How bad is SRAM NX?- Mtbr.com
    DFL

How bad is SRAM NX?

I'm looking for my next bike, and in my price range ($3500 FS 27.5+) that seems to be the drive train that comes with most. My last bike was a Trek Stache 9 with SRAM X1, and X9 before that. Is there a noticeable difference between them? I really want to get 1X12, so it may be a moot point.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    with NX you're stuck...
    on a heavy cassette with limited range
    with a heavy derailleur
    and a shifter without matchmaker and instant release

NX only exists to make the slightly more expensive GX groups look like a bargain and if you compare with retail pricing of GX 1x12 you get much better value there and far more range

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The only good use of NX groupset I've seen in Dartmoor bikes only. They use Full NX with GX casette.

mtbr member
    NX is a bit portly...

Otherwise it works fine ^^

If you're a Clyde, a full steel cassette actually makes a lot of sense ;-)

No bending of aluminum cogs o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I find NX to be significant step down in quality and durability compared to GX, which is much more like the higher level Sram stuff. It does work pretty well, but not as well and not for as long as GX and above.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I prefer the nx derailure it is type 3 and feels more crisp to me. But the shifter feels terrible. I use a gx shifter. And gx cassette. I think the derailure is only 40g heavier and seems to hold the chain better. I had the nx shifter and it worked fine but u can get a gx for $25 when you need to change the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What would make me stay away from NX is the cassette. One big advantage of GX and higher is the 10 tooth cog (or 9 tooth with E13 cassette). NX cassette uses a Shimano driver, so if you ever decided up upgrade to GX or higher, you'd need a new driver (if your hub is convertible). I'm sure there are other quality differences between NX and GX, but I don't have any experience with NX so I can't comment on that.

mtbr member
    I got my NX group on a Performance/Nashbar Diamondback. My impression is that it works fine but it's heavy, you get a lot of steel pieces and it's made with industry standard techniques compared to aluminum and fancy manufacturing tricks in higher groups.

Shifting: I've had shifting problems twice, one was traced to a bent RD hanger and one was that it needed a little bit let out on the low limit so it would stay in 1st. Neither can be blamed on anything SRAM did.

Shifter: This shifter has fewer adjustment features than the higher ones but I really don't miss them. However I miss the Shimano index finger release and have considered getting a grip shifter just to get rid of the thumb release. It's only available with a band clamp.

RD: The RD seems fine. Much like Deore, it's all metal but a lot of steel and not aluminum. Only the knuckles and outer link are alloy. The weight is par with Deore M6000, a full two ounces heavier than the GX.

Cassette: seems par with Deore. Definitely not as nice to look at as the XT 9-speed cassette that I have on another bike. If you want to save cassette weight or get nicer shifting or a wider range, there's plenty of other freehub-based cassette options.

Crankset & BB: The BB is English-threaded. The crankset on my bike is direct-mount with a steel 30t ring, even though SRAM don't show a version like that on their website. It must be an OEM option. I think the arms are the same as GX. No issues to report, I bet it will last forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    RD: The RD seems fine. Much like Deore, it's all metal but a lot of steel and not aluminum. Only the knuckles and outer link are alloy. The weight is par with Deore M6000, a full two ounces heavier than the GX.
    A while back I made a spreadsheet to compare weights and prices between SLX M7000 and SRAM NX. Looking at that info I see that the NX rear derailleur weighs 322g, compared to 323g for the SLX M7000 RD

Ignore the weight of the chain, as I used a SRAM PC 1130 for both comparisons. I also included the weight of the chainring in with the cranks.

Also to the OP, if you're asking about SRAM NX because you want to get a Marin B17 1, just know that it comes with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette (408g), which is much lighter than the all steel NX cassette.

How bad is SRAM NX?-sram-nx-vs-m7000.png
    Last edited by Honda Guy; 10-25-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixing formatting

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Biggest downside of NX is the non XD boat anchor cassette. This was designed to be Shimano compatible Otherwise, the stuff works decent for the price point.

