Jagwire Mountain Pro Shift Kit: Liner or no liner?- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Jagwire Mountain Pro Shift Kit: Liner or no liner?

So my bike has interrupted cable runs for both front and rear derailleurs. The Jagwire kit came with a liner that apparently can be run in the exposed sections. Is it worth? My other option is to drill out the cable stops and run full-length housing (preferred route, me thinks).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I haven't tried it with the Jagwire cables, but that's how my Gore Ride-on cables work - a continuous liner with interrupted housing. I think it is worth it; it seems to keep the gunk off the cables so they are smoother for longer. It seems like it gives most of the advantage of full-length housing. (I've never drilled out the cable stops on a bike - somehow that seems so permanent!)

mtbr member
    Do you already have the Mountain Pro kit?
    About a month ago I bought the Jagwire Ripcord kit. And I'm pretty sure the Mountain Pro is Jagwire's replacement for the Ripcord. The housing in the Mountain Pro is longer.

But the Ripcord kits comes with sleeving that covers exposed cable in the exposed areas. The ends come with boots that slide into the sleeving, making for a waterproof connection and no exposed cable. Very easy to install.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Mountain Pro kit, it's really nice. If you're willing to drill out your cable stops, i think that's probably the only foolproof way to keep crud out. Otherwise, this is a close second.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    yes, use the cover tubes.. one thing thou... use a hair dryer or other heat source and warm them up and straighten them out before install.. this will stop any rub on the cable. The drag isn't so much an issue (it minimal) but over time it can wear thru.

Also if you live somewhere like here in New England where you get rapid weather changes you should cut the straw a shy short of tight from end cap to end cap so it can move a bit and expand/contract, this will keep it from warping/curling in some weather conditions.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

b a n n e d
    Thanks for the tips . . . if I don't drill out the stops, i'll use the liner. Yeah, drilling them out is permanent . . . but why would I want to go back? plus the frame is already a few years old and probably only has a few useable years left, the way I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, but have you priced out good housing lately?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Yeah, but have you priced out good housing lately?
    Yeah . . . . I just bought the MTB Pro kit for $25

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha, yeah...
    I was going to drill mine out, but then i started pricing out housing, cable, ferrules... and then i just said @#$k-it and bought the mountain pro kit. No regrets!

b a n n e d
    I'd still rather run one single length of housing, without having to fiddle with a liner.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Funny I know but I actually prefer having segments with the cover straws over a full run housing... here's why....
    First and foremost is with anything here in CT I'm constantly thinking of repairs. Often times a trail snake bites the rear derailleur and the cable and last piece of housing gets toasted with it. If it's pieces you just get a new cable and usually have left over from original where you're not getting a whole new run. Adds up.

Also, and I know it's minor but, a full run housing does the curly thing as you apply pressure to the cable. Yay I know the cable/housing lengths don't change but you end up with more pressure needed,(cable-housing lengths don't change but energy to pull the cable thru the housing
    increases) and the straight areas the cable is curled dragging on the liner...

Again it's all minor but adds up... lastly I think full run cable look,... well. Off usually. The stops with the straws look cleaner. Oh and full housings are heavier if ya care about that sorta thing.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

b a n n e d
    All valid points there, Thomllama . . . the problem is that were I ride (the desert), the biggest issue is DUST. Exposed cables here are ruined in a matter of months, even WITH proactive maintenance (e.g., wiping cables after the ride). I'm just worried that even the straws aren't going to cut it . . . I suppose I can try it first.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Ya, in that case you might be better off with a full run housing. That and I'm pretty sure that the new jagwire kit comes with a sealed ferrel that has a little rubber seal In the end you can use at the derailleur to help keep the insides clean.
    Last edited by thomllama; 11-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.