mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help with XO crank installation

I'm having some problems with my XO crank binding up and can't seem to figure out why.

I've got a Chris King threaded BB on a 73mm BB shell. I've triple checked and the BB is installed correctly with each spacer installed in proper order.

I've tried spacing out the crank using a variety of spacer widths on the drive side to see if it makes any difference and still can't get it to stop binding once I tighten it up.

This isn't the first cransket I've installed and I've never had this problem. Any thoughts?

Crash Dummy In Training
    How many spacers are you using ? Try using one less
    I looked at the GXP crank set and it looks like it don't have a bearing pre load adjustment does it ?
    With my BB30 XX1 Crank set it has one which I backed out till I had crank installed then adjusted it from there worked fine.
    And FWIW following SRAM's directions didn't work had to re do the spacers to get it right.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Not sure with CK, but Race Face 73mm BB wouldn't use a spacer at all IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    How many spacers are you using ? Try using one less
    I looked at the GXP crank set and it looks like it don't have a bearing pre load adjustment does it ?
    With my BB30 XX1 Crank set it has one which I backed out till I had crank installed then adjusted it from there worked fine.
    And FWIW following SRAM's directions didn't work had to re do the spacers to get it right.
    Yeah, SRAM's instructions are crap.

So I've got the stepped washer on the non drive side (which you need) and the 2.5mm cup spacers, one on each side. I don't think you need the spring washer/bearing preload spacer on a GXP BB, but I believe the Chris King BB requires it.

I've tried without the thin plastic washers, with 3 and with 6 on the inside of spring washer. No difference.

I guess I could remove the 2.5mm cup spacers, but I've never used a Chris King BB without those two spacers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Not sure with CK, but Race Face 73mm BB wouldn't use a spacer at all IIRC.
    I'm gonna remove the 2.5mm cup spacers and see how it works. Thanks!

Crash Dummy In Training
    You could install it with out any spacers then measure how much is needed just a thought.
    ​​
    SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You could install it with out any spacers then measure how much is needed just a thought.

If I installed without the spacers and it spins like a top, what would I be measuring for?

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    If I installed without the spacers and it spins like a top, what would I be measuring for?
    How many mm of washers you need then it's a matter of placement to get the crank centered that's pretty much what I ended up doing.
    ​​
    SRAM XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How many mm of washers you need then it's a matter of placement to get the crank centered that's pretty much what I ended up doing.
    Gotcha. I'll try it without both spacers first and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Seems to work fine once both 2.5mm cup spacers are removed. For some reason it feels strange cranking down the BB cups against titanium. Those aluminum spacers feel like a cushion.

But I'm guessing the BB needs 73mm width to work properly, so the spacers are for 68mm shells.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Sweet glad you got it figured out.
    ​​
    SRAM XX1

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Chris King instructions say conversion kit #13 with one 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Chris King instructions say conversion kit #13 with one 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side.
    I actually tried this configuration. Still no go. I'm starting to think something is amiss with the bearings. They feel kinda crunchy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This may be irrelevant but I have had the plastic sleeve bind inside. Once removed everything was good

Pedaling

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    ^^^I had a GXP sleeve do something like that before I remembered to put a touch of grease on the rubber o-rings and it slid right on/in.

Not sure if this is yours, but it seems one spacer on the drive side would be recommended for 73mm (it also has a note about 0 or 1 spacers, depending on crankset instructions - weird)

http://www.freeflowbikes.com/manuals...ket-manual.pdf

Crunchy bearings no good. Do they turn smooth when not mounted? If it's being squeezed too tight, it could make it do that...found a video of a guy doing an install with an X7 crank. Don't know how much help it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdpsSkl053M