How many people ride twist shifters?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

How many people ride twist shifters?

I have never tried a quality set of twist shifters but like the concept, and am considering trying out the Sram MRX comp twist shifters. I have only tried twisters on dept. store bikes so I cannot make a judgement based on these low quality shifters. I read that you can fine tune the front derailleur with twisters, but how is this any different than having a 1-2-3 trigger type setup?
    Thanks for the help!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Depends on the twist-shifter but many have the front shifter being friction with just some click noises and numbers drawn on them for where the rings should be. Unless you're needing 9 or 10 speed compatibility in the back, the shimano revo twist shifters are actually pretty damn good. I use them on a great number of bike builds/repairs. They're decently light, cheap, and reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a 3x8 speed, so should not need anything special.

xx = xtrČ
    4 years ago I broke both my thumbshifters and decided to try gripshifters because the seemed less likely to break during a crash and thumbshifters actually hurted my thumbs. I have now gripshifts on my 3 bikes and 2 of my friends bought some after trying mine. I don't have experience with the mrx but I have a set of X.7,X.9 and X.0 ond they are all the same except the grip so mrx should be similar and perform well

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Depends on the twist-shifter but many have the front shifter being friction with just some click noises and numbers drawn on them for where the rings should be. Unless you're needing 9 or 10 speed compatibility in the back, the shimano revo twist shifters are actually pretty damn good. I use them on a great number of bike builds/repairs. They're decently light, cheap, and reliable.
    Which model of revos?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakarina
    4 years ago I broke both my thumbshifters and decided to try gripshifters because the seemed less likely to break during a crash and thumbshifters actually hurted my thumbs. I have now gripshifts on my 3 bikes and 2 of my friends bought some after trying mine. I don't have experience with the mrx but I have a set of X.7,X.9 and X.0 ond they are all the same except the grip so mrx should be similar and perform well
    My stock drive is an 8 speed so I think I need to stick with a 2:1 ratio shifter. Thats one reason why I wanna check out the MRX's. I was also considering the Shimano Alivio SL-410 trigger shifters, but I want to check out the grip style shifters because I think they will help take away some clutter on my handle bars.
    The X.7,9,0 are all 1:1 so I dont think they will work with my current derailleur(Shimano deore)

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The RS43s and 41s come in 8 speed versions. I use them often. They also offer the C-055 level intergrated V-brake levers and 8speed revo shifters. I like those a lot too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will give them a look

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd be inclined to avoid the MRXs and get one of the better Sram twist shifters. IME, the MRXs tend to get broken fairly often, but that may be because they come on cheap-ish bikes bought by people who don't know how to ride properly (and crash a lot).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I beleieve the MRX's are the only ones from sram with a 2:1 ratio, all the x7, x9, and x.o.'s are 1:1 if I am not mistaken.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sram make 2 lines of twist shifters. The ones with numbers (x7, x9 etc) are the Sram-RD-compatible ones, while the ones with names (Attack & ???) are the Shimano-compatible ones; I have a pair of the latter. These are basically the same as the x7/x9/x0, and the local agents here told me there was no real difference between the two different Shimano models apart from cosmetics. I have these: http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/...istshifter.php and they've been excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

The MRX uses a much older design mechanism and they are much more user-hostile to service than more current twist shifters - changing cables is a PITA, and IIRC the grip basically holds the whole thing together. They're also made from more brittle plastic. I speak from experience here as I worked in bike shops for many years and saw plenty of broken cheapo twist shifters. IME, the higher end ones DO NOT break in normal use - or normal crashes either.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well after my first trail ride with the MRX's I am very pleased. Shifting is effortless, just give it a twist up to shift up, and twist it down to down shift. I did not have any mis-shifts, and I was even hitting jumps. Only time will tell how much they will hold up, but so far so good. For $20 I am very pleased with the purchase.
    When these do kick the bucket, I will look into the Attacks, but for now these MRX's will do the job nicely.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas
    The MRX uses a much older design mechanism and they are much more user-hostile to service than more current twist shifters - changing cables is a PITA, and IIRC the grip basically holds the whole thing together. They're also made from more brittle plastic. I speak from experience here as I worked in bike shops for many years and saw plenty of broken cheapo twist shifters. IME, the higher end ones DO NOT break in normal use - or normal crashes either.
    True, but it's the only design available for Shimano derailleurs. So, we're stuck with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2
    True, but it's the only design available for Shimano derailleurs. So, we're stuck with it.

