mtbr member
    Nov 2005

How to bend back XT derailleur cage?

My Rear derailleur cage (SHimano XT M781) is bent out of shape and tried bending it with a plier however cannot get it to budge. For those who have adjusted their RD cages - how did you do it?

mtbr member
    Pictures?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Pictures?

Here you go. Best to replace?

mtbr member
    Well done! That is quite bent.

First off, take the dérailleur off the bike.

Once it's off you can take out the bolts/pins that hold the two halves of the cage together and split the cage. NOTE: the top and bottom pulley wheels are not the same so make sure you put them back in the correct place.

So you've now got the inside cage plate in your hand so bending it will be much easier. I would use a vice to press it straight again. You can do the same with the other plate but I would just leave it attached to the dérailleur body, not worth trying to take it off. Might take a bit of time but I reckon you'll sort it.

mtbr member
    Agree. A vise is probably the best method. I would also recommend some thinner pieces of wood between the derailure and vise. Better to dent the wood than the derailure cage. I'd also make a good bet your derailure hanger is bent. For the short term, you can try to bend it back by clamping it in a vise, but it's a softer aluminum. Best to replace it when you get a chance.

What the heck did you do? Were you running your tire pressure a litle low? (second pic)
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jeez what did you hit? While you're at it, I would check the derailleur hanger to make sure it isn't bent as well. With a hit that hard I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rd's are cheap, replace it. I had one years ago that was bent. Replaced the RD but thought I would fix the cage so I would have a spare. While it looked good in hand, it never shifted right again. Seems when the cage gets that bent up it can also jack up the parallelogram in the RD as well.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Well done! That is quite bent.

First off, take the dérailleur off the bike.

Once it's off you can take out the bolts/pins that hold the two halves of the cage together and split the cage. NOTE: the top and bottom pulley wheels are not the same so make sure you put them back in the correct place.

So you've now got the inside cage plate in your hand so bending it will be much easier. I would use a vice to press it straight again. You can do the same with the other plate but I would just leave it attached to the dérailleur body, not worth trying to take it off. Might take a bit of time but I reckon you'll sort it.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try taking the cage apart and tinkering carefully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I purchased this bike and the RD was damaged during shipment - haven't even had a chance to ride it yet .

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Rd's are cheap, replace it. I had one years ago that was bent. Replaced the RD but thought I would fix the cage so I would have a spare. While it looked good in hand, it never shifted right again. Seems when the cage gets that bent up it can also jack up the parallelogram in the RD as well.
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well. Will crudely try to straighten it to work temporarily and order an RD.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPPYZOOM View Post
    I purchased this bike and the RD was damaged during shipment - haven't even had a chance to ride it yet .
    If it was damaged during shipping I'd try and get the shipper to cover the cost of a replacement derailleur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had derailleurs bent like that in really bad crashes/stick pickups........the eagle has certainly flown on good shifting from that particular unit. You might get it to work again though, as in shift up/down in its own time.

I'm assuming you bought it secondhand, as there's dust and dirt all over the bike.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"