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    A while back I made a spreadsheet to compare weights and prices between SLX M7000 and SRAM NX. Looking at that info I see that the NX rear derailleur weighs 322g, compared to 323g for the SLX M7000 RD

Ignore the weight of the chain, as I used a SRAM PC 1130 for both comparisons. I also included the weight of the chainring in with the cranks.

Also to the OP, if you're asking about SRAM NX because you want to get a Marin B17 1, just know that it comes with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette (408g), which is much lighter than the all steel NX cassette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRAM NX vs M7000.png 
Views:	4703 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1164065
    So if the NX cassette is Shimano compatible, I should be able to put an XT M8000 11-46 cassette on then? Better range and 100g lighter for +/- $80?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I was looking at the Sunrace 11-46 cassette as that last shift on the Shimano is rather dire.

I wish someone would make an 11-45 cassette which followed the wonderful 9-speed 11-34 ratios and then finished with 39-45.

The Wolftooth GC49 kit works with NX according to their website.

pvd
    mtbr member
    It's not bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    ^^^ I was looking at the Sunrace 11-46 cassette as that last shift on the Shimano is rather dire.

I wish someone would make an 11-45 cassette which followed the wonderful 9-speed 11-34 ratios and then finished with 39-45.

You and me both. I absolutely love the gearing on my 3x9 but I want to ditch the front derailleur. I'm about to try the SLX M7000 setup with a 30T chainring and an 11-42 cassette. It is pretty close on the bottom 7 gears but gives up a little on the top 4. Here is a chart that I made up to compare.

How bad is SRAM NX?-gear-comparisons.png
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I don't mind running NX. The derailleur might be a little heavy, but it functions fine. The shifter is where you'll notice the difference between NX and GX. NX just isn't as crisp. I'll probably end up with full GX whenever I wear out or break the NX bits.
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes :)
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too! :D

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

limited range?

Maybe a slightly heavier cassette and derailleur but range limits? Who needs really 12 speeds? Unless you are climbing mount Everest even a 10 speed cassette will be just sufficient for even the most demanding mountain biker. I have a 10 and 11 speed cassette and really cant see a difference range wise other than more clicks in the shifter and probably finding myself in the wrong gear more often than not because of the BETTER RANGE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Holy old thread! I just got back from 5 days in Colorado where I rode my GX Eagle bike exclusively. Yesterday I went to hit up my home group ride and the GX bike had a flat tire, so I took my 1x11 NX bike to the ride. I can hardly tell the difference. The most noticeable difference is the NX bike has 30x42 on the low end and the GX has 32x50 which is slightly lower when your legs are tired and the trail gets steep. Now that NX Eagle exists I might not even be able to tell the difference if I could ride them blind. I can tell that X01 shifts a little snappier but all these people who can tell a drastic difference between NX and GX, I suggest you align your hanger or adjust your b screw or barrel adjuster; when they are set up correctly, they both do the same thing.

Bikes in jeans
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I can tell that X01 shifts a little snappier but all these people who can tell a drastic difference between NX and GX, I suggest you align your hanger or adjust your b screw or barrel adjuster; when they are set up correctly, they both do the same thing.
    Fully agree, I swear for some components they basically changed the name from GX to NX. The cassette might be the only exception.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Old thread I know but sort of timely for me so my 2 cents:
    I'm lucky enough to ride a bike that has AXS XX1.
    Before I upgraded to AXS I had mechanical XX1 Eagle.
    Within the last coupe of weeks I rented a bike that had Eagle NX. It was FLAWLESS. Quick and precise shifts. I was floored.
    And this was on a well used drivetrain, obviously rented out many times.
    Plus I was riding on some steep, rocky trails (Squamish, BC) that definitely tested the shifting.
    Of course I'd always pick AXS given the choice but if I had to ride NX I would be perfectly happy.

Hi There!
    I have a bike with full XT so was a bit concerned when I got a bike with full NX Eagle, but it's been great. I did switch to the GX Eagle shifter before I even rode it though.
    NTFTC