Not true at all, as what satanas has posted SRAM Attack, Rocket, centaur and MRX twist shifters are all shimano compatible since they have an actuation ratio of 2:1 which shimano RDs use

i myself am using an Attack twist shift with shimano XT RD on my Kestrel mtb

seen alot of those models at ebay
    Last edited by blueyes; 07-02-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Give it a crank
    I had Shimano twisters on a hardtail I rode for a couple of years. I always liked being able to go through all the gears with a single twist. The setup also looks very clean. Downside: when you damage the handlebar grip, you also sometimes damage the shifter grip along with it. I also like trigger shifters, so I don't plan on going back to twist shifters for now.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Always been a Shimano guy, but recently rode SRAM X9 setup and loved the fast crisp seemingly effortless shifts!

Curious about grip twist shifters.....seems like they'd shift when I'm riding throught the rough stuff though?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have not had any accidental shifts while riding yet, even over jumps and techy descents.

~Disc~Golf~
    I'd be inclined to avoid the MRXs and get one of the better Sram twist shifters. IME, the MRXs tend to get broken fairly often, but that may be because they come on cheap-ish bikes bought by people who don't know how to ride properly (and crash a lot).

Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    I disagree..
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=629297

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What grips is everyone using with twisters?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have X7 triggers on one bike and X9 gripshifts on another. Both work well. I've had the triggers on my new bike for a year and they work fine but I find they definitely require more effort; both more physical movement and effort. I've really tried to adapt to the triggers but it's hard to beat the ergonomics of the gripshifts. Downshifts in particular are much easier with the gripshifts; a subtle twist vs. mashing your thumb.

I have Ergon GX2 grips on both bikes.

~Disc~Golf~
    none

dirtbag
    I've been using sram twisters since the late 90's. I have either 9.0 or X.0 twist shifters on four of my bikes so you can say I love 'em. Yes, you can trim the front derailleur with the shifter which is a great feature. They're my preferred shifter and I'll probably swap out the sram triggers on my 29r after a season or two.
    I have ODI lock on grips which are grip shift length. I've never had issues with miss shifts in rough technical terrain. Using grip shift length Ergon grips on my commuter bike, also 9.0 twist shifter equiped but in an 8 speed variety. Long live grip shift!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The ODI lock ons look nice, I will check them out once the stock SRAM ones wear out, or I have to take them off. I am deciding between the ruffian and the yetu hardcore, both in the 90mm lebgth to accomodate twisters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another vote for Ergon from me.

mtbr member
    I love my x7 twist shifters except when really sweaty they are hard to turn. Maybe it's partially the gloves, but if I had to choose again, I'd get x0 with more aggressive ridges to grip. Also my short grips are spinning all the time now so it's time for lock-ons. Might try
    the ergons. Just don't know about bar ends, never had 'em.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree, i'm not sure if I want bar ends or not. I am going to try the ODI Rogue lock ons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can someone comment on the shift grip diameter difference between x7 / X9? Looking at the pictures the X9 looks thicker. I'm contemplating to put twist shifters on the bike for my 8y/o and thinking that X9s size may be less convenient for her. On the other hand bigger diameter likely means easier shifts.

Former Bike Wrench
    Here is my current set up with Ritchey TGV grips trimmed down to 80mm...I like my index finger and thumb over the shifter at all times. Since I grip mostly with my ring and pinkie fingers, I do not have any accidental shifts.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ look like the right proportion to me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a set of Sram ESP 700 twist shifters, 8sp for the rear 3sp for the front. I bought them for $29 on ebay and they work great. I run an 8sp cassette in the rear and 2sp in the front. Haven't heard of a good reason to "upgrade" to 9sp yet but if I do I'll get the Sram xo twisters, the price seems to be right.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Froglipp
    I've got a set of Sram ESP 700 twist shifters, 8sp for the rear 3sp for the front. I bought them for $29 on ebay and they work great. I run an 8sp cassette in the rear and 2sp in the front. Haven't heard of a good reason to "upgrade" to 9sp yet but if I do I'll get the Sram xo twisters, the price seems to be right.
    No reason to "upgrade" to 9 speed...it is all getting replaced by 10 speed for 2011, hopefully SRAM will pull their heads out and build a 10 speed twister to match it.

Members who have read this thread: 0