HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?

So I was replacing the cable on my XX shifter and accidentally allowed the inside of the trigger mech to drop out from the bottom. I've downloaded several manuals, exploded diagrams etc, but can't find out where one little spring clip goes.

HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?-img_0627.jpg

The spring clip somehow needs to spread the two lugs that engage with the top mechanism, keeping tension on them at all times. Does anyone know where this spring clip fits into the mechanism? I'm really stumped on this one.

I'm almost tempted to pull apart my X0 shifter to have a look (don't have any other XX ones), but I don't want to bugger that up as well. I feel like I now fully understand the logic of everything that makes this thing work, apart from how the spring clip puts tension on the lugs.

Any help much appreciated - if I can get this baby back together I can go for a ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhely View Post
    So I was replacing the cable on my XX shifter and accidentally allowed the inside of the trigger mech to drop out from the bottom. I've downloaded several manuals, exploded diagrams etc, but can't find out where one little spring clip goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG 
Views:	2403 
Size:	450.9 KB 
ID:	793484

The spring clip somehow needs to spread the two lugs that engage with the top mechanism, keeping tension on them at all times. Does anyone know where this spring clip fits into the mechanism? I'm really stumped on this one.

I'm almost tempted to pull apart my X0 shifter to have a look (don't have any other XX ones), but I don't want to bugger that up as well. I feel like I now fully understand the logic of everything that makes this thing work, apart from how the spring clip puts tension on the lugs.

Any help much appreciated - if I can get this baby back together I can go for a ride!

My X5 shifter looks a bit different, but when mine exploded spectacularly when I dismantled it, I ended up carefully pulling apart my LHS shifter to see how it all went together. Go top down, never bottom up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    My X5 shifter looks a bit different, but when mine exploded spectacularly when I dismantled it, I ended up carefully pulling apart my LHS shifter to see how it all went together. Go top down, never bottom up!
    Great idea, but unfortunately I do not have any other XX shifters. I have an XO one, which I started to pull apart, but I'm pretty sure the trigger mech is different to XX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhely View Post
    Great idea, but unfortunately I do not have any other XX shifters. I have an XO one, which I started to pull apart, but I'm pretty sure the trigger mech is different to XX.
    PM me your email address I'll send you photos of when I rebuilt mine; that curved spring looks similar to one on mine. It may help you figure it out where it goes on the XX...

mtbr'er

Solution

To anyone else who's found themselves in this predicament, just as I did, I too can help. The most difficult part of this whole process is reinstalling the tiny 'bow' shaped spring that spreads the shift pins/lugs apart in the lower part of the assembly, inside the large thumb lever. If that spring is not installed properly, the mechanism may appear to work at first but you will soon discover that either the large lever will return but will not ratchet, or will ratchet but not return. Either way, your shifter will not work. According to robhely and another MTBR user I spoke with, there are alternatives to the small bow shaped spring should you lose it, but for now, lets just assume that you have not and you are going to reinstall it. I scoured the internet for hours and hours looking for a photo or diagram illustrating this but to no avail. Fortunately, after a bit of tinkering I figured it out.

HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?-bowspring.jpg

Once the spring is replaced, be very careful not to knock it loose. If you do, it could shoot itself across the room and obviously, it won't be easy to find

Notice the notches on the metal ring around the center of the large thumb lever, and also the notches on the inside of the main assembly. You will see that they mesh together. The tricky part now is getting the wound up coil spring from inside the main assembly hooked back into the retention hole of the outer ring on the large thumb lever and getting it all stuffed back into the main assembly. You will have to pull the coil spring out, but only enough (about 180 showing) to hook it back into the retention hole. Once you have that done, you must then rotate the whole thumb lever assembly so that the orientation of the notches between it and those in the main assembly will mesh. Once you have done so, you will have to use a very small object (I used a tiny flat head screwdriver) to press the coil spring back in while keeping the thumb lever oriented properly. Do NOT force it, or you may end up right back at square one. Carefully use the screwdriver/small object to 'tuck' the spring back in, starting where the spring is already almost inside and working your way around to the retention hole. Once that is done, the lever will sort of 'pop' into place if you have done this correctly, and you will see the pins/lugs that the bow spring fits between protruding through the other side of the main assembly. If you make it to this point, pat yourself on the back - the hard part is done!

HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?-levernotches.jpgHELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?-mainassemblynotches.jpg
    HELP! Has anyone ever successfully re-assembled a Sram XX shifter?-holes.jpg

For the next part, reference the picture robhely posted above. The ratchet mechanism will fit down over the now protruding pins/lugs from the lower lever assembly. Observe which direction they rotate when pressing the large thumb lever, which will be counter-clockwise if looking at them from above. These will fit into the 'slots' of the ratchet mechanism in such a way that they will rotate it from the ends of the slots, and then ratchet back down through them. This may take a few tries, but if you get it wrong, it's very easy to try again - as long as you don't pop the thumb lever/lower assembly back out of the main assembly, so just be very careful not to do so! Once you have everything seated, snug up the top and bottom bolts slightly before you try ratcheting it, as things can pop back out of place easily if you attempt to do so while it's still loose.

If everything is done correctly, the shifter will ratchet like this:
    SRAM XX Trigger Shifter Ratchet - YouTube

I realize these instructions may sound confusing if you've just begun messing with one of these and haven't fully figured out how everything works - so if you have any questions, please ask and I will try to clarify!

Good luck!
    Last edited by NoCoMTB; 11-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Who needs luck when you have a guide with pics like that.....nice work.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks heaps for that post, I was so inspired that I took apart my shifter with the dodgy shims and forced myself to put it back together properly. I discovered exactly what I was doing wrong - I was attempting to install the bow spring with the 'column' removed from the 'barrel' and then slide it up into the mech. The springs pops off every time you try and do this, no matter how careful you are.

Looking at your diagram, I can see that you had completely removed the trigger and were installing the spring from the top down. As soon as I tried that, it took me less than 2 mins to get the entire thing back together and working. I found that I didn't even need to remove the return spring, just lever the top plate (bit with the notch holes in it) from the top of the trigger mech and slip the bow spring in.

Just to make sure I had it down, I took my LH shifter apart and reinstalled it as well, which was just as easy.

As has been demonstrated and in complete contrast to what Sram techs and many bike mechanics have told me, it can be done folks and it's not THAT hard!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the post @NoCoMTB, saved me a trip to the bike shop and a few bucks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    HELPP

Those instructions that are up here are awesome! But the problem i am having is the coil spring, the one that attaches to the trigger that sits inside the main body. Where Does that spring attaches in the main body... Please HELP!