Help with a BB, Iron Horse Le- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Help with a BB, Iron Horse Le

Kinda new here, doing a lot more reading than posting. As by my user name you probably know I'm a long time Bmx guy. I have been mtn. biking for over a year but I recently purchased a '07 Le and I really like it, now that it has some decent forks. Not sure what I need as far as a replacement BB, stock one is about shot, creaking and grinding. I pulled one side out and bearings sound bad. What size and what else do I need to know before ordering one. Looks like a euro type but still learning about mtn. bikes. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Flappity flappity flap
    Before you go buying stuff, have you made sure it's not the pedals, and have you checked out the excellent sticky on BB maint?
    I destroy pedals every year or so, but I have much better luck with BB's--regreased external cups more than a couple times, and I don't see myself replacing mine anytime soon.

I couldn't believe it would be anything but ISO--from what you say of 'pulling one side' I'm guessing it has a cup on each side, and the crank is two piece with a self extracting bolt?
    If you need a new one, you should be safe matching the brand of crank to the brand of replacement cups, although there are aftermarkets as well. (I think most of them are on the Shimano standard, although I've heard of GXP adapters)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I hope I ordered the right thing, I went back with the FSA BB-4000 Mega Exo 19 BB English which was a 68mm, best measurements I could come up with a tape measure, my metric ruler is at the shop. I was able to find FSA Mega Exo on the old one. I know there are better BBs but this will do for now I guess.

Flappity flappity flap
    Ha, don't know if we posted at the same time there, but you should be OK.

English/ISO is on most bikes--unless they're new, fancy, and press-fit.
    Make sure you put the spacers in as directed in the instructions, or you're gonna have a 'bad time'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Zowie, you must have been typing as I was, I am new to mtn. bike parts and I got really confused so I did like you suggested went back with what was on it, I think. the whole 68 or 73mm thing was really getting me. Like I said I didn't have my metric ruler. I found more info on my DH Rocky Mountain than my Iron Horse Le. Some BBs just showed 68/73 and same part, sorry to be such a noob, still getting this stuff, Bmx is much easier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    We did it again, he,he! I'll read the instructions for sure and take things apart slowly and set on the bench exactly like they come off. I'm an auto mechanic so I'm sure I'll be fine, sometimes I do the same at the shop if it's something I've never done before. so you think I'll be fine with the whole 68mm thing? Thanks!

Flappity flappity flap
    No prob--Only difference between mounting a set of cups in a 73mm or 68mm is two 2.5mm spacers.

Sounds like you won't have any problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the help and I mean it! I just went out a greased them like the sticky said. I thought these were to far gone but no creaking, going to ride it! At least I have a new BB when it comes in! Thanks again!

Flappity flappity flap
    I hope my exo BB's last many thousands and thousands of miles and hundreds and hundreds of stream crossings, but I know they haven't got a chance unless I have a new one in my box of drivetrain spares. Stupid Murphy's law.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Me too and I know what you mean! I'm going to install my new BB but leave the used on in my tool bag just in case! Seems to be working fine now but I ride a couple places its a good ride to get parts.