mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Having to press way past click to shift on GX, indexing is fine

I have a gx 2x10 converted to 1x10 and to shift down to bigger cogs I have to press way past where it clicks, and it often doesn't shift until I get past the second click. And yes the indexing seems to be adjusted correctly. If I adjust to make the down-shifting easier/faster, then it won't shift up to the smaller cogs. So what I'm doing if I want to shift down one gear is just pressing it past 2 clicks, then clicking the upshifter to compensate for the extra click. Any ideas why this is happening? It was working better but now the downshifting is getting worse and worse despite my double-checking the indexing and limit screws.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    In my experience, it's usually alignment or cable friction.

Take it to a buddy or shop with an alignment tool first
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing cable friction but it's always best to check the hanger alignment first.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    ^^^yeah. Cable friction or housing issue. Housing too short and/or not being fully seated in a stop, poor routing. Worn RD or jockey wheels. Check for straight hanger, correct chain length and B screw adjustment...
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Iíve checked the hanger and itís fine. I measured the chain according to recommendations and it was very loose and dropping sometimes, so I took out a link. It doesnít drop now but could that be part of the issue? I donít think I remember a drop in shifting performance when I took the link out. There didnít seem to be a cable friction issue but Iíll double-check.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Had a similiar problem. Changed cable and housing. Shifts perfectly now

mtbr member
    Start over, look up rear derailleur adjustment on Park Tool's site, and set it up like you're just mounting a new derailleur.
    From your description of what's happening, you may need to back off on your high limit.

And size your chain first.

Never trust a fart
    The very first thing you should check is the derailleur hanger alignment. If it's off, then everything you do will make it worse.

2nd, check cable for excessive friction.

After both the above is checked and/or fixed, then proceed with derailleur hanger setup.

Limit screws only limit the chain from falling behind the cassette into the wheels, or down onto the frame when in the smallest cog. They have zero effect on how the chain moves up or down the cassette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    replace your cable and housing. then set your hi/low screws and fine tune it with the barrel on your derailleur / shifter.

i had this going on last week. a new cable is a lovely thing

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just a quick reply that the problem seemed to mysteriously fix itself. I didn't really do anything and it just started working better. Maybe the cable was catching on something and the something was dislodged. Anyway, thanks for the theories and tips!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crustin View Post
    Just a quick reply that the problem seemed to mysteriously fix itself. I didn't really do anything and it just started working better. Maybe the cable was catching on something and the something was dislodged. Anyway, thanks for the theories and tips!
    Look for loose stands on either end of your shifter cable. You just might need some TLC on the cable and housing

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If your dunking it in streams or getting it heavily mudded up I have seen the derailleur pivot hinge points get stiction that simulates cable stiction. Usually some liquid lube and manual manipulation frees it up.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eye View Post
    replace your cable and housing. then set your hi/low screws and fine tune it with the barrel on your derailleur / shifter.

i had this going on last week. a new cable is a lovely thing

Yeah it's only roughly $10 to change the cable/housing, and I bet 90% of these problems are old gummed up cables. All of my shifting problems like described above was from the cable, every time.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crustin View Post

After reading this again I'm thinking it's a gummy shift lever. Sometimes cold weather or lack of use will exasperate it and and sometimes it can "fix" itself, at least temporarily.

If it happens again try flushing the shift lever out with degreaser or W-D 40.
    I brake for stinkbugs