Issues with Internal Cable Routing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Issues with Internal Cable Routing

Hi guy's I recently received my new Chinese carbon frame from Hong-Fu (29er - FM056) which came with internal cable routing. I'm new to internal cable routing and I need your help. First of all, I know that the housing has to stop at the point that the shifting hole begins (It can't anyway pass through the frame because the hole has a smaller diameter). What I don't know is:
    1. Do I have to pass the cable naked through the frame? Or
    2. Do I have to pass a smaller diameter housing (also called as liner) through the frame (with the cable inside) and connect the two different types of housing (external housing/Internal liner) using a ferrule?
    Does anybody has experience with internal cable routing? Please help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There are several types of internal routing.
    The first has just two holes in the frame which will be large enough to pass both inner and outer. These are 'tricky', in that you always have to have something connecting them (be it inner or outer) or you'll likely as not never thread it through again. This frame will be supplied with a sleeve already in place. A cable goes through, then the outer is guided through via threading the inner.
    Another way is that the internal portion is actually cable only, and you'll see the entrance has a small hole, with the exit having most likely a removable 'bung' with the exit cable stop incorporated. This means you poke the cable inner through, then go fishing inside the exit hole for the cable and pull it through. Its wise in this case only to poke through just enough cable to get to the far hole, and fishing is best done with the J-bend section of a spare spoke. Make sure your first length of outer is in place before poking the inner through the frame.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    I just finished building my Hong-Fu bike (FM-136). The cable routing is actually very simple. The inside of the frame has a housing so you do not need to fish anything. Simply run the bare cable into the hole at the headtube and it pops out at the rear derailleur. I also thought about using a inner liner for fear of cable rub making the bend at the bottom bracket, but in the end decided this could cause problems down the road if you could not get that inner sleeve out. I just ran the cable bare and it's working great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So, cable with housing outside the frame - bare cable inside the frame. Great. This would also work for me as well with my Hong-Fu frame.

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0