try anything on a bike

Help with shifters

Currently have a 9 speed index shifter on Paul's thumbies. It shifts a 9 speed XTR derailleur on a 9 speed xt cassette. Shifts perfect. Only problem is no clutch. I really want a clutch derailleur. I have 1x10 zee on other bike but love the thumbies I don't want to give them up just yet.

How can I run either 1x9,10, or 11 using Paul's thumbies and a clutch rear?

Any help appreciated.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    How about modifying ZEE for your 9sp shifter cable pull. Did so for SRAM X.9 9sp trigger and it was much better than Type2 for my custom 11-40 1x9 system.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Problem solver's might have something that allows you to adjust the pull ratio. Have you checked if Paul's makes a 10-speed thumbie or plans on putting one out soon?

Is a clutch derailure really needed? Have you verified the derailure's spring position is in the "firm" position? Would a chain retainer or NW chainring work, or is this more about the cool chain slap sound.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Here, diagonally!
    I don't see any clutch derailleurs that are anywhere close. The SRAM / Shimano clutch derailleurs have a much lower shift ratio than 9-speed.

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Problem solver's might have something that allows you to adjust the pull ratio. Have you checked if Paul's makes a 10-speed thumbie or plans on putting one out soon?

Is a clutch derailure really needed? Have you verified the derailure's spring position is in the "firm" position? Would a chain retainer or NW chainring work, or is this more about the cool chain slap sound.
    I have a narrow wide. The XTR is older version. Not the shadow. So no spring adjustment. I still lose a chain now and again with the NW. Plus losing the Slap would be a bonus haha. I'd also rather not use a guide if I can avoid it.

Here's mine now.

mtbr member
    do you want to keep you're thumb shifter, or would a different one work OK? Comparing cable pull and derailure ratio charts, not much you can easily do that will allow you to keep the you're current thumb shifter with a new clutch derailure. If you're OK with new thumb shifter though... It'll work fine. Just grab a SRAM barend shifter and swap it over on the thumbie, or buy a new microshift 10-speed thumb shifter for less than $60
    Microshift 10-SPEED MTN Thumb Shifters > Components > Drivetrain > Mountain Shifters | Jenson USA

try anything on a bike
    Changing is fine. As long as I keep some kind of thumb shift vs traditional shifter. So will that Microshift work with say a Shimano Zee derailleur? Will be operated on a 10 or 9 speed cassette??

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    do you want to keep you're thumb shifter, or would a different one work OK? Comparing cable pull and derailure ratio charts, not much you can easily do that will allow you to keep the you're current thumb shifter with a new clutch derailure. If you're OK with new thumb shifter though... It'll work fine. Just grab a SRAM barend shifter and swap it over on the thumbie, or buy a new microshift 10-speed thumb shifter for less than $60
    Microshift 10-SPEED MTN Thumb Shifters > Components > Drivetrain > Mountain Shifters | Jenson USA
    That price is reasonable too.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    So will that Microshift work with say a Shimano Zee derailleur? Will be operated on a 10 or 9 speed cassette??
    Yes, all Shimano 10 speed mountain derailleurs have the same cable pull ratio.

http://www.microshift.com.tw/SL-M10_shifters.html

10 speed it would operate as a index shifter, 9 speed it would have to operate as a friction shifter.

mtbr member
    Oddly enough, at the extreme throw it all together scenario, I think all the SRAM and Shimano 10-speed mountain systems can work together (sorta) if you sent them up just right. Not as nice as SRAM with SRAM and Shimano with Shimano, but it works. Kind of weird.

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Yes, all Shimano 10 speed mountain derailleurs have the same cable pull ratio.

http://www.microshift.com.tw/SL-M10_shifters.html

10 speed it would operate as a index shifter, 9 speed it would have to operate as a friction shifter.
    You just saved the day! Thank you.