mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Help deciding on crankset?

Looking for a crankset, setting up a 1x10 want to run a 36t NW up front, trying out the praxis 11-40 outback, med cage 10 spd rear derailer on a 1st gen mojo hd..

The xt m8000 crank arms seem good for me, dumb question since this is billed as an 11 sp groupset, can I still run these cranks with my above components, ie 10 speed setup? I wouldn't think there would be any issues, because the chainring is compatible, but I rarely swap drivetrain parts except to replace existing so want to make sure. Any other crank suggestions for this setup would be appreciated!

NedwannaB
    Component wise yes. Only glitche may be clearance on the chainstays for the 36t.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Component wise yes. Only glitche may be clearance on the chainstays for the 36t.
    Thanks Jmac, upon further review, I noticed that the XT cranks say 96 BCD... So therefore I would HAVE to use a Shimano chain ring correct? Which therefore means I would need an 11 speed chain... Which therefore would render my praxis 10 sp cassette and shimano shadow plus 10 sp derailer useless correct??

Seems my best option would be to go with an E13, change out the bottom bracket, and add a Race face ring to that, correct? Unless anyone knows of another company cranking out 10 sp compatible 96/64 BCD rings?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    Thanks Jmac, upon further review, I noticed that the XT cranks say 96 BCD... So therefore I would HAVE to use a Shimano chain ring correct? Which therefore means I would need an 11 speed chain... Which therefore would render my praxis 10 sp cassette and shimano shadow plus 10 sp derailer useless correct??

Seems my best option would be to go with an E13, change out the bottom bracket, and add a Race face ring to that, correct? Unless anyone knows of another company cranking out 10 sp compatible 96/64 BCD rings?
    As far as I know you can run 10spd chain on the XT 1x ring. 2x setup probably not as the pins/ramps would be for 11spd. Unless you saw something different. I have that very same crankset ready to install on my 1x10 setup.

meow meow
    some aftermarket guys are rolling out 96 bcd chainrings, oneup and wolf tooth have them i think. anyways you can use a 10sp chain on an 11sp chainring. or an 11sp chain in a 10sp derailuer. the only difference between chains is plate thickness not inner spacing.

that said my vote would be a race face turbine cinch crankset.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    you can use a 10sp chain on an 11sp chainring. or an 11sp chain in a 10sp derailuer. the only difference between chains is plate thickness not inner spacing
    Yeah that's what I thought. Glitche is running a 10spd chain on an 11spd cassette/2x rings.

So for my "dumb" question (no dissn @ you normarin) can the XT m8000 cranks run a dm style chain ring? I should know but since I have mine hiding in a box until the funds come available for a new cassette and derailleur. 

meow meow
    nope all shimano crassest have a permanent spider. thats why i would recommend rf, e13 and sram.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    nope all shimano crassest have a permanent spider. thats why i would recommend rf, e13 and sram.
    Ugh. So I should sell mine? Lol

mtbr member
    I can't see why an 11 speed XT chainring wont work with a 10 speed chain and cassette. The difference in minuscule. I have a RF NW 30T front ring and it works just fine with 10 or 11 speed chains.